[News] The System That Failed Eric Garner and Michael Brown Cannot Be Reformed

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 4 13:18:36 EST 2014

    The System That Failed Eric Garner and Michael Brown Cannot Be
    Reformed
    <http://www.thenation.com/blog/191929/system-failed-eric-garner-and-michael-brown-cannot-be-reformed>

Mychal Denzel Smith
<http://www.thenation.com/authors/mychal-denzel-smith> on December 3,
2014 - 5:50 PM ET
*http://www.thenation.com/blog/191929/system-failed-eric-garner-and-michael-brown-cannot-be-reformed*

That a grand jury decided not to indict NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo for
killing 43-year-old Eric Garner the same week that President Obama
proposed
<http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/obama-announce-75-million-body-cameras>
spending $75 million in federal money to outfit 50,000 police officers
across the country with body cameras would seem to be hack Hollywood
writing with neatly applied plot points. Garner's death was caught on
video---video that the police were aware was being taken---and it still
was not enough to indict anyone, least of all the man responsible for
choking Garner to death, for any type of wrongdoing. It's as if this
decision was handed to us at this time in order to get us to say, "Now
what?"

So... now what? We can move forward with this notion that police
officers wearing body cameras will make them more judicious in their use
of force, but it seems pretty clear that they just don't give a fuck,
and the court system is content to allow them to keep on not giving a
fuck. And we'll be right back here when they don't indict the officer
who killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/12/02/cleveland-cop-said-he-had-no-choice-but-to-shoot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-father-says/>
in Cleveland.

So... now what? Not much, so long as the reverence paid to police
officers lends itself to deference. They are not regarded as citizens
also beholden to the law. They are an armed force charged with
maintenance of a status quo steeped in white supremacy and
anti-blackness. Key to the reign is the suspension of a belief in the
rule of law. Whatever tools they require for to carry out their actual
purpose, the public and the courts are eagerly ready to provide.

So... now what? Body cameras seem like a good idea when we think the
issue is there isn't enough evidence with which to hold police
accountable. They're a good idea if we think the issue is
accountability. Other things get tossed around, like diversifying police
forces (the NYPD is among the most diverse in the country). That sounds
like a good idea if we think the problem is sensitivity or cultural
miscommunication. We are thinking wrong.

We keep applying the language and framework of accountability, diversity
and sensitivity to an issue of oppression. We are attempting to fly an
airplane with the keys to a motorcycle. Our tools are woefully
inadequate, and until we are ready to admit to ourselves that the police
are an inherently oppressive force, and then use the language of
anti-oppression and anti-racism in our analysis and solutions, it will
not end today, as Eric Garner had hoped. The dead bodies of black folks
will continue to line our streets and sidewalks, and they will be
treated no better than the roadkill with whom they occupy those spaces.

Last night, at an event addressing racial profiling on the campus of
Vassar College
<http://miscellanynews.org/2014/12/02/news/vassar-community-outraged-at-margolis-healy-report-demand-answers-from-administration/>,
a student told their administration that putting body cameras on
security guards was like "Band-Aids to a bullet hole." I was in
attendance and was struck by just how literal that phrasing was. We are
being choked and shot with impunity, and yet all that is being offered
to us in response is a means to relive the experience over and over
again. But we already do.