<font size=3><a href="http://www.counterpunch.org/" eudora="autourl">
</a></font><font face="Verdana" size=2 color="#990000">May 22-24,
</font><h1><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4><b>Why Closing
Gitmo Starts in Indiana <br><br>
</i></font><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=5 color="#990000">
Obama, Torture and John Walker Lindh
</b></font></h1><font face="Times New Roman, Times" size=4>By MICHAEL
TEITELMAN <br><br>
</font><font face="Verdana" size=6 color="#990000">O</font>
<font face="Verdana" size=2>n March 15, the Justice Department made an
announcement that was barely reported in the media.   The DOJ
decided not to renew the Special Administrative Measures (SAM) that have
been imposed on John Walker Lindh since his conviction and incarceration
in 2002.   These rules limit visitors to family and lawyers who
are forbidden to relate the content of their conversations to the
media.  The expressed purpose of these rules is to keep inmates from
disclosing information that is harmful to the security of the United
States.  Their practical effect has been to silence Lindh. 
Federal regulations for SAM require the Bureau of Prisons to obtain an
annual re-certification by the director of a national intelligence agency
that the inmate continues to be a security threat.  Lindh was
certified seven times by the Bush administration.  The Obama DOJ has
allowed the last certification to lapse. <br><br>
John Walker Lindh is now 28 years old.  He resides in a special unit
for persons convicted of offenses related to the “War on Terror” in the
federal penitentiary in Terra Haute, Indiana.   He was twenty
years old when he was captured with Taliban fighters by an Afghan warlord
in the first month of the war.    The warlord, General
Dostum, turned him over to the U.S. military for interrogation.  He
became the first detainee: #001.  His capture occurred so early in
the war that Donald Rumsfield had not yet dispatched the first torture
team to Guantanamo, and Cheney had not yet maneuvered Bush into stripping
prisoners of the protections of the Geneva conventions.  <br><br>
Lindh was spared the legal limbo and draconian regimen of the Guantanamo
prison.  This particular calamity could not be visited upon him
because he had, in principle, the constitutional and legal rights of a
U.S. citizen.  Instead, he was transported to northern Virginia
where he was indicted, tried, and sentenced to twenty years in prison.
Before he was silenced by the Justice Department’s invocations of Special
Administrative Measures, Lindh had a brief moment in public view. 
He had his 15 minutes of infamy.  American political leaders
denounced him as a traitor.   The Attorney-General, John
Ashcroft, anointed him the “American Taliban”, a label that was bound to
reduce the likelihood that he would receive a fair trial.  He was
displayed in one of starkest photographic images of the Afghanistan war
as a naked, haggard, filthy, emaciated, terrified man with the crazed,
harrowed glare of a homeless schizophrenic man from the streets of an
American city.  The chorus of denunciations and this iconic image
propagated the idea that Lindh was a religious extremist, a fanatical
convert to Islam who had joined al Queda to make war on the infidels, on
the people of the United States.  <br><br>
The reality was quite different. In essence, Lindh was a wayward late
adolescent from California who had been traveling for several years in
the Muslim world learning Arabic and studying the Quran. He eventually
migrated to a madrassa in Pakistan where he came under the sway of
fundamentalist teachers and recruiters for the jihad in
Afghanistan.  He had the bad judgment to volunteer to fight for the
Taliban against a coalition of warlords in the naïve belief that he would
be defending an Islamic republic. <br><br>
Lindh also had the colossally bad luck of arriving on the northern front
on September 6, 2001. Five days later al Queda struck and Lindh was
stuck. He was shocked by the attack and rejected the legitimacy of
attacking civilians. In the isolated mountains of northern Afghanistan,
he couldn’t surrender to the opposing Northern Alliance because its
leader, General Dostum, had the nasty habit of lashing prisoners to the
treads of his tanks.   And he would have been executed by his
own side if he tried to leave the front while the Taliban was under
attack by U.S. Special Forces and their Afghan allies. <br><br>
Within weeks, the Taliban were in retreat and Lindh was captured along
with five hundred other fighters.  All told, Lindh had spent about
six weeks in Afghanistan as a jihadist volunteer. He attended a lecture
by Osama bin Ladin during training; he did not join al Queda.  He
rejected an offer to become a martyr in a suicide bombing.  He never
fired a shot in combat.   <br><br>
Back in the United States, Lindh was handed a ten count indictment, which
included a charge of conspiracy to murder United States citizens. 
He faced a possible sentence of forty years.  However, Lindh never
had a trial.  Just before pre-trial hearings on defense motions to
suppress evidence, the government offered a plea bargain which it
pressured Lindh to accept.  <br><br>
The indictment was reduced to a single charge of violating a 1998 Clinton
executive order prohibiting material assistance to the Taliban. The
prison sentence was reduced to twenty years.   As in all plea
bargains, there was a provision for finality of the legal process. Lindh
renounced his right to appeal.  The defense accepted the deal
because they figured that conviction was inevitable in the post 9/11
anti-Muslim hysteria.  <br><br>
The plight of someone serving two decades in prison for actions which,
however strange and unpopular, were neither heinous nor villainous should
be of concern to anyone addressing the many small injustices that Bush
and his coterie have dished out.  It is possible that lifting the
ban on Lindh’s communication will be a prelude to a presidential
commutation of sentence before the end of Obama's term.  Lindh
expressed contrition at his trial and has reportedly handled himself well
in prison.  Clemency as a matter of compassion and equity are
entirely in order.<br><br>
However, that should not be the end of the matter. Lindh’s case has
broader political significance.  It should be viewed in the context
of the Obama administration’s objective of restoring constitutional
government and the rule of law, closing the Guantanamo concentration
camp, bringing torture and Bush’s other serious malfeasances to light,
and restoring professional integrity in the Justice Department and other
departments of the government. <br><br>
Questions hang over the Bush administration’s handling of Lindh's
prosecution.  Why did the government need to keep a winnable case
out of the courtroom?  Why did the prosecutors force Lindh into a
plea bargain when they had incriminating FBI interrogations of
Lindh?  And why did they need to silence Lindh in prison with
Special Administrative Measures?  The proposition that this teen
aged pilgrim possessed information which made him a security threat for
seven years is laughable.   <br><br>
Lindh was kept from telling his story in the courtroom and from his
prison cell for political reasons.  He was the first detainee of the
Afghanistan war. He was probably the first detainee to be tortured. He
was also the Bush administration’s first major cover-up.  <br><br>
There was a lot to cover-up. Lindh's treatment by the US military in
Afghanistan had been atrocious and illegal.  It was inhumane,
abusive, degrading and in clear violation of U.S. law and the Geneva
conventions.  <br><br>
Lindh was handed over to the U.S. military in a severely debilitated
state.  He had survived a horrendous week long ordeal in the cellar
of a fort where he was trapped with 500 prisoners by General
Dostum.  He had been traumatized by having to dodge grenades which
Dostum’s troops threw into the cellar.  He had a bullet wound in his
leg and shrapnel elsewhere in his body.  There was no food. 
Water was befouled with excrement, blood, fuel oil, and rotting body
parts.  He was exposed to freezing water and frigid mountain
air.  More than four hundred prisoners died in the cellar that
week.  When Lindh emerged along with 80 other survivors, he was ill
and in pain. <br><br>
At that point, Lindh was taken to Camp Rhino, a U.S. base near
Kandahar.   The conditions of his confinement were
abysmal.  He was stripped, fastened to a stretcher with duct tape,
and enclosed in a windowless metal shipping container. He was fed
starvation-level rations.  When he needed to urinate, the stretcher
was lifted into a vertical position so that he was forced to wet himself.
Guards heard him crying and talking to himself inside the box. He was
exposed to the frigid weather. His wounds were inspected by medical
personnel but not treated; shackles cut blood flow to his hand and caused
excruciating pain, which his captors refused to relieve; he was taunted
by guards who cocked a gun to his head and threatened him with death.
Foreshadowing Abu Ghraib, photographs circulated with salacious slogans
(“shithead”) written on his blindfold.<br><br>
After two weeks of imprisonment in the container, he was cut loose from
the stretcher, given pajamas to cover his nakedness, and interrogated for
several days by an FBI agent. During the questioning, he was, in all
likelihood, in a state of delirium resulting from gastrointestinal
infection, starvation, dehydration, hypothermia, frost bite, pain, and
infected bullet wounds. When he was transferred to a U.S. navy ship,
medical personnel were shocked at his condition. Denial of medical care
and food to prisoners of war was still, in late 2001, a violation of the
rules of conduct set by the Geneva Conventions and the Army Field Manual.
The interrogation by the FBI agent was legally defective.  FBI
regulations require the presence of a second agent and a verbatim
transcript.   There was neither in Lindh's case.  The
agent acted alone and produced only a redacted account of the questioning
which Lindh never signed.  Moreover, Lindh's debilitated state
rendered him incapable, from a legal point of view, to waive his waive
his Fifth Amendment right not to be interrogated. <br><br>
Lindh was informed that he had a right to have a lawyer present during
the interrogation but that no lawyer was available in Camp Rhino. He was
not told that his family had already arranged for representation. 
After his return to the United States, interrogations continued for
almost two months before Lindh was allowed to speak with his
lawyers.  The violation of his right to counsel was glaring.
 From the start, the absence of legal representation alarmed legal staff
in the Justice Department.  The Professional Responsibility Advisory
Office issued an advisory that interrogation without an attorney would be
illegal and that evidence obtained would not be admissible in
court.  The FBI proceeded with the interrogation anyway.<br><br>
None of this was revealed in public testimony because the Bush
administration decided to bring the legal proceedings to a halt. 
This decision undoubtedly had the imprimatur of Bush, Cheney, and
Ashcroft.  The plea offer was made three days before a hearing on
the defense's motion to exclude the FBI interrogation, which was the
prosecution's only incriminating evidence. The defense had military and
medical witnesses from Afghanistan ready to testify about Lindh's
mistreatment and his debilitated condition while he was held in Camp
One clear objective of the plea bargain was to prevent testimony about
the torture of an American citizen.  In the light of the newly
released torture memos which were in gestation at the time, Lindh's
mistreatment included elements of “aggressive treatment” that were later
built into the regime of “enhanced interrogation techniques”: 
extreme confinement, enforced posture, threat of execution, humiliation,
nutritional deprivation.  Compared to the treatment of detainees at
Guantanmo Lindh’s torture was mild and brief.  It was also
gratuitous.  It was not carried out with the objective of obtaining
information from Lindh or terrifying other detainees into
cooperating.  It expressed the hatred and the desire for vengeance
that prevailed in the post-9/11 zeitgeist. <br><br>
This was not the only cover-up.  The plea bargain also forestalled
testimony about improprieties in the Justice Department.  The denial
of legal representation would have been litigated in the pretrial
hearing.  The denigration of professional judgment and the
politicization of personnel decisions would have come into public view
during the hearing. The lawyer who issued the ethics advisory against
interrogating Lindh was sacked and then hounded professionally after
leaving government service.  Email memoranda regarding the advisory
could not be found when the judge ordered them turned over to Lindh's
lawyers. These were the first instances of the devaluation of legal
professionalism and the destruction of evidence that occurred repeatedly
during the Bush administration. <br><br>
So the administration had several powerful reasons for wanting to keep
Lindh's case out of public view. It is not stretching the truth to say
that he was railroaded into taking a guilty plea for the political needs
of the administration.  Had the hearing and trial proceeded, the
country might have been alerted early in 2002 about the moral and
political dangers that lay ahead. <br><br>
Lindh is now in a legal cul de sac.    As an initial step
in the project of closing Guantanamo, President Obama has ordered a
review of the remaining detainees.  But the case of Detainee #001,
the first prisoner of Bush’s wars, will not be reviewed because Lindh's
Guantanamo is in Terra Haute, Indiana.<br><br>
Lindh's only route out of prison is a grant of presidential
There is a political and moral challenge here for Barack Obama.  He
might some day quietly include a commutation of sentence for Lindh in a
list of routine pardons as a matter of mercy or compassion.  That
may be politically feasible in a year or two, especially if lifting the
communication barrier enables Lindh and his family to publicize his
plight and advocate for his release.<br><br>
The challenge for Obama is to exercise his power of clemency for the same
reason that he has ordered the closing of Guantanamo, jettisoned military
tribunals, and released the torture memos:  to acknowledge and
repair the damage that Bush and Cheney have inflicted on constitutional
government and the rule of law.  Like the first presidential pardon
by George Washington of people indicted in the Whiskey Rebellion in 1795,
like Gerald Ford’s pardon of Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter’s pardon of
draft refusers, freeing Lindh should be done as a political act with
political objectives.<br><br>
Lindh's case is important because the government trampled on his rights,
used it immense power to railroad him into prison and then silenced him
while they planned the next war.  An order of clemency would
unequivocally express Obama's personal repudiation of what was done to
this citizen. <br><br>
This is a challenge that puts Obama on the spot.  It does not have
the pitfalls of alienating powerful institutions like the military and
the CIA. It has none of the legal complications of prosecuting government
personnel who tortured prisoners while complying with Bush’s “rules of
torture”. It has none of the legal murkiness of punishing the legal
Lilliputians who rigged the torture memos to advance Bush's agenda. 
Freeing Lindh would not, as Cheney might warn us, embolden our enemies,
make us more vulnerable to terrorist attack or betray state
secrets.  Clemency sets no precedents. The legal basis for freeing
Lindh is grounded in the Constitution itself. like other controversial
acts of pardon and clemency, it will no doubt provoke consternation and
political debate.    It will intensify the debate about
Bush’s assault on the rule of law, which is wholly desirable.<br><br>
Clemency for Lindh would put a real live, thinking, talking person before
the American people, someone who can bear witness to what has been done
in the name of protecting the nation.  As we know from the testimony
of wrongfully convicted people who are exonerated after decades in
prison, such testimony is powerful and can wake people up to the
injustices that are inflected by the legal system.<br><br>
The testimony of  individuals who have been wrongly convicted and
then exonerated necessarily raises the question of how many more people
wrongfully convicted people are locked up in our prisons.  Obama’s
<i>political </i>commutation of Lindh would raise the question of how
many others have been swept up in anti-Muslim dragnets, and are now
locked up for years in prison, silenced with Special Administrative
Measures,  because Bush, Cheney and their Justice Department played
fast and loose with the laws and the courts in their “war on
<b>Michael Teitelman</b> lives in New York. He can be reached at:
<a href="mailto:mt258@columbia.edu">mt258@columbia.edu</a><br><br>
<font size=3 color="#FF0000">Freedom Archives<br>
522 Valencia Street<br>
San Francisco, CA 94110<br><br>
</font><font size=3 color="#008000">415 863-9977<br><br>
</font><font size=3 color="#0000FF">
<a href="http://www.freedomarchives.org/" eudora="autourl">
www.Freedomarchives.org</a></font><font size=3> </font></body>