[Pnews] Cops Brutalize and Arrest Queer Marchers on Anniversary of Stonewall Uprising

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 30 19:05:33 EDT 2021

leftvoice.org
<https://www.leftvoice.org/cops-brutalize-and-arrest-people-on-anniversary-of-stonewall-uprising/>
Cops
Brutalize and Arrest Queer Marchers on Anniversary of Stonewall Uprising
Tatiana Cozzarelli - June 29, 2021
------------------------------

On early Sunday evening, after the Queer Liberation March and the Stonewall
Protests’ Pride March, the police brutally arrested eight people. We must
fight for the charges to be dropped, against the racist police and for the
right to free, public space.

Just one day before the 52nd anniversary of the Stonewall uprising, a riot
against the police led by trans women of color, New York City cops brutalized
and arrested
<https://gothamist.com/news/nypd-pride-arrests-washington-square-park>
marchers as well as a street vendor.

On early Sunday evening, after the Queer Liberation March and the Stonewall
Protests’ Pride March, people poured into Washington Square Park. After
individuals allegedly
<https://nypost.com/2021/06/27/several-arrested-near-washington-square-park-during-pride-festivities/>
moved barricades, the police arrested, brutalized, and pepper-sprayed eight
people.

Journalist Janus Rose told *Gothamist*, “The park was packed and people
were just hanging out and having a good time after the Queer Liberation
March. Then all of a sudden we started seeing dozens of police vans circle
around the park with their sirens and lights flashing, pedal to the metal.”

Videos on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/chrisychung/status/1409287947019599878> show swarms of
police in riot gear surrounding the park. Some officers pepper-sprayed
people who were merely standing around.

Four people were charged with disorderly conduct, and four more with
resisting arrest, obstructing administration, and criminal possession of a
weapon.

This just highlights that 52 years after the Stonewall uprising, the police
remain a racist force of repression against the most marginalized amongst
us. It proves that even though they now drape themselves in rainbow flags
and even “apologize
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/nyregion/stonewall-riots-nypd.html>”
for the brutality shown at Stonewall in 1969, they are the same racist,
brutal force that they have always been
<https://www.leftvoice.org/the-fight-to-abolish-the-police-is-the-fight-to-abolish-capitalism/>
.

But times have changed. The police don’t repress wealthy, white gay men at
expensive parties — they repress working-class queer people of color
crowded in the streets, and the unhoused people who spend time in the park.
In a city with more empty apartments
<https://www.amny.com/opinion/op-ed-new-york-city-has-enough-vacant-apartments-to-house-the-homeless-its-time-to-do-it/>
than unhoused people, the capitalist state still pretends that it’s
impossible to provide housing for those who need it. We call bullshit.

*You might be interested in: **Queer Oppression Is Etched in the Heart of
Capitalism*
<https://www.leftvoice.org/queer-oppression-is-etched-in-the-heart-of-capitalism/>

In the past few weeks Washington Square Park has become the center of
protests
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/nyregion/washington-square-park-curfew.html>.
As youth of color, activists, and unhoused folks attempt to enjoy the free
public space, the police have increasingly begun to repress, arrest, and
brutalize the people in the park. This is part of the continued
gentrification of the West Village at large — the wealthy people in the
neighborhood don’t want to see unhoused people or radical youth outside
their doorstep or expensive bars.

The NYPD already announced a 10 p.m. curfew
<https://nypost.com/2021/06/06/police-in-riot-gear-enforce-washington-square-park-curfew/>
for the park in order to justify their repression against the many people —
mostly people of color — who hang out there. But on Sunday, thousands of
people broke curfew in an act of joyous defiance.

But this is not enough.

We must demand, organize, and mobilize for the charges against those
arrested to be immediately dropped. We must fight for the end to the
Washington Square Park curfew and an end to the racist police. And we must
fight for the right to free, public space.