[Ppnews] Haiti - Gerard Jean Juste message from prison

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 27 20:37:04 EDT 2005

From: zili danto <erzilidanto at yahoo.com>
Subject: Father Gerard Jean Juste speaks from Jail, Sept. 27, 2005

Dear Friends:
     Your work has been having results - keep up the
pressure!  The cause of justice in Haiti is moving
forward.

     Today in Port au Prince Condoleeza Rice made a
point to challenge the unjust legal system in Haiti.
She held up Yvon Neptune and myself as examples of how
the system continues to work injustices for the people
of our country.

      There is no doubt that your pressure is making
the US and the UN face the injustices in Haiti.
     Every one of you who has demonstrated, written a
letter, made a phone call, stood up for justice in
Haiti - I thank you.

     You have uplifted my spirits and the spirits of
all who struggle against the machinery of injustice.

     I am holding on to the log of hope in the swirling
waters of injustice.  The church tried to knock my
hands off the log when they suspended my priestly
duties when someone tried to register me as a
candidate for president.  I am appealing the decision
to suspend me from priestly duties.  Since I am not a
candidate for the election for president I should be
able to continue my service as a priest.  But I cannot
do that until I have the canon law books to defend
myself.  But I will do it when I can.

     Contrast how the church treated me with the recent
case of two white belgian priests who were being
deported by the Dominican Republic for standing with
the Haitian poor in that country.  I salute my
brothers for taking that action.  There the church
stood with them and even the papal nuncio came to
their defense.  Why is it different when I try to
stand with the poor of Haiti?  I too am a friend of
the poor, why is there no church support.

     That is why I was so happy to see all the church
leaders from many faiths sign onto a letter asking for
my release - your courage helps me and will hopefully
help our sisters and brothers of faith in haiti
struggle for justice and peace.

     I want to hold on to the log of hope and cross
over the waters of injustice to freedom and to
continue serving the people of Haiti.

     I am very sensitive about the people in the St.
Claire's community.  As you know, the church serves
hundreds of meals to hungry children several times a
week.  We are only able to do this with the help of
the What If Foundation and Margaret Trost and all
those who join in helping the poor.  Please support
this work and help continue our program of feeding the
poor.

     Punish me but do not punish the poor people.
Even though I am currently under suspension, the
people sould not suffer.

     Thank you for uplifting my spirits and keep up the
pressure for human rights and justice for all the
people of Haiti!

     Pere Gerard Jean-Juste
     Pacot Annex Haitian National Penitentiary

**

Dictated to Bill Quigley, September 27, 2005 in
prison.

Bill Quigley is a professor of law at Loyola
University New Orleans and is assisting Mario Joseph
of BAI in his representation of Fr. Jean-Juste.

Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network