[Pnews] For Chesa Boudin, his mother and father were radical not for their politics but for the extraordinary lengths they took to parent him while incarcerated.

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 8 21:22:01 EST 2021

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/chesa-boudin-parents-prison/ Across
Prison Walls, I Felt My Parents’ Love
By Chesa Boudin - March 8 2021
------------------------------
For Chesa Boudin, his mother and father were radical not for their politics
but for the extraordinary lengths they took to parent him while
incarcerated.

Toward the end of a weekend trailer visit to my incarcerated father in New
York State in 1992, when I was 12, I had an emotional meltdown—and not for
the first time. Trailer visits are occasional overnight accommodations
provided to family members of people serving long sentences who’ve kept a
good disciplinary record. On that particular weekend, I’d brought a stack
of homework that I had to complete before school on Monday. We’d had a
couple of happy days together, cooking epic meals of fresh vegetables,
tofu, and brown rice, playing chess and cards, watching movies—even as I
refused his advice to do my homework the whole time. (Sound familiar?) On
the second and last night, I had a temper tantrum: I didn’t want to do my
homework, or at least that was the trigger for a lot of pent-up emotion.
The joy of every prison visit was punctured by the grim realization that I
was going to have to leave, and that my dad would not be coming with me. In
a fit, I threw all my homework out the window into the dark, windy yard. In
that otherwise banal act of rebellion, I created a terrible dilemma for my
father. He could leave the trailer to chase down my papers in the dark
before they blew away, violating a prison rule and risking a discipline
violation, or “ticket,” which would not only tarnish his perfect record but
also forfeit future visits with me. Or he could protect himself and our
access to the trailer visits by doing nothing, sending me home the next day
without my schoolwork. He put me first.

When I was 14 months old, my parents, David Gilbert and Kathy Boudin,
dropped me off with a babysitter. They never came back. That day, while I
was playing, my parents drove a van used as a switch car in a bungled armed
robbery. Though neither of my parents was armed or intended for anyone to
get hurt, two police officers and a security guard were killed. My parents
were arrested and charged with felony murder—an anachronistic legal
doctrine that allows prosecutors to punish almost any participant in a
serious crime resulting in death, no matter their role, with murder. In one
of the countless capricious outcomes of the criminal justice system, my
mother ended up serving 22 years while my father received a minimum 75-year
sentence. Though they played nearly identical roles in the crime itself, my
father refused legal representation and went to trial, ultimately getting
convicted of all the charges and receiving the maximum possible sentence.
By contrast, my mother had excellent lawyers and, on the eve of her trial,
pleaded guilty for a negotiated sentence. After 39 years, my father remains
incarcerated. Absent a change in law or a grant of clemency from New York
Governor Andrew Cuomo, he will not be eligible for parole until he is 112
years old.

I don’t remember that tragic day, of course—getting picked up by my
grandparents or, weeks later, being taken into a new family that already
had two young children, who were now my older brothers and would become, in
time, my loving defenders and greatest supporters. But I do remember, from
my earliest days, waiting in lines to get through metal detectors, steel
gates, and pat searches just to see my parents, just to give them a hug. I
did not understand that my parents’ crime had been organized by the Black
Liberation Army, and that they were in it not for money but because of a
misguided vision of radical racial solidarity. Yet, even as a small child,
I noticed that the lines at the prison gates were mostly made up of Black
and brown women and children. Those kids and I had all paid a price for our
parents’ mistakes, and for our country’s retributive obsession with prisons.

My parents’ arrest in New York in 1981 came just as the addiction to
incarceration was ramping up. Today, the United States leads the world in
locking people up