[News] Ray Luc Levasseur released after 20 years

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Sun Aug 8 11:59:26 EDT 2004

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local/040807lavasseur.shtml
Saturday, August 7, 2004

Paroled radical glad to be back in Maine

By GISELLE GOODMAN, Portland Press Herald Writer

<http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/local//copyright.shtml>Copyright ©
2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
2ea1fd.jpg

2ea27a.jpg
Staff photo by Jill Brady

Raymond Luc Levasseur, 57, arrives Friday at the Portland International
Jetport. He was arrested in 1984 in a string of bombings and bank robberies
over a nine-year period.

Jamila Levy Levasseur hugs her husband, Raymond Luc Levasseur, just before
he enters Pharos House in Portland. He will live at the halfway house and
is scheduled to be released Nov. 4. Until then, he will only be able to
leave the house to look for work or attend religious services.

The man Portland Police Chief Michael Chitwood described as "truly a
revolutionary" arrived Friday afternoon at the Portland International
Jetport, ready to settle back into the city as a changed man.

Raymond Luc Levasseur, now 57, was a member of the "Ohio Seven," a group
responsible for 19 bombings and 10 bank robberies over a nine-year period
that began in the 1970s. Arrested in the 1980s, Levasseur has spent the
past 20 years in custody for his role in the crimes.

Chitwood asserted Thursday that Levasseur still poses a threat, and said he
doesn't believe Levasseur is rehabilitated. But Jamila Levy Levasseur said
her husband is not the dangerous man authorities make him out to be.

"We've all changed in 30 years. I have complete confidence that he can make
it. He's not going to be returning to prison. He intends to live a
law-abiding life," she said outside Pharos House, a halfway house on Grant
Street where her husband will spend the next three months.

"The U.S. Probations and Parole (Office) would not have granted him parole
and would not have approved his coming to this halfway house if they didn't
believe he was safe," Jamila Levasseur said. "I believe he'll be an asset
to the community."

In 1986, Raymond Levasseur was sentenced to 45 years in prison for his role
in numerous bombings at corporate offices and military installations. He
became eligible for parole after 10 years of imprisonment. He was released
after serving 20 years, to be supervised by the government for the
remainder of his sentence, minus credit for good behavior. He is still
technically serving his sentence in the community.

"Mr. Levasseur will be under supervision for a long time," said Claire
Cooper, chief of the federal Office of Probation and Parole.

He will live at Pharos House until his scheduled release Nov. 4. He will
only be able to leave the building to look for work or attend religious
services. While on parole, Levasseur will be required to stay in the state
and keep in touch with his parole officer, and he is barred from using
illegal drugs or engaging in criminal conduct.

A parole violation could result in having to complete his sentence in prison.

At the jetport, where he arrived about 5 p.m. on Delta Flight 1706 from
Atlanta, Levasseur claimed he could not talk about his past because of
parole restrictions. But he did say he was happy to be home.

"I'm from Maine. This is where I grew up, this is where my family is. It's
where my heart is," he said in a jetport parking garage surrounded by
reporters. Looking worn and sporting less hair than he did the last time he
was chased by reporters, he said he was most looking forward to reuniting
with his family.

"I want to see my mom, my mama, she's going to be 83 in a couple of weeks,"
he said. "She's my No. 1 supporter since I was in Vietnam. She always stood
by me."

He left the airport in a car displaying a bumper sticker that said:
"Solidarity."

Levasseur grew up in Sanford and joined the Army at age 19. He served in
Vietnam, where he became radicalized by what he saw as racist treatment of
the Vietnamese people. He received an honorable discharge and came to
Portland in 1971 after spending time in jail for selling marijuana.

Once here, he joined with Thomas Manning and worked on anti-war causes. In
1975 he was arrested in Connecticut on a firearms violation, then jumped
bail. On the run for the next nine years, he, Manning, their wives,
children and allies moved around, committing the bombings and robberies
that eventually sent Levasseur to jail.

He was married at the time to Patricia Gros, who was arrested with him in
1985. Manning, meanwhile, admitted to killing a New Jersey state trooper,
claiming self-defense. He was sentenced to 80 years in prison in addition
to 53 years for a separate bombing conviction.

Some Portland police officers are hopeful Levasseur's return to the city
won't be problematic.

"He's on parole and he has a plan associated with that," said Deputy Chief
William Ridge. "He's a smart guy. He'll know how to make it through the plan."

The fact that Levasseur is settling in next door to him on Grant Street
doesn't bother Doug Sneed. He said Levasseur has paid for his crimes.

"The guy's 50 years old. He's a grandfather. He's not a threat to society,"
Sneed said. "At 50, what's he going to do, go out and rob banks? What
revolution? There is no more revolution. Those times are gone."

Staff writers Gregory Kesich and David Hench contributed to this report.

RAYMOND LEVASSEUR: BOMBINGS, THEN ON THE RUN

May 1977: Raymond Levasseur's name is placed on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted
List.

November 1984: Seven years as a fugitive end with his arrest by the FBI in
Deerfield, Ohio.

March 1986: Levasseur and five other radicals are tried in U.S. District
Court in New York for numerous bombings at corporate offices and military
installations. Levasseur is convicted and, a month later, sentenced to 45
years in prison.

August 2004: Police say Levasseur is about to be paroled to a federal
halfway house in Portland.

SOME OF THE 22 bombings linked to Levasseur's groups:

April 1976: Suffolk County Courthouse in Boston.

May 1976: Central Maine Power's headquarters in Augusta.

July 1976: U.S. Post Office, Seabrook, N.H.

May 1983: Roosevelt Army Reserve Center, Long Island and Navy Reserve
Center, Queens, N.Y.

September 1984: Union Carbide offices, Mt. Pleasant, N.Y.