<font size=3>
<a href="http://www.counterpunch.org/stclair02192010.html" eudora="autourl">
</a></font><font face="Verdana" size=2 color="#990000">February 19 - 21,
</font><h1><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4><b>A Casualty of
GreenScare <br><br>
</i></font><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=5 color="#990000">The
Case of Briana Waters
</b></font></h1><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4>By JOSHUA
</font><font face="Verdana" size=6 color="#990000">S</font>
<font face="Verdana" size=2>moke billowed as a wing of the University of
Washington's Center of Urban Horticulture burned in the early morning
hours of Monday, May 21, 2001. It was not the result of a science
experiment gone awry -- it was arson.<br><br>
Situated under a tree, safe from the heat of the blazing inferno, were
boxes of little snakes staked neatly on top of one another, prompting
former UW researcher Valerie Easton to wonder "who would torch 20
years of research and plant and book collections, yet take the time to
save a couple of pet snakes?" They must have been amateurs she
thought, not entirely certain why anyone would want to burn the research
center to the ground.<br><br>
The group of five men and women, associated with the covert Earth
Liberation Front (ELF), broke into the building through a window,
connected a digital timer to a 9-volt battery, which in turn was hooked
up to an igniter that was positioned to spark tubs filled with gasoline.
When the timer went off the igniter clicked and the gasoline blew. The
result was a small, yet fierce explosion that spread fast through the
University’s modern science facility.<br><br>
The flames, first spotted by campus security, were so intense that it
took fire fighters two hours to quell, but the damage was done. UW
claimed over $3 million in loses. Botany labs burned and decades of
scientific research was lost. Investigators had no leads and only
suspicions of who was behind the mysterious arson.<br><br>
Five days after the fire investigators got their first tip in the form of
a press release dispatched by Craig Rosebraugh in Portland, which claimed
the ELF was behind the attack. The target was UW professor Toby Bradshaw,
who received funding from timber industry to develop fast-growing
cross-pollinated poplar trees, which are used to produce paper and lumber
products. The genes Bradshaw identified through trial and error
cross-pollination experiments were used by Oregon State University
professor Steve Strauss who took the genes, often resistant to specific
diseases, and inserted them into poplar seeds creating genetically
engineered (GE) organisms. Bradshaw in turn grew these poplar trees in
greenhouses at UW.<br><br>
Many environmentalists believe GE trees are, as the ELF’s communiqué
stated, “an ecological nightmare.”  The development of GE
applications in nature, in the absence of environmental safeguards, is a
recipe for disaster. Wild trees can interbreed with GE trees causing
problems scientists can only speculate about. Genes from GE poplar trees,
for example, are free, just like pollen or seeds that blow with the wind
and can invade forests, spreading fast and disrupting the genetic
diversity that allows forest ecology to evolve naturally over time.
The ELF activists targeted Prof. Bradshaw’s lab for this reason, but they
missed their mark. The fire did not damage the majority of Bradshaw’s
actual scientific research. He made backups of all of his work, which was
previously targeted by anti-GE activists during the WTO protests in 1999.
Bradshaw was not happy about being on placed on the ELF’s
“It's very hard to have a discussion with [these types of
environmentalists]. The most vocal critics don't know very much about the
science,” Bradshaw publicly bemoaned.  “They don't have the ability
to distinguish good science from bad science or even non-science. They
just don't have the background ... In order to support (the) ELF, you
have to espouse terrorism as a tactic which after Sept. 11, I think is
pretty untenable.”<br><br>
And just like that the radical environmentalists who besieged Bradshaw’s
work at UW were deemed a terrorist threat even though they were
meticulous in the execution of their act, making sure nobody would be
injured. Their target was property, not human life. They did their
homework, ensuring that janitors were not on duty that night, and despite
what the mainstream media reported about Bradshaw’s research, they knew
exactly what type of science the professor was practicing and where his
research funds originated.<br><br>
"[These people are] anti-intellectual bigots incapable of making a
reasoned argument in a public forum, but capable only of throwing a
firebomb in the dead of night," Bradshaw wrote in a sternly worded
opinion piece for the <i>Seattle Post-Intelligencer</i> shortly after the
The ornery professor remained undeterred, but it was clear the ELF act
had struck a nerve.<br><br>
</font><div align="center"><font face="Verdana" size=2 color="#990000">
<font face="Verdana" size=2>The UW research facility was just one in a
string of attacks by the nebulous group, and as a result in 2004 the FBI
merged seven of its on-going investigations into “Operation Backfire” in
an attempt to round up the eco-bandits who allegedly struck a Vail ski
resort, a horse slaughterhouse, and even an SUV dealership. <br><br>
“Investigating and preventing animal rights and environmental extremism
is one of the FBI's highest domestic terrorism priorities,” said FBI
Director Robert Mueller. “We are committed to working with our partners
to disrupt and dismantle these movements, to protect our fellow citizens,
and to bring to justice those who commit crime and terrorism in the name
of animal rights or environmental issues.”<br><br>
Until the FBI coordinated efforts with local authorities and other
agencies, they didn’t have much to work with in regard to the UW fire. No
real evidence was left behind, and any that did exist went up in smoke.
They needed someone on the inside to come forward, who would name names
and point fingers. The FBI found the informant they needed in late spring
2003 and the fact that their man was a heroin addict by the name of Jacob
Ferguson was a tattooed strung out drifter who traveled across the
country, apparently leaving nothing but ashes behind. He admitted to over
a dozen arsons, mostly in Oregon where he spent the majority of his time.
He claimed to know almost every member of the ELF, and became the FBI’s
go-to guy in amassing hours upon hours of tape recordings of
conversations he had with his friends. As a drug abuser, Ferguson likely
came forward ready to tell all, or make up stories, in order to cash in
the reward of $50,000 the FBI announced in May of 2004 that they would
offer anyone with information about the UW fire.<br><br>
Ferguson’s drug use may have made him vulnerable to the FBI’s persuasive
ways, and money is usually a great impetus for junkies with heroin
habits. Over the course of almost two years Ferguson was showing up in
places he had not been seen before. He’d been sighted at environmental
law conferences and Earth First! outings, events he avoided in the past,
likely wired the entire time, recording conversations that had nothing to
do with the FBI investigation.<br><br>
When news broke in late December 2005 that Ferguson was a “government
witness”, anger spread like an ELF fire across the Pacific Northwest
environmental community. Acquaintances turned to enemies, and some even
left responses about their former ally on Portland’s Independent Media
webpage in contempt for his actions.<br><br>
“The entire [investigation] … seems to rest on the words, actions and
credibility of this one man, a man we now learn has lived a double life.
In a community where there is consensus distrust, even disgust for the
federal government and especially its law enforcement operatives, Jake
pretended he was one of us. He was and is one of them,” commented a
poster named Mongoose.  “How long has Jake been a federal narc? The
reason this issue is critical turns on the fact that some of the alleged
arsons may actually have been planned or implemented with federal law
enforcement help. That could well constitute entrapment.”<br><br>
It wasn’t long after Ferguson turned informant that the FBI began rapping
on doors of environmental activists across the country, picking up where
Ferguson left off. He was leading them straight to his friends, people
who welcomed him into their homes and around their dinner tables. It
seemed as if Ferguson would do whatever it took to keep himself out of
prison, even if that meant losing those people who were closest to
The chase started by Ferguson eventually led to the front stoop of a
wholesome violin teacher living in Berkeley, California in 2004. Briana
Waters, 32 at the time, was not someone you’d peg for a terrorist. She
simply didn’t look the type. A strung out Ferguson, on the other hand,
with a pentagram tattoo sprawled across his balding head, fit the
stereotypical profile a bit better. He looked like an arsonist. Waters
looked like a young mother, which was exactly what she was.<br><br>
Raised in suburban Philadelphia, Waters came from an upper-middle class
household and left her family behind to attend college at Evergreen State
College in Olympia, Washington in the late 1990s. Evergreen is a bastion
of progressive activism and has a strong reputation for turning out
radical students, with the list including Rachel Corrie who lost her life
while standing up to an Israeli Defense Force bulldozer in an attempt a
spare a Palestinian home from demolition in 2003. Waters and Corrie were
Evergreen students at the same time, and like Corrie, Waters was a
committed, well-known activist on campus. <br><br>
Waters headed up the animal rights group on campus and was committed to
naturalist education, leading hikes through the nearby wilderness on
weekends teaching people about the native flora. By her senior year
Waters was becoming seasoned environmental activist, cutting her teeth as
a tree-sitter in an effort to stop the logging of Watch Mountain, an
old-growth preserve in the Cascade Mountain range in Washington.<br>
While tree-sitting was a frequent tactic of environmentalists in Oregon
and even British Columbia, but Washington state was not accustomed to
this type of direct action:<br><br>
<dd>“These tree-sitters, calling themselves the Cascadia Defense Network,
don't like the government's plan to give 25 square miles of heavily
forested mountain land on the west slope of the Cascades to the timber
company in exchange for 75 square miles of prime hiking land near
Snoqualmie Pass,” reported Robert McClure for the Seattle
Post-Intelligencer </i>in August 1999. “Loggers for generations, many
local residents have stood by as the local mill closed and timber
companies began shipping timber overseas for processing. Like the
protesters, they are not happy with big timber companies.”<br><br>

</dl>Waters and her green comrades were not only confronting the logging
industry and the government, they were also tossing dirt in the face of
big environmental groups in Seattle who signed off on the deal let Plum
Creek Timber Co. log Watch Mountain, near the small town of Randle,
Washington.  It may have been Waters first real brush up with the
radicals of the Northwest environmental movement, one that would later be
used to discredit her true intentions. <br><br>
“We just want to sit up there in those trees and be a spectacle for you,”
fellow activist Tim Ream told local Washington residents about the
protest his group organized. “We're going to sit up there until there are
chain saws buzzing all around us and they take us to jail. And we're not
going to make it easy for them.”<br><br>
The direct action worked, after five long months the Cascadia Defense
Network was victorious and Waters caught the victory on film for his
senior project at Evergreen State College. Her heartfelt footage
documented the struggle with the timber barons as well as friendly
relationship between the activists and the local townsfolk. Over 28,000
acres of prime wilderness was ultimately saved and the public land was
never handed over to Plum Creek Timber.<br><br>
<div align="center"><font face="Verdana" size=2 color="#990000">***<br>
The FBI was out to track down the perpetrators of the UW fire and they
were more than ready to use the testimony provided by cooperating
witnesses to do so. Two of the government’s key informants in the UW case
were 31 year-old Lacey Phillabaum a former editor of Earth First!
Journal,</i> and Jennifer Kolar, 33, a millionaire yacht enthusiast with
a mater’s degree in astrophysics. In order to shorten their own
sentences, Kolar and Phillabaum agreed to testify against Waters,
claiming she was the lookout for the arson and borrowed a car to drive to
the campus that night. They even insisted Waters lived on the property
where the explosive device was assembled by her boyfriend at the time,
Justin Solondz. <br><br>
On February 11, 2008 at Western U.S. District in Tacoma, Washington, the
government’s case against Briana Waters began with U.S. District Judge
Franklin D. Burgess presiding. The location of the trial was moved from
Seattle, as prosecutors believed she’d have a less sympathetic jury
outside the Emerald City. The jury was selected during the first day and
at 9:00am the on February 12 the courtroom theatre began, with a packed
room full of Waters’ friends, family, and supporters.<br><br>
The prosecution was led by Assistant United States Attorney Andrew
Friedman and First Assistant United States Attorney Mark Bartlett. The
duo’s opening remarks to the jury painted Waters as a dangerous
environmental extremist who was willing to do whatever it took to
terrorize their target, Prof. Toby Bradshaw.<br><br>

<dd>“What the defendant and her accomplices did that night was wrong in
every way,” Friedman told the 12-person jury as he described Waters as
the lookout that night. “... If there was one building in Seattle that
helped the environment, it was probably the Center for Urban
Horticulture. They plotted [their attack] for weeks and built complicated
firebombs at a house the defendant rented,” Friedman continued. “She had
her cousin rent a car to use in the action and they drove it to Seattle,
ate dinner, drove to the Urban Horticulture building, near a residential
area, parked on a hill in the residential neighborhood a block away from
the building. Waters stayed in the bushes with a radio while the others
broke into an office [and planted the firebomb].”<br><br>

</dl>The defense team, made up of attorneys Neal Fox and Robert Bloom,
claimed the federal prosecutors were barking up the wrong tree, and the
hunt for the real perpetrators led them to an innocent woman. They argued
that the evidence was simply not there to support the prosecutor’s
“Not only has Briana Waters pleaded not guilty, she is not guilty … She
is completely innocent, not involved in this or any other arson. The
government’s proof is what is on trial,” Bloom asserted to the jury. “The
government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt ... Ms. Waters is
innocent not because of some technicality, but because she was not
involved with this group of people in any arson, in any discussion of
arson ... that's not what happened."<br><br>
While prosecutors seemed to draw on guilty by association tactics,
Waters’ defense team cautioned jurors to look at the facts of the case,
not just the illegal actions of her former acquaintances. Both Kolar and
Phillabaum began cooperating with the FBI shortly after their initial
roundup along with five other environmentalists for a separate Oregon
arson in 2005. In exchange for helping the government build its case
against fellow activists by wearing a concealed wire, prosecutors
promised to cut them a deal. Minimum sentences for arson alone carry a
statutory minimum of 30 years with the threat of a maximum life term.
It’s little wonder why Kolar and Phillabaum felt pressured to name names,
even if those people were close friends and legitimate fellow activists.
Problem was, Kolar, when first interviewed by the FBI in December 2005,
only fingered four other participants in the UW arson. Kolar even told
the FBI what each of their aliases were. Briana Waters was not on her
list. A surprising lapse in memory considering Waters supposedly drove to
the site of the arson that night. It was only later, after being
pressured by government prosecutors, that Kolar named Waters as the
lookout. According to the FBI’s notes provided to Waters’ defense team,
Kolar was interviewed five or six times before identifying Waters as the
lookout. <br><br>
As Jennifer Kolar sought to strike a plea bargain with the feds she
abruptly “remembered” who the lookout was that night. In mid-January 2006
Kolar was shown a photo of Waters, which she recognized by name, but did
not say Waters was involved in the incident. It was almost a full month
later, in March 2006, that Kolar informed the FBI of Waters alleged
participation. <br><br>
Aside from the testimonies of Kolar and Phillabaum, the FBI had little to
work with. Their original informant, Jacob Ferguson had a drug problem,
which would certainly dispel any legitimacy he would have on the stand,
plus he was not even directly involved in the UW incident, he only led
the FBI down Kolar and Phillabaum’s trail. Anything he confessed would be
hearsay. The alleged ringleader of the UW arson, argued the prosecution,
was Bill Rodgers, known to others in as Avalon, a man who committed
suicide by wrapping a plastic bag over his head in his jail cell shortly
after being arrested in Arizona in December 2005. There was simply no
hard evidence that tied Waters to the crime scene that night. No
fingerprints were left behind, no minuscule strains of DNA were found.
All the prosecutors had were suspicion and the testimony of two activists
who struck plea deals in order to save themselves from decades in
Lacey Phillabaum’s fiancé, Stan Meyerhoff, a friend of Jacob Ferguson,
was a cooperating witness in other ELF cases. While Meyerhoff didn’t
participate in the UW arson, he attended secret Book Club meetings
leading up to the event and said Waters was not involved in the UW arson.
The Book Club, hosted at different locations, served as the organizing
nucleus for the group’s covert actions. Meyerhoff even ratted on the love
of his life, Lacey Phillabaum. He did not seem to be holding any
information back from the FBI.<br><br>
"Within twenty-four hours [of being arrested], with no deal of any
sort on the table, Stan was supposedly squealing like a pig," said
Lauren Regan, a lawyer with the Civil Liberties Defense Center in Eugene,
Oregon. "Given that Jake had a heroin-riddled mind; Stan was able to
fill in a lot of blanks for the prosecution.”<br><br>
But apparently when the blanks weren’t filled in to the Justice
Department’s liking, they simply invented scenarios based on innuendo and
stories told by cooperating witnesses who were copping plea deals. 
On March 17, 2006, Stan Meyerhoff, handed over to the FBI by his pal
Jacob Ferguson, was questioned by the feds and shown pictures of people
who were under investigation for numerous ELF actions. One of those
photos was of Briana Waters. Meyerhoff told investigators that the woman
in the photo looked familiar but stated that she was not involved in any
action. He was sure of it. The case, according to Water’s defense, should
have ended right then and there. Meyerhoff admitted to being intimately
involved in numerous ELF acts and knew all the players, but stated
outright that Waters was not one of them.<br><br>
This little bump in the road didn’t stop the prosecution, however. Waters
did know Bill Rodgers, which was the cornerstone of the FBI’s case
against her. Rodgers, like Waters, was also an above ground environmental
activist who was often strapped for cash and had credit problems. As a
result Waters purchased a cell phone for him and paid his phone bills to
help him out. Prosecutors argued that Rodgers and ELF were cautious and
meticulous in all of their crimes. They left no trail, absolutely nothing
that could lead authorities to their whereabouts. <br><br>
So why would Briana Waters purchase a cell phone for Bill Rodgers if she
was worried about being caught? Rodgers, according the FBI’s profile,
would not have asked Waters to buy him a phone if she was in anyway
connected to any illegal activities. They weren’t that careless. That was
the case Waters’ defense attempted to make: purchasing phone and paying
its monthly bill is not a crime, and in no way put Waters at the scene of
the crime that night. But what did, the prosecution countered, was the
vehicle she had her cousins rent for her that Waters allegedly used to
drive from Olympia, Washington to UW’s campus in Seattle.<br><br>
<div align="center"><font face="Verdana" size=2 color="#990000">***<br>
On February 15, 2007 Lacey Phillabaum took the stand. Expressing sympathy
for all involved, Phillabaum was still clear why she was testifying
against Briana Waters. “I had regrets and did not want to spend 30 years
in jail,” she told the prosecutor. <br><br>
An entire day on the stand and Phillabaum did her job in implicating
Waters in the UW arson. <br><br>
She claimed Rodgers vouched for her since she never attended any of the
underground Book Club meetings. Phillabaum said her and Waters saw the
“clean room” where the bomb device was constructed by Rodgers and Waters’
boyfriend, Justin Solondz. Waters, according to Phillabaum, was put in
charge of procuring a car for the drive to the UW campus. On her second
day of testimony Phillabaum told of regret for what she did and her
tumultuous transition back in to ordinary life with Stan

<dd>“[Stan Meyerhoff and I] got to know each other and began
reintegrating back [into] mainstream [culture], it was hard to do,”
Phillabaum said. “First part of getting uninvolved [with the ELF] was
admitting to each other that we didn’t want to be involved. Which was
hard to do having met in this context ... After 9/11 I decided it was
intolerable to be involved with anything like this. We shared a mutual
reinforcement of values.”<br><br>

</dl>Phillabaum, whose parents are both lawyers, was certainly primed for
the barrage of questions the defense peppered her with. Phillabaum,
insisted the defense, slept with Water’s boyfriend Justin Solondz.
Phillabaum told Waters’ defense attorney Robert Bloom that she did not
remember Waters ever confronting her, where Waters yelled, “how dare you
have an affair with my boyfriend!”<br><br>
“I think the implication is that we had a sexual interaction. That is not
correct,” Phillabaum told Bloom. “I never gave him a blow job either if
that’s what you’re implying.” To which Bloom replied, “It is about
whether you bear ill-will toward Briana ... Briana called you all kinds
of names.  ‘Disrespectful, unprincipled, not fit to be involved with
the movement’. <br><br>
“I bear no ill-will toward Briana Waters,” she protested.<br><br>
Later Bloom asked, “If you stay with your deal, the best sentence for you
is three years, the worst is five years right?”<br><br>
“Yes,” Phillabaum responded.<br><br>
“...One of the inputs of the sentence is what the prosecutors tell the
judge about how well you do on the stand, right? It’s fair to say you
have an incentive to please the prosecutors,” defense attorney Bloom
“I am not particularly motivated by my plea deal,” Phillabaum explained
to Bloom. “I am committed to fulfill it, but emotional and moral
commitment which drives me to be honest is to the researchers who I
victimized. I would rather do three years than five, but I will do no
more than five no matter what I say.”<br><br>
Overall Bloom’s questions to Phillabaum were not overly interrogating.
She held her composure and stuck to her story. Briana Waters, Phillabaum
recalled, was involved in obtaining the vehicle for the night and met
with all involved for dinner at the Green Lake Bar: Justin Solondz, Bill
Rodgers, Jen Kolar, Briana Waters and herself. Had she not implicated
Waters, claimed defense attorney Bloom, Phillabaum would face up to 35
years in prison. <br><br>
The real linchpin in Waters’ trial was not Lacey Phillabaum, but Waters’
cousin Robert Corrina. On February 19, Corrina was called to testify
against his cousin. He was repeatedly interviewed by the FBI, with
varying stories leading up to the trial. At first Corrina said he did not
know Waters, who even lived with him and his wife when she first moved to
Olympia. In preceding interviews he said he did, but didn’t know anything
about a rental car which was in fact rented by his wife on Waters’ behalf
and even deposited $200 cash the week before.<br><br>
Defense attorneys insisted that since Corrina told contradictory stories
to the FBI on numerous occasions that “now the feds hold your life in
their hands.” To which Corrina responded, “Not true.” The FBI even went
to his wife’s place of employment and threatened them both with the
possibility of a perjury charge, a felony offense. Like their case
against Briana Waters, the feds also had Corrina cornered.<br><br>
As Corrina squirmed in his seat as he was grilled with questions, the
Waters defense seemed to be unraveling. The jury did not seem to be
buying the fact that Corrina was bullied by the FBI to indict his cousin
in order to save both him and his wife from prison. What the jury was
presented with by the prosecution was a soft man who was telling the
truth after having initially lied in an attempt to protect his cousin.
Corrina’s early statements to the feds only portrayed Waters as having
done something wrong. <br><br>
On the Sunday night of the arson, recalled Corrina for the first time on
record, her boyfriend Justin Solondz drove Waters in the rental car to
the Emergency Room because Waters was having abdominal pains. Olympia’s
hospital wouldn’t allow her, so she drove to Seattle, said Corrina. It
was the first time Waters was said to have been with Solondz on the same
night as the arson. It was damning testimony, and it sent the defense’s
case for a tailspin. Now they didn’t only have to argue that Phillabaum
was lying to save herself, they had to say her cousin was too. <br><br>
Waters’ ER story also didn’t hold up well under the prosecution’s
scrutiny. Neither hospital Waters reportedly sought treatment or had any
records of her visit. <br><br>
Jennifer Kolar was up next, who’s testimony, despite the fact that she
had at first not included Waters as involved in her FBI interrogation,
did not help Waters’ cause. When questioned about her memory trouble,
Kolar replied, “I contradicted myself and my memory.” The defense backed
off right at the very moment they should have pounced. They painted Kolar
as a cold-hearted rich girl who, unlike Phillabaum, had little remorse
for the actions she committed as a clandestine member of the Earth
Liberation Front. But however cold Kolar was on the stand, the defense
did not attack her truthfulness in such a way that would convince the
jury that she was lying to reduce her own sentence. <br><br>
Waters’ case was falling apart at the seams. Her cousin Robert Corrina
put her in the car he helped obtain and Phillabaum and Kolar put her at
the scene of the arson as a lookout. Despite a lack of hard evidence,
Waters did not have a solid alibi. As for boyfriend Justin Solondz, the
one person who could have either corroborated or confirmed Waters’
whereabouts that night – he was long gone, having fled after the initial
arrests and is currently a fugitive on the FBI’s Most Wanted
On February 25, it was FBI Special Agent Tony Torres took the stand as a
witness for the prosecution. Torres was the note-taker for Jennifer
Kolar’s interview on January 12, 2006 where she was shown a photo of
Briana Waters and recognized her, but did not say she was in any way
involved in the UW arson. After a long, evasive testimony, Torres was
forced to admit that Kolar never named Briana Waters as a participant
until well after the FBI already fixed on her as a suspect. <br><br>
According to Torres’ interview with Jennifer Kolar, she recalled events
that were in direct contradiction to Phillabaum’s testimony. Not only did
Kolar not originally recall Waters being involved, she also thought that
Budget rental car used for the night’s event was obtained by Bill
Rodgers, not Waters. Also, Phillabaum testified that the car was scrapped
while speeding out of the neighborhood where they parked near UW, but
Kolar did not recall this happening, nor could Special Agent Torres
provide any evidence from Budget that the car returned by Robert Corrina
sustained any damage. Torres also testified that Phillabaum told the FBI
that both Briana Waters and Justin Solondz acted as lookouts during the
UW arson, in contrast with the government’s allegation that Waters alone
acted as a lookout. <br><br>
The big gap in Torres’ testimony was that the FBI did not record Jennifer
Kolar’s testimony, even though it is FBI protocol to do so. He also
admitted he stopped taking notes in the middle of the interview in an
attempt to avoid the “confusion” that resulted in major discrepancies
between him and Special Agent Ted Halla’s notes from their interview with
Jennifer Kolar’s on December 16, 2005. Defense attorneys accused Torres
of falsifying documents in order to set up their case against
It wasn’t a smoking gun, but Torres was perhaps the weakest link in the
prosecution’s case against Briana Waters. He confirmed that the FBI’s two
main witnesses’ stories did not match up with one another and had not
from the inception the FBI’s investigation. Kolar changed her account of
events numerous occasions. She didn’t recall a scrap on the car, nor did
she even remember that they used a rental car, as she told the FBI
originally that they drove a van to UW, a much more realistic vehicle
given the number of people allegedly involved in the arson.<br><br>
Both Phillabaum and Kolar also said that Waters and crew met at the Greek
Lake Bar on the night of the crime. Kolar said they met " around 9
at night, 8 at night,” while Phillabaum testified they met in the
"early evening".  Defense lawyers challenged both Kolar
and Phillabaum’s recollection and presented a bank card receipt which put
Waters 60 miles away in Olympia at 7:12 p.m, and given that their was a
Seattle Mariners game and construction that evening, it was unlikely,
with even normal traffic on Interstate 5, that Waters would have been
able to drive to UW in time to meet the others at the bar.<br><br>
While Briana Waters took the stand in her own defense, a wave of
trepidation filled the air, even sending Judge Burgess into afternoon
siesta. Supporters in the courtroom were convinced there were simply too
many conflicting testimonies and evidence to convict Waters of any crime.
It was now Waters’ turn to speak in her own defense. She denied any
involvement whatsoever in the UW arson, or any arson for that matter. She
did not attend any Book Club meetings. She knew Bill Rodgers, but only
for his above ground activities. Waters did not believe that arson was a
legitimate form of environmental activism, something she realized during
her time on Watch Mountain as she worked with others to organize local
communities against proposed logging.<br><br>
As the defense and prosecution laid out their final arguments for and
against Briana Waters, a fire erupted in a posh Seattle development
project called Street of Dreams and the ELF claimed responsibility.
Perhaps it was more than poor timing. Or perhaps it set by contractors in
an attempt to cash in on some insurance money before the housing boom
reached their cul-de-sac. Regardless, it certainly did not help
The prosecution went first, admitting that Jennifer Kolar’s memory was
suspect, but that she was certain Waters was a lookout for the arson.
They cautioned the jury to see past Waters’ soft veneer, for she was a
radical environmentalist at heart. A domestic terrorist willing to use
the threat of violence to spread her anti-establishment message. It was
their duty, prosecutors insisted, to put Waters behind bars where she
belongs, even though all they really ever accused her of was holding a
walkie-talkie as lookout. But domestic terrorism is serious, they
contended, and she must be punished for her actions, no matter how minor
they may seem.<br><br>
The defense believed they provided the jury with numerous examples that
ought to lead to reasonable doubt. Enough that would set Briana Waters
free. They pointed out Kolar’s mangled testimony and Special Agent
Torres’ bad note taking habits. They said the fact that they had a
receipt from Waters in Olympia made it virtually impossible to meet at
the Green Lake Bar with the rest of the arsonists. They pointed out that
cooperating witness Stan Meyerhoff, second only under Bill Rodgers, said
Waters was never involved in any actions. They said that the cell phone
payments and her cousin’s rental car was not evidence that she committed
the crime. There were just too many unanswered questions and too much
innuendo to find Briana Waters guilty, the defense argued.<br><br>
On June 2, 2008, Waters’ defense attorneys filed a motion which they
claim revealed that Jennifer Kolar patently lied and deceived the FBI and
jury, and that an investigation was required to determine was action
needs to be taken in light of such a disclosure. The defense motion was
based upon documents the government disclosed after the trial. The new
information, the defense claimed, should have resulted in a
Unfortunately, Judge Burgress didn’t agree and jurors were unable to
convict on all counts, but they did find Waters guilty on two counts of
arson. While awaited her sentencing, Waters’ lawyers asked that she be
released until her sentencing so she could spent more time with her
partner and 3-year-old daughter. The U.S. attorney’s office opposed the
request, and claimed they had new evidence that Waters was involved in
more than one arson, insisted that Lacey Phillabuam’s fiancé Stan
Meyerhoff, who said before that Waters was never involved, that Waters
participated in an attack at the Litchfield Wild Horse and Burro Ranch in
Susanville, California.<br><br>
On Thursday, June 19, 2008, Briana Waters was sentenced to 6 years in
prison. Letters of support and a tearful plea by her own mother could not
keep her out of prison. Lacey Phillabaum and Jennifer Kolar dramatically
reduced their sentences, with Phillabaum receiving 36 months and Kolar 60
months. <br><br>
“Prosecutors used scare-mongering to get the jury to convict an innocent
person," Waters' lawyer, Robert Bloom, told Salon</i> shortly after
the trial ended. "This is really a study in American prosecution. It
was an absurdly slanted American prosecution."<br><br>
Joshua Frank</b> is co-editor of Dissident Voice</i> and author of
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1567513107/counterpunchmaga">
Left Out! How Liberals Helped Reelect George W. Bush</a></i> (Common
Courage Press, 2005), and along with Jeffrey St. Clair, the editor of
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904859844/counterpunchmaga">
Red State Rebels: Tales of Grassroots Resistance in the
Heartland</a></i>, published by AK Press. <br><br>
Jeffrey St. Clair </b>is the author of
<a href="http://www.easycartsecure.com/CounterPunch/CounterPunch_Books.html">
Been Brown So Long It Looked Like Green to Me: the Politics of Nature</a>
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1567513360/counterpunchmaga">
Grand Theft Pentagon</a>. His newest book,
<a href="http://www.easycartsecure.com/CounterPunch/CounterPunch_Books.html">
Born Under a Bad Sky</a>, is published by AK Press / CounterPunch books.
He can be reached at:
<a href="mailto:sitka@comcast.net">sitka@comcast.net</a>. <br><br>
(This article is excerpted from Green Scare: the New War on
Environmentalism</i> by Jeffrey St. Clair and Joshua Frank, forthcoming
from Haymarket Books.)<br><br>
<font size=3>  <br><br>
<div align="center"> <br><br>
<font size=3 color="#FF0000">Freedom Archives<br>
522 Valencia Street<br>
San Francisco, CA 94110<br><br>
</font><font size=3 color="#008000">415 863-9977<br><br>
</font><font size=3 color="#0000FF">
<a href="http://www.freedomarchives.org/" eudora="autourl">
www.Freedomarchives.org</a></font><font size=3> </font></body>