[News] 2nd Report of the Haiti Accompaniment Project

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 2 08:42:43 EST 2004

The Haiti Accompaniment Project

We are much relieved to learn of the release of Rev. Gerard Jean-Juste on
November 29, (one of the few prisoners released by the interim government
in the nine months since February 29).  Jean-Juste was arrested under
questionable circumstances, never formally charged and held in illegal
detention for nearly seven weeks.  The interim government finally honored a
court order for his release after a sustained, international campaign in
support of Rev. Jean-Juste.

Dozens of prisoners have received similar court orders for release, yet
they still languish in their cells (-- in some cases after four months or
more of inaction).  The interim government now holds an estimated 700
political prisoners in Haiti’s prisons – all of them arrested since the end
of February.

The Haiti Accompaniment Project secured unparalleled access to Haiti’s
prisons, where we met hundreds of prisoners, three dozen of whom we
interviewed formally.  We are pleased to release the Second Report of the
Haiti Accompaniment Project, which documents the human rights conditions in
Haiti’s prisons -- including the use of arbitrary arrests, the absence of
due process and the fact of prolonged, illegal detention in Haiti during
the period from February to July 2004.

The human rights situation in Haiti has grown much worse since the time of
our investigation, with an upsurge in violence by interim authorities, and
ever more arrests.  Each day, individuals are targeted for arrest and
people are swept off the streets.   The prisoner population continues to
climb as the interim authorities scramble to open new detention centers to
hold their prisoners.

As International Human Rights Day approaches this December 10, we applaud
the work of the many human rights organizations who have worked tirelessly
for justice in Haiti.  We support the call by UN General Secretary Kofi
Annan for Haiti to release these political prisoners.  We hope this report
will serve to shed further light on this central instrument of political
repression in Haiti since February 29th.

For more information, please contact us via
<mailto:lesliefleming at mindspring.com>lesliefleming at mindspring.com.