[Pnews] Art Against Imprisonment - From Palestine to the U.S. - A Visionary Website

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon May 31 11:19:03 EDT 2021

sfbayview.com
<https://sfbayview.com/2021/05/art-against-imprisonment-from-palestine-to-the-u-s/>

  ‘Art Against Imprisonment – From Palestine to the U.S.’

May 28, 2021
<https://sfbayview.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Art-Against-Imprisonment-exhibit-graphic-032121.jpg>

      *A visionary website is launched*

*/by Diana Block and Nadya Tannous/*

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, a powerful virtual art exhibit featuring art
from incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people in occupied Palestine
and the U.S. was launched. “Art Against Imprisonment – From Palestine to
the U.S. <https://artagainstprison.org/>” grew out of a history of
active solidarity between movements against imprisonment in the U.S. and
Palestine. It is a testament to the creativity, imagination and
brilliance of the many people who resist the invisibility, isolation and
repression of prisons and claim a liberated space through their art.

The exhibit was first proposed by Addameer Prisoner and Human Rights
Association as a physical touring art show in fall 2019. With the
emergence of the COVID pandemic, which shut down in-person activities
across the globe, the coalition of groups that had first committed to
working on the in-person show shifted it to a virtual art exhibit.

Milena Ansari, international advocacy officer for Addameer, described
Addameer’s goals for the art show: “We wanted the exhibit to inform the
public about the international scope of prisoner resistance to
oppression and injustice.”

According to Ansari, the virtual platform actually has many advantages:
“It allows prisoners a continuing platform to exhibit their artwork and
creativity and enables many more people around the world to appreciate
their art. It also facilitates sharing updates on issues concerning
prisoners in Palestine and the U.S and builds an ongoing connection
among all of our solidarity groups.”

To bring the virtual art exhibit to life, five U.S.-based organizations
came together to work collaboratively with Addameer: Arab Resource and
Organizing Center (AROC), California Coalition for Women Prisoners
(CCWP), Freedom Archives, Palestinian Youth Movement (PYM) and U.S.
Palestinian Community Network (USPCN).

Our organizations have all been involved in the fight to dismantle the
carceral systems that uphold white supremacist, colonial power. We’ve
seen how the U.S. and the Israeli apartheid state have closely
cooperated in the development of their prisons over the course of the
last 60 years.

They have joined forces to devise similar methods of carceral control,
such as interrogation, torture, solitary confinement, child
imprisonment, family separation, sexual violation and enveloping
surveillance techniques. They have also shared their strategies and
resources with many other countries, using those incarcerated as proxies
for experimentation.

*/Art by incarcerated people confronts the U.S. and Israeli apartheid
state regimes of oppression and injustice. Art breaks down barriers,
walls, gender norms, languages and, in many cases, the social and
political infrastructures that are used to separate our struggles./*

In an essay marking the 50th anniversary of the Black Panther Party in
2018, Ahmad Sa’adat, Palestinian political prisoner and general
secretary of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP),
wrote: “Prisons exist for a reason, for the needs and interests of those
with power … where there is occupation and colonization, there will be
prisons and all of the laws and legal frameworks erected to legitimize
exploitation, oppression and injustice and criminalize resistance and
liberation.”

Art by incarcerated people confronts these regimes of oppression and
injustice. Art breaks down barriers, walls, gender norms, languages and,
in many cases, the social and political infrastructures that are used to
separate our struggles. It has inspired solidarity between our movements
against imprisonment and toward collective liberation.

To create the exhibit, our groups solicited submissions from
incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people and their families across
Palestine and the U.S. We received art in many formats and mediums,
representing the tremendous variety of ways that people in prison devise
to express themselves and their politics.

There are distinct sections for paintings, drawings, quilts and
embroidery, poetry, pottery, prayer beads and art objects and
calligraphy. As visitors to the website, we urge you to explore the work
in order to fully appreciate this unique collection of artistry across
borders and mediums.

Other sections of the website provide short biographies of the artists,
resources on imprisonment and suggested actions that the visitor can
take to fight imprisonment in Palestine and the U.S. All pages of the
website are presented in both English and Arabic with a Spanish version
coming soon.

Our group collectively envisioned the logo for this art exhibit, created
by Heba Hamarshi from Addameer. The logo represents a common commitment
to break through the prison walls with the fist of (self)-determination
and the spirit of sumud – steadfastness.

Handala-art-by-Palestinian-artist-Naji-Al-Ali.jpg
Artist Naji Al-Ali writes: “The child Handala is my signature … I gave
birth to this child … and presented him to the poor … At first, he was a
Palestinian child, but his consciousness developed to have a national
and then a global and human horizon. He is a simple yet tough child, and
this is why people adopted him and felt that he represents their
consciousness.” Al-Ali was assassinated in 1987, but Handala, called “an
immortal symbol of Palestinian defiance,” lives on.

Handala, the child standing with their hands clasped behind their back,
was first created by Palestinian artist Naji Al-Ali in 1969 to represent
the forced displacement of Palestinian people from their homeland.
Handala has become a Palestinian national symbol of resistance and has
grown to have a global significance. Naji Al-Ali wrote that Handala “was
the arrow of the compass, pointing steadily towards Palestine. Not just
Palestine in the geographical terms, but Palestine in its humanitarian
sense – the symbol of a just cause, whether it is located in Egypt,
Vietnam or South Africa.”

The “All Power to the People” fist, designed and popularized by Frank
Cieciorka in the mid-1960s, has become a symbol not only of the Black
Liberation Movement, but for global resistance and liberation.

*/Hafez Omar, an award-winning Palestinian artist, was imprisoned in
2019 for the “crime” of inspiring people through his art./*

The launch event for the website featured moving presentations by some
of the website’s artists and their family members. Kevin Cooper, who was
wrongly convicted and has spent over 30 years on California’s death row,
sent an impassioned statement to the event.

He wrote: “As the oppressed African Americans over here are being shot
by the police for any reason and no reason at all, the same is being
done to the people of Palestine by the police and military over there …
They are forced to live against their will in the world’s largest
open-air prison, the Gaza strip, yet they keep their dignity, their will
to live and their self-respect intact.” Kevin Cooper has two paintings
in the exhibit – one titled “Free Gaza,” spotlighted on the website’s
landing page, and a portrait of Bob Marley.

Linda Evans, who served 16 years in U.S. federal prisons for
anti-imperialist actions, described the importance of getting art
materials in prison: “Being able to access color in the drab and uniform
surroundings of prison really made a difference to my mental state.”

She described how mothers were able to communicate with their children
by making them a drawing or a toy. “I view solidarity with Palestine as
a bottom-line principle of anyone who is striving for international
global liberation,” she asserted.

*/Shukri Abu-Baker is serving 65 years in prison in the U.S. for the
crime of giving money to Palestinians as part of the Holy Land Five case./*

Anmar Rafeedie, a cultural worker and longtime member of El-Fanoun
Palestinian Dance Troupe, explained that growing up, her home was filled
with art from her parents, which they had made while they were in
prison. “Art resurrects life, which is why when they want to install
collective punishment in colonial Israel prisons, they take away
artistic tools, such as beads and strings, which prisoners would use to
make gifts for their loved ones.”

Naima Shaloub, a U.S.-based Lebanese vocalist, brought the power of
music to the event when she performed a song called “Roumieh Prison
Blues.” She wrote the song with incarcerated men in Lebanon’s Roumieh
prison when she visited.

Nida Abu-Baker spoke emotionally about her father, Shukri Abu-Baker, who
is serving 65 years in prison in the U.S. for the crime of giving money
to Palestinians as part of the Holy Land Five case. When she was growing
up, her father painted murals all over their house. “Now, every time
something major in our life happens, he’ll send us something to cheer us
up and to cheer himself up. Events like this one today make him so
excited and so happy because he knows that his voice is actually going
to be heard, even though he’s in a small prison cell.”

Hafez Omar, an award-winning Palestinian artist, was imprisoned in 2019
for the “crime” of inspiring people through his art. Among his many
political posters, he had created many in solidarity with prisoners,
including his brother. As a prisoner himself, art took on a new
dimension. Hafez explained, “To keep drawing inside the prison was my
simplest way to say you’re not winning over me. I’m not defeated, I’m
still drawing, I’m still doing the thing that you took me to prison for.”

Oscar López-Rivera, a Puerto Rican former political prisoner who served
36 years in U.S. prisons, concluded the event. “As we become creative,
we also transcend some of the negative spaces that we have within our
minds. We transcend a lot of the insecurities that we have within
ourselves as a colonized person.”

Oscar-Lopez-Palestine Belongs to Palestinians.jpg
"Palestine for Palestinians" was created specifically for /Art Against
Imprisonment/ by Puerto Rican artist Oscar López-Rivera. Oscar is a
former political prisoner who served 36 years in U.S. prisons, accused
of seeking independence for Puerto Rico. His art, along with the art of
Palestinian and American formerly and currently incarcerated political
prisoners, is included in the “Art Against Imprisonment – From Palestine
to the U.S.” exhibit up online at https://artagainstprison.org
<https://artagainstprison.org>.

Oscar called on everyone to support imprisoned artists and to grow the
art exhibit. “I hope that we will be able to come together again just
like we have today. And little by little solidarity will grow among all
of us. I believe in reciprocal solidarity and we need to maintain a very
close connection with Palestine!”

In the coming months, “Art Against Imprisonment” hopes to take up
Oscar’s call to expand the art exhibit, reach out to more artists, their
loved ones and advocates, and strengthen the reciprocal solidarity
between our struggles for freedom and liberation.

For more information, please visit our website at
https://artagainstprison.org <https://artagainstprison.org/>, like and
share our social media pages @artagainstimprisonment and please email us
at artagainstimprisonment at gmail.com
<mailto:artagainstimprisonment at gmail.com>.

/Diana Block is a member of the California Coalition for Women Prisoners
and Nadya Tannous is a member of the Palestinian Youth Movement. Reach
them by email at //artagainstimprisonment at gmail.com/
<mailto:artagainstimprisonment at gmail.com>/ and follow
@artagainstimprisonment on social media./