[Pnews] CLDC Files Civil Rights Suit On Behalf of Anti-Racist Political Prisoner Eric King

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 26 11:41:06 EDT 2021

https://cldc.org/cldc-files-civil-rights-suit-on-behalf-of-anti-racist-political-prisoner-eric-king?mc_cid=de7328462f&mc_eid=df0afbe383
CLDC
Files Civil Rights Suit On Behalf of Anti-Racist Political Prisoner Eric
King
------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 25, 2021

Contact:  Lauren Regan, Executive Director & Senior Staff Attorney

 info at cldc.org
*CLDC Files Civil Rights Suit On Behalf of Anti-Racist Political Prisoner
Eric King*

*Eugene, OR *—Today, the Civil Liberties Defense Center filed a federal
civil rights lawsuit under *Bivens v. Six Unnamed Agents of the Federal
Bureau of Investigation*, 403 U.S. 388 (1971), the Federal Tort Claims Act,
and the Administrative Procedure Act, against the Federal Bureau of Prisons
(“BOP”) and more than 40 of its correctional officers. The lawsuit was
filed on behalf of Eric King, whose constitutional rights have been
continually violated since 2018 in retaliation for his political and
anti-racist actions while incarcerated.

The complaint alleges that BOP officers have collaborated with each other,
and with white supremacist prisoners, to target, harass, and assault Mr.
King. Moreover, King has been held in solitary confinement (the Special
Housing Unit, or SHU) for over 1,000 days with no explanation or legal
justification, in violation of BOP and federal statutory policy. He is
currently one of only 80 people who have been held in the SHU for more than
a year, let alone almost three years.

“I’m a human being with a family. I’ve been treated deplorably. For the
last two years I’ve been stuck in a 6′ x 9′ cage, denied access to my
family and my lawyers, and subjected to physical and emotional torture.
They’ve done this because of my beliefs, not because of my actions – not
because I’m a violent person, but because I disagree with their government.
They treat me like I am not a human, and in doing so they reveal they are
the true monsters. It shows how horrible this system is, not how horrible I
am,” King said.

Eric King is an anarchist political prisoner serving a 10-year sentence for
attempted arson of a government official’s office in Kansas City, Missouri,
in September 2014. He acted in solidarity with the Ferguson uprising and
rebellion — a movement that took place over the summer of 2014 in response
to the Ferguson police murder of Michael Brown. At his sentencing, Eric
spoke on the record about his political motivations for committing his
criminal act, saying “The government in this country is disgusting. The way
they treat poor people, the way they treat brown people, the way they treat
everyone that’s not in the class of white and male is disgusting,
patriarchal, filthy, and racist.”

“Eric King has faced chronic, targeted harassment, as well as severe
emotional and physical torture, from BOP officers and known white
supremacists working together, for over two years while held in solitary
confinement. We reasonably believe this treatment has been in retaliation
for his political views and First Amendment-protected activity. It is not
acceptable or constitutional, and CLDC will not allow Mr. King’s civil
rights to be eviscerated. He justly demands basic human respect and decent
conditions. This type of abuse is rampant across the BOP, and needs to be
condemned, and the federal criminal punishment system must be held to
account,” said Lauren Regan, one of Mr. King’s attorneys with the  Civil
Liberties Defense Center.

One incident of harassment and torture occurred in 2018, when King was
ordered by correctional officers to a small storage room and office, where
he was verbally and physically attacked. The black eye he suffered as a
result of this attack is visible in the photograph to the right.

*Above left: King on his wedding day in 2016 Above right: King four days
after the attack, with a visible black eye*

In the aftermath of this attack, the guard claimed King had attacked him,
and as a result, King was placed in restraints for over eight hours,
without any clothing or blankets. While he was restrained, BOP guards
further tortured him by threatening, suffocating, and strangling him.

Read the filed complaint HERE
<https://cldc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Eric-King-FILED-complaint-052521.pdf>
.

###

*The Civil Liberties Defense Center supports movements that seek to
dismantle the political and economic structures at the root of social
inequality and environmental destruction.*