<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
<font size="-1">
<div class="entry-date"><big><big>May 15, 201<br>
<small><small><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/15/how-the-us-turned-three-pacifists-into-violent-terrorists/">http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/15/how-the-us-turned-three-pacifists-into-violent-terrorists/</a></small></small><br>
<div style="float: right;"><big><big> </big></big>
<div style="float: left;"><big><big><a
<div class="subheadlinestyle"><big><big>The Persecution of the Oak
Ridge Three</big></big></div>
<h1 class="article-title">How the US Turned Three Pacifists Into
Violent Terrorists</h1>
<div class="mainauthorstyle"><big><big>by FRAN QUIGLEY</big></big></div>
<div class="main-text">
<p><big><big>In just ten months, the United States managed to transform
an 82 year-old Catholic nun and two pacifists from non-violent
anti-nuclear peace protestors accused of misdemeanor trespassing into
federal felons convicted of violent crimes of terrorism.  Now in jail
awaiting sentencing for their acts at an Oak Ridge, TN nuclear weapons
production facility, their story should chill every person concerned
about dissent in the US.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Here is how it happened.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>In the early morning hours of Saturday June 28, 2012,
long-time peace activists Sr. Megan Rice, 82, Greg Boertje-Obed, 57,
and Michael Walli, 63, cut through the chain link fence surrounding the
Oak Ridge Y-12 nuclear weapons production facility and trespassed onto
the property.  Y-12, called the Fort Knox of the nuclear weapons
industry, stores hundreds of metric tons of highly enriched uranium and
works on every single one of the thousands of nuclear weapons
maintained by the U.S.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Describing themselves as the Transform Now Plowshares, the
three came as non-violent protestors to symbolically disarm the
weapons. They carried bibles, written statements, peace banners, spray
paint, flower, candles, small baby bottles of blood, bread, hammers
with biblical verses on them and wire cutters. Their intent was to
follow the words of Isaiah 2:4: “They shall beat their swords into
plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift
up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Sr. Megan Rice has been a Catholic sister of the Society
of the Holy Child Jesus for over sixty years.  Greg Boertje-Obed, a
married carpenter who has a college age daughter, is an Army veteran
and lives at a Catholic Worker house in Duluth Minnesota.  Michael
Walli, a two-term Vietnam veteran turned peacemaker, lives at the
Dorothy Day Catholic Worker house in Washington DC.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>In the dark, the three activists cut through a boundary
fence which had signs stating “No Trespassing.”  The signs indicate
that unauthorized entry, a misdemeanor, is punishable by up to 1 year
in prison and a $100,000 fine.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>No security arrived to confront them.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>So the three climbed up a hill through heavy brush,
crossed a road, and kept going until they saw the Highly Enriched
Uranium Materials Facility (HEUMF) surrounded by three fences, lit up
by blazing lights.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Still no security.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>So they cut through the three fences, hung up their peace
banners, and spray-painted peace slogans on the HEUMF.  Still no
security arrived.  They began praying and sang songs like “Down by the
Riverside” and “Peace is Flowing Like a River.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>When security finally arrived at about 4:30 am, the three
surrendered peacefully, were arrested, and jailed.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The next Monday July 30, Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli
were arraigned and charged with federal trespassing, a misdemeanor
charge which carries a penalty of up to one year in jail.  Frank
Munger, an award-winning journalist with the <i>Knoxville News Sentinel</i>,
was the first to publicly wonder, “If unarmed protesters dressed in
dark clothing could reach the plant’s core during the cover of dark, it
raised questions about the plant’s security against more menacing
<p><big><big>On Wednesday August 1, all nuclear operations at Y-12 were
ordered to be put on hold in order for the plant to focus on security. 
The “security stand-down” was ordered by security contractor in charge
of Y-12, B&W Y-12 (a joint venture of the Babcock and Wilcox
Company and Bechtel National Inc.) and supported by the National
Nuclear Security Administration.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>On Thursday August 2, Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli
appeared in court for a pretrial bail hearing.  The government asked
that all three be detained.  One prosecutor called them a potential
“danger to the community” and asked that all three be kept in jail
until their trial.  The US Magistrate allowed them to be released.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Sr. Megan Rice walked out of the jail and promptly
admitted to gathered media that the three had indeed gone onto the
property and taken action in protest of nuclear weapons.  “But we had
to — we were doing it because we had to reveal the truth of the
criminality which is there, that’s our obligation,” Rice said. She also
challenged the entire nuclear weapons industry: “We have the power, and
the love, and the strength and the courage to end it and transform the
whole project, for which has been expended more than 7.2 trillion
dollars,” she said “The truth will heal us and heal our planet, heal
our diseases, which result from the disharmony of our planet caused by
the worst weapons in the history of mankind, which should not exist. 
For this we give our lives — for the truth about the terrible existence
of these weapons.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Then the government began increasing the charges against
the anti-nuclear peace protestors.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The day after the Magistrate ordered the release of Rice,
Boertje-Obed, and Walli, a Department of Energy (DOE) agent swore out a
federal criminal complaint against the three for damage to federal
property, a felony punishable by zero to five years in prison, under 18
US Code Section 1363.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The DOE agent admitted the three carried a letter which
stated, “We come to the Y-12 facility because our very humanity rejects
the designs of nuclearism, empire and war.  Our faith in love and
nonviolence encourages us to believe that our activity here is
necessary; that we come to invite transformation, undo the past and
present work of Y-12; disarm and end any further efforts to increase
the Y-12 capacity for an economy and social structure based on
war-making and empire-building.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Now, Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli were facing one
misdemeanor and one felony and up to six years in prison.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>But the government did not stop there.  The next week, the
charges were enlarged yet again.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>On Tuesday August 7, the U.S. expanded the charges against
the peace activists to three counts.  The first was the original charge
of damage to Y-12 in violation of 18 US Code 1363, punishable by up to
five years in prison.  The second was an additional damage to federal
property in excess of $1000 in violation of 18 US Code 1361, punishable
by up to ten years in prison. The third was a trespassing charge, a
misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in prison under 42 US Code
<p><big><big>Now they faced up to sixteen years in prison. And the
actions of the protestors started to receive national and international
<p><big><big>On August 10, 2012, the New York Times ran a picture of
Sr. Megan Rice on page one under the headline “The Nun Who Broke into
the Nuclear Sanctum.”  Citing nuclear experts, the paper of record
called their actions “the biggest security breach in the history of the
nation’s atomic complex.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>At the end of August 2012, the Inspector General of the
Department of Energy issued at comprehensive report on the security
breakdown at Y-12.  Calling the peace activists trespassers, the report
indicated that the three were able to get as far as they did because of
“multiple system failures on several levels.” The cited failures
included cameras broken for six months, ineptitude in responding to
alarms, communication problems, and many other failures of the
contractors and the federal monitors.  The report concluded that
“Ironically, the Y-12 breach may have been an important “wake-up” call
regarding the need to correct security issues at the site.”</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>On October 4, 2012, the defendants announced that they had
been advised that, unless they pled guilty to at least one felony and
the misdemeanor trespass charge, the U.S. would also charge them with
sabotage against the U.S. government, a much more serious charge.  Over
3000 people signed a petition to U.S. Attorney General Holder asking
him not to charge them with sabotage.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>But on December 4, 2012, the U.S. filed a new indictment
of the protestors.  Count one was the promised new charge of sabotage. 
Defendants were charged with intending to injure, interfere with, or
obstruct the national defense of the United States and willful damage
of national security premises in violation of 18 US Code 2155,
punishable with up to 20 years in prison.  Counts two and three were
the previous felony property damage charges, with potential prison
terms of up to fifteen more years in prison.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Gone entirely was the original misdemeanor charge of
trespass.  Now Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli faced up to thirty-five
years in prison.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>In a mere five months, government charges transformed them
from misdemeanor trespassers to multiple felony saboteurs.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The government also successfully moved to strip the three
from presenting any defenses or testimony about the harmful effects of
nuclear weapons.   The U.S. Attorney’s office filed a document they
called “Motion to Preclude Defendants from Introducing Evidence in
Support of Certain Justification Defenses.”  In this motion, the U.S.
asked the court to bar the peace protestors from being allowed to put
on any evidence regarding the illegality of nuclear weapons, the
immorality of nuclear weapons, international law, or religious, moral
or political beliefs regarding nuclear weapons, the Nuremberg
principles developed after WWII, First Amendment protections, necessity
or US policy regarding nuclear weapons.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli argued against the motion.
But, despite powerful testimony by former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey
Clark, a declaration from an internationally renowned physician and
others, the Court ruled against defendants.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>Meanwhile, Congress was looking into the security breach,
and media attention to the trial grew with a remarkable story in the
Washington Post, with CNN coverage and AP and Reuters joining in.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The trial was held in Knoxville in early May 2012. The
three peace activists were convicted on all counts.  Rice,
Boertje-Obed, and Walli all took the stand, admitted what they had
done, and explained why they did it.  The federal manager of Y-12 said
the protestors had damaged the credibility of the site in the U.S. and
globally and even claimed that their acts had an impact on nuclear
<p><big><big>As soon as the jury was dismissed, the government moved to
jail the protestors because they had been convicted of “crimes of
violence.”  The government argued that cutting the fences and
spray-painting slogans was property damage such as to constitute crimes
of violence so the law obligated their incarceration pending sentencing.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The defense pointed out that Rice, Boertje-Obed, and Walli
had remained free since their arrest without incident. The government
attorneys argued that two of the protestors had violated their bail by
going to a congressional hearing about the Y-12 security problems, an
act that had been approved by their parole officers.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>The three were immediately jailed.  In its decision
affirming their incarceration pending their sentencing, the court ruled
that both the sabotage and the damage to property convictions were
defined by Congress as federal crimes of terrorism.  Since the charges
carry potential sentences of ten years or more, the Court ruled there
was a strong presumption in favor of incarceration which was not
outweighed by any unique circumstances that warranted their release
pending sentencing.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>These non-violent peace activists now sit in jail as
federal prisoners, awaiting their sentencing on September 23, 2012.</big></big></p>
<p><big><big>In ten months, an 82-year-old nun and two pacifists had
been successfully transformed by the U.S. government from non-violent
anti-nuclear peace protestors accused of misdemeanor trespassing into
felons convicted of violent crimes of terrorism.</big></big></p>
<p><i><big><big><strong>Fran Quigley</strong> is the director of the
Health and Human Rights Clinic at Indiana University McKinney School of
Law.  </big></big><br>
<div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
Freedom Archives
522 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
415 863.9977
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.freedomarchives.org">www.freedomarchives.org</a>