[News] A Nation Whose Govt Rules Only Its Capital

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 21 08:44:14 EDT 2004

Tuesday, 20, July, 2004 (03, Jumada al-Thani, 1425)

<http://www.arabnews.com/?artid=48646>A Nation Whose Govt Rules Only Its
Capital
Robert Fisk, The Independent ­

NAJAF, 20 July 2004 ­ It was Afghanistan Mk2. For mile after mile south of
Baghdad yesterday, the story was the same: Empty police posts, abandoned
Iraqi Army and police checkpoints and a litter of burned-out American fuel
tankers and rocket-smashed police vehicles down the main highway to Hilla
and Najaf.

Iraqi government officials and Western diplomats tell journalists to avoid
driving out of Baghdad; now I understand why. It is dangerous. But my own
fearful journey far down Highway 8 ­ scene of the murder of at least 15
Westerners ­ proved that the American-appointed Iraqi government controls
little of the land south of the capital. Only in the Sunni Muslim town of
Mahmoudiya ­ scene of a car bomb that exploded outside an Iraqi military
recruiting center last week ­ did I see Iraqi policemen.

They were in a convoy of 11 battered white pick-ups, pointing Kalashnikovs
at the crowds around them, driving onto the wrong side of the road when
they became tangled in a traffic jam, screaming at motorists to clear their
path at rifle point. This was not a frightened American column ­ this was
Iraq’s own new blue-uniformed police force, rifles also directed at the
windows of homes and shops and at the crowd of Iraqis, which surged around
them.

In Iskanderia, I saw two gunmen near the road. I don’t know why they
bothered to stand there. The police had already left their post a few
meters away.

Yes, it is a shameful reflection on our invasion of Iraq ­ let us solemnly
remember ‘weapons of mass destruction’ ­ but it is, above all, a tragedy
for the Iraqis. They endured the repulsive Saddam. They endured our
shameful UN sanctions. They endured our invasion. And now they must endure
the anarchy we call freedom.

In Baghdad, of course, it was the usual story yesterday; a suicide bomber
killing 15 Iraqis and wounding another 62 when he blew up his fuel tanker
bomb next to a police station, and an Iraqi Defense Ministry official
murdered outside his home. And true to the Alice-in-Wonderland world of the
new Iraqi government, 43 new Iraqi ambassadors were appointed around the
world. But who did they represent? Iraq? Or just Baghdad? After the city of
Hilla, I came across the police and a scattering of new Iraqi Army
soldiers. At Kufa, they insisted on escorting my car into the holy city of
Najaf. But miles from the city center, they turned round and told me that
under the terms of the cease-fire with Syed Moqtada Sadr’s ‘Mehdi Army’,
they could drive no further. They were right. Sadr’s militia ­ which the
American army promised to “destroy” last April ­ guards the old city, the
main roads to the mosque and the entrance to the great shrine of the Imam Ali.

Indeed, deep inside this wondrous and golden tiled contribution to Islamic
architecture ­ in an air conditioned office heavy with Chinese pots and
Iranian carpets ­ I found the man who helped draw up the map for the US
military to retreat after they abandoned their siege of Moqtada Sadr’s
forces. “The Americans gave us a map and asked us which roads they could
patrol,” Moqtada Sadr’s right-hand man, the turbaned Sheikh Ali Smaisin,
told me in the Najaf shrine yesterday. “I sat with the other members of the
‘Beit Shia’ (the Shia House, which combines a number of local political
groups, including the Dawa party) and we set out the roads on which the
Americans would be permitted to make their patrols. This map was then
returned to the American side and they accepted our choices for roads they
could control.”

I was not surprised. US forces are now under so many daily guerrilla
attacks that they cannot move by daylight along Highway 8 or, indeed, west
of Baghdad through Fallujah or Ramadi. Across Iraq, their helicopters can
fly no higher than 100 meters for fear of rocket attack ­ the insurgents
have little time to fire when US helicopters approach at so low an altitude
and at such high speed ­ and, save for a solitary A1M1 Abrams tank on a
motorway bridge in the Baghdad suburbs, I saw only one other American
vehicle on the road yesterday: A solitary Humvee driving along a patrol
road in Najaf agreed by the ‘Mehdi Army.’ Three far-away American Apache
helicopters were hedge-hopping their way toward the Euphrates River.

That the ‘muqawama’ ­ the resistance ­ controls so many hundreds of square
miles around Baghdad should be no great surprise. The new
American-appointed Iraqi government has neither the police nor the soldiers
to retake the land. They announce martial laws and telephone tapping and
bans on demonstrations and a new intelligence service ­ but have neither
the manpower nor the ability to turn these institutions into anything more
than propaganda dreams for foreign journalists and a population that does
desperately crave security.

Even the cease-fire agreement set out between the Americans and the ‘Mehdi
Army’ is astonishing in its breadth. According to Sheikh Smaisin, it
allowed the police to return to their checkpoints outside the city and the
abandonment of official buildings by members of the ‘Mehdi Army’.

I found the police back in control of their station at Kufa, a large
American tank shell-hole through the wall as a reminder of the recent
fighting. Article Three states that no-one can be arrested or captured,
Article Four that there should be no public carrying of weapons ­ the
‘Mehdi Army’ certainly appeared to be abiding by this clause yesterday.
Articles Five and Six say that “occupation forces” ­ the Americans ­ must
return to and remain in their bases except for small patrol routes which
they can use to reach these fortifications. Astonishingly, the final clause
­ still under debate when the Americans ‘transferred’ power on June 28 to
the Iraqi government they created ­ calls for the withdrawal of all legal
charges against Moqtada Sadr for the murder of Syed Abdul-Majid Al-Khoi
last year. When revealed by the occupation authorities more than six months
after they had been secretly drawn up, the second most senior US officer in
Iraq said that as a result of the accu! sations, his forces would “kill or
capture” Sadr.

But it was Sadr’s men who courteously greeted me at their checkpoint in
Najaf yesterday and took me to speak to Sheikh Smaisin at the Imam Ali
complex. He complained that US troops had several times broken the
cease-fire. “Two weeks ago, two of their Humvees turned up outside Syed
Moqtada Sadr’s home and the soldiers on them began questioning people. We
told our forces not to open fire and we complained and then these soldiers
were withdrawn.”

Sadr’s forces ­ “a public current,” Sheikh Smaisin calls them with
unexpected discretion ­ supposedly suffered less than a hundred casualties
in the American attack; the Americans say they killed 400 of them. Smaisin
has little time for such statistics. “What we see in the occupation is
American force with a British brain,” he says. “This is just the same as
the British occupation of Basra in 1914 and Baghdad in 1917. Our movement
cannot be overcome because we are patriotic and Islamic, just like the
forces opposing the occupation in the Sunni areas of Iraq. The Westerners
want to set up a sectarian government but we don’t accept this. Now they
have an insurrection from Fao in the south to Kirkuk in the north. Shia and
Sunni are together. And any government that is not elected in free and
honest elections ­ well, there’s a problem there.” So much, then, for the
Iyad Allawi government, even if the Shia insurrection is a shadow of the
Sunni version.

But the evidence of my journey yesterday ­ through the southern Sunni
cities which long ago rejected American rule, to the holiest Shia city
where its own militia controls the shrines and the square miles around them
­ suggested that Allawi controls a capital without a country.

It took me two weeks to arrange my trip and I traveled with a Muslim cleric
in my car who urged me to read my Arabic newspaper whenever urchins
approached in the crowded cities to urge my driver to buy window sponges.
They would run their sponges over the windows of the car and stare inside,
looking ­ so we believed ­ for foreigners. They were spotters. And they
didn’t see me.

But what I saw was infinitely more disturbing: A nation whose government
rules only its capital, a country about which we fantasize at our peril.