[Pnews] Over 3,100 Palestinians detained by Israeli occupation in May 2021: Prisoners’ associations report

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 14 00:38:38 EDT 2021


    Over 3,100 Palestinians detained by Israeli occupation in May 2021:
    Prisoners’ associations report

by samidoun <https://samidoun.net/?author=1>


*Palestinian prisoners' rights and human rights institutions, the 
Prisoners' Affairs Commission, Palestinian Prisoners' Society, Addameer 
Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, and the Wadi Hilweh 
Information Center - Jerusalem, issued their monthly report on Sunday, 
13 June <https://www.addameer.org/ar/media/4408>, detailing the latest 
statistics and reports on Israeli repression targeting Palestinian 
detainees. The report covers key issues in the current uprising in 
Palestine, including ongoing violations and abuses by occupation forces, 
and documents specific cases followed by the institutions that prepared 
the report. The report is translated into English by Samidoun 
Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network.*

According to the research and follow-ups made by the Palestinian 
prisoners' institutions, Israeli occupation authorities arrested 3100 
Palestinians, including 42 women and 471 children, throughout the month 
of May, in different areas of Palestine, at demonstrations, in night 
raids and random arrests.

As of the end of May 2021, there are approximately 5,300 Palestinian 
detainees, including 40 women and 250 child prisoners. Of these, 81 
child detainees are from occupied Palestine '48 - that is, Palestinian 
citizens of Israel. There are currently approximately 520 Palestinians 
jailed without charge or trial under administrative detention, after 200 
administrative detention orders were issued since the beginning of May.

The month of May 2021 marked a serious escalation in repression and 
attacks against the Palestinian people in multiple forms, especially 
with the spark of events that began at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem on 
13 April 2021, where occupation forces attempted to prohibit 
Palestinians from entering the area. This repression came hand in hand 
with the forced displacement and forced expulsion being planned and 
threatened against the Palestinians of Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in 
occupied Jerusalem.

As events continued and the confrontations with occupation forces 
escalated, the occupation launched massive repression and attacks, 
including mass arrests that affected all sectors. These continued to 
escalate, especially with the launch of the Israeli aggression on Gaza, 
which lasted for 11 days and prompted Palestinians everywhere to take 
action in the streets to confront the grave crimes of the occupation.

This is not the first instance in which Palestinians face this type of 
escalation, including attacks during which the occupation has used all 
of its mechanisms and policies over the past decade. Systematic arrests 
are among the most prominent of these colonial mechanisms by which the 
occupation seeks to suppress any efforts by the Palestinian people to 
seek liberation and self-determination.

Since 2015, which also constituted a turning point for Palestinian 
prisoners and detainees, especially regarding the number of arrests at 
one time, this moment also constituted a milestone in terms of the 
number of detainees and the large number of serious violations 
documented by institutions, activists, journalists and citizens, who 
played an important role in conveying and exposing these crimes.

The highest number of arrests were recorded in occupied Palestine '48, 
where approximately 2,000 Palestinians were arrested, including 291 
children, as documented by Palestinian human rights institutions in 
occupied Palestine '48. Many serious crimes were recorded, accompanying 
mass and systematic arrests in various cities and villages. These did 
not stop at the moment of arrest against the detainees and their 
families, but continued through a series of mechanisms and policies 
later, including intimidation, threats and torture. Over 170 Palestinian 
detainees later had indictments filed against them, and the most common 
of these charges was participation in demonstrations rejecting the 
policies of the occupation.

Israeli occupation forces of various types, along with settlers, 
contributed to attacking and attempting to intimidate the Palestinian 
population, storming their homes, destroying their property, deploying 
undercover forces among them, firing live ammunition and rubber-coated 
metal bullets at them and brutally assaulting them physically.

Similar to the situation in occupied Palestine '48, harsh campaigns of 
arrests targeted many Palestinian towns, villages and refugee camps in 
the West Bank, including Jerusalem, where 1,100 Palestinians were 
arrested, including 180 children and 42 women and girls -- the highest 
number of arrests took place in Jerusalem, where 677 were detained.

The institutions documented the continued series of arrests targeting 
Palestinian Legislative Council election candidates; occupation forces 
seized six candidates from the "Jerusalem is Our Promise" list, one of 
the electoral lists for the Legislative Council, in addition to two 
former Palestinian Legislative Council members, along with nightly raids 
on homes and searches and vandalism targeting families' properties. 
Occupation authorities engaged in systematic methods of repression, 
intimidation and suppression, extending to collective punishment for all 
sectors of society.

There were 200 administrative detention orders issued during the month 
of May, including 116 new administrative detention orders.

*The 1948 Occupied Territories: Blurring the Image Through Fabricated 

Israeli occupation police arrested journalist and former political 
prisoner Raafat Abu Ayash, 27, from the occupied Naqab, while he was 
actively reporting on a sit-in for Palestinian students at Beersheba 
University in protest of events in Jerusalem, in front of the university 
building. They were attacked by far-right Jewish Zionist groups, who 
outnumbered the Palestinian students and threatened to kill them, 
prompting the Palestinian students to move their protest to the 
students' residence. Abu Ayash reports that police, including the 
special "Al-Yasam" unit came to the scene of event and attacked the 
Palestinian students, despite the fact that they had called for 
protection from the attacks by the right-wingers. The police violently 
beat the students with batons and arrested two Palestinian students.

As Abu Ayash documented the police repression against Palestinian 
students, he was arrested. He was asked for his name. As soon as he 
identified himself, undercover police began to beat him, seized him and 
took him by police car to several locations, eventually ending at the 
Ashkelon Detention and Interrogation Center, where he was held for three 
days before his release.

When he asked for the allegations against him, he was accused of 
assaulting a settler and burrning his car while he was detained, and 
accused of joining a "terrorist faction." He was subjected to three days 
of interrogation by the Shin Bet for four sessions that lasted for six 
hours each. After he finally proved that he was at the university to 
cover the event - where he was initially detained - due to camera 
footage, he was finally released from the interrogation center.

During his detention, Abu Ayash was subjected to several violations, in 
addition to the wrongful arrest and the trumped-up allegations against 
him. He was subjected to "shabeh," or stress positions, in the 
interrogation chair for long hours, while he was handcuffed to the 
chair. His detention was extended for 5 days pending interrogation, 
during which he was not provided with clothes other than those of the 
prison administration. During his interrogation, he was repeatedly 
screamed at, cursed, insulted and threatened with "destroying his life." 
He was unable to open his eyes when he arrived at the interrogation 
center due to Israeli occupation forces' severe beating of his face.

*Detaining candidates for postponed elections, attacking the role of 
politicians and activists*

Two months after his release on 21 March 2021, Israeli occupation forces 
once again detained former prisoner and electoral candidate for the 
Palestinian Legislative Council on the "Jerusalem is our Promise" list, 
Yousef Qazzaz, 49. They seized Qazzaz after invading the family home in 
Dura, al-Khalil on 20 May 2021, as nearly 20 soldiers removed the main 
door of the home and ransacked it, storming the bedrooms and pointing 
guns at the heads of the sleeping residents, as his wife recounted.

Qazzaz is a former prisoner who has spent 5 years in Israeli occupation 
prisons. In his previous detention he was held without charge or trial 
under administrative detention for 18 months; he previously was held in 
administrative detention for 24 months. Qazzaz suffers from several 
illnesses, but was prohibited from taking his medication with him by the 
occupation forces.

On 9 May 2021, occupation forces seized Nasser Abu Khdeir, 59, a 
candidate rom the "Pulse of the People" electoral list, after storming 
his home in Shuafat, Jerusalem. He was ordered into forcible house 
arrest at his home in Shuafat for an unspecified period of time, 
stripped of his health insurance and national insurance and prohibited 
from entering the West Bank for 6 months.

Abu Khdeir was last released the previous March from Israeli occupation 
prisons. He has spent almost 17 years in occupation prisons over various 
periods of detention.

*Child abuse: 13-year-olds detained*

During May 2021, Israeli occupation forces seized 180 children from the 
West Bank, and cases of abuse and mistreatment were documented through 
field researchers for Palestinian human rights institutions.

Occupation forces seized the 13-year-old child, J.A., while he was in 
Al-Balou Park near the illegal settlement of Beit El outside Ramallah. 
He was beaten repeatedly by an Israeli soldier in the pelvic area, 
causing him severe pain, and pepper-sprayed in his right eye at zero 
distance while laying on the ground.

J.A. was ordered to lie on the ground and handcuffed with plastic ties 
before being taken to Beit El military camp. He was blindfolded and 
taken to the Benjamin police station, where he was placed on a chair 
facing the wall and tied with plastic handcuffs and ties. The soldiers 
deliberately held him there for approximately 3 hours, unable to move, 
until the interrogation began. In the end, he was thrown out of the 
military vehicle in which he was taken, hit on the neck and the head and 
his blindfold and handcuffs removed. The child discovered that he had 
been thrown out of the back of the vehicle in the Hizma area of occupied 

The child K.D., 13, from Tayseer village, was detained near the Tayseer 
military checkpoint east of Tubas on 15 May 2021, where a demonstration 
was organized against the Israeli aggression on Gaza. Occupation forces 
followed him and shot at him before beating him in the face and 
arresting him. He was then taken from Tayseer Checkpoint, handcuffed and 
blindfolded. He was released the next day at the same checkpoint. 
However, intelligence officers then called his father the day after his 
release, demanding he hand over his son for interrogation.

K.D. suffered psychological trauma as a result of his experience. His 
father reported that he was shocked and unable to speak for a lengthy 
time after his release.

*Al-Moskobiya: Continuous witness to the crime of torture*

Al-Moskobiya, known as the Russian Compound, once again came to the fore 
during the escalation of repressive attacks carried out by the 
occupation forces. Dozens of detainees were subjected there to physical 
and psychological torture. Since August 2019, occupation forces and 
interrogators have escalated their methods of torture, returning to many 
of the same tactics of physical and psychological torture used in the 
1960s and 1970s. During the current confrontation, Palestinian human 
rights institutions have continued to document testimonies of torture to 
which detainees were subjected.

*The case of the detainee, Jalal Jabarin (36 years), from the town of 
Sa'ir, al-Khalil*

Jabarin was arrested from his home at dawn on 14 May 2021, after 
occupation soldiers forced him to take off his clothes, searched and 
ransacked his house using police dogs. He was taken to an area near the 
Etzion military camp, where he was taken out of the military vehicle and 
beaten severely by occupation soldiers. He fell to the ground twice from 
the severity of the beating, and later he was transferred to the Etzion 
detention and investigation center, where they asked him to sign a paper 
exonerating the soldiers from assaulting him. However, he refused to sign.

Jabarin indicated that he was transferred on the same day to the 
Al-Moskobiya interrogation center, where he was tortured for ten days 
and for long hours, including being interrogated for 38 hours 
continuously, while he was forcibly held in stress positions on a chair, 
while handcuffed, with his hands and feet tied. He was denied sleep and 
clean, safe food, forcing him to refrain from eating during the first 
two days of his detention.

During his detention, an order was issued preventing him from meeting 
with a lawyer. Jabarin is a former prisoner who had previously been 
arrested several times.

*Maryam Afifi: Arrest, abuse, and unconditional release*

Israeli occupation forces arrested Mariam Afifi, 26, on 8 May 2021 at 
about 10:30 pm while she was in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood. A 
witness stated that they saw occupation soldiers attacking a girl, 
causing her to fall to the ground. They went towards the girl and while 
attempting to get close to the girl, one of the soldiers shouted at her 
and pushed her harshly. The witness attempted again to approach her to 
check on her as a soldier attacked her and started violently pulling at 
her hijab. As he pulled her back, her shoes came off and the soldier 
stepped on her legs and joined a number of other soldiers who began to 
kick and hit her. They handcuffed her behind her back and tied her legs, 
dragging her to an area where many soldiers and police had gathered, and 
forced her to the ground. After around 30 minutes, she was taken to the 
occupation police station, where she was held until the morning of the 
next day in a room with many other detainees.

The next day, she was transferred to the Al-Moskobiya interrogation 
center, where she remained in a very cold cell, and when she asked to 
turn off the air conditioner, they did not respond to her request. Then 
she was transferred to the court to extend her detention in the 
Al-Moskobiya center, during which a female soldier handcuffed her hands 
with iron handcuffs and pulled them, tightening her shackles and causing 
her severe pain. Maryam stated that she was taken twice to the court, 
the first time where the judge was not present because of the court 
break in the afternoon hours, and then they brought her back to the 
cell, and after a period of time they returned and brought her to the 
court, and during these movements the shackles were digging into her 
hands and feet. Maryam was presented to the court, and while the public 
prosecutor asked to extend her detention, the judge ordered her released 
without conditions on 9 May after seeing the photo and video evidence of 
her arrest.

*Jerusalem: a double confrontation*

The occupation authorities continued their unprecedented campaigns of 
daily arrests in the city of occupied Jerusalem during the month of May. 
They arrested hundreds of people on the streets in addition to the 
storming of homes throughout the city. In Jerusalem, 677 people were 
detained, including 124 children, of which 20 of whom were aged 13 or 14 
years, in addition to 32 women, including 8 girls.

Arrests on the street took place around Al-Aqsa and its gates, where 117 
Palestinians were detained; 138 were arrested from Bab al-Amoud and the 
nearby areas; 79 were detained in Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood, and 
hundreds from different areas.

 From 13 April 2021, the beginning of confrontations and protests at the 
Damascus Gate, through the end of May, 845 Palestinians were detained. 
Most detainees were released under conditions, most commonly forced 
exclusion from the place of detention, home confinement for 3 days to 
two weeks, payment of cash bail, while a number of them were presented 
with indictments and others are still detained in interrogation centers.

Harsh excessive force was used during many arrests and detentions, 
including assaults inside police vehicles and during transportation to 
detention centers. Scores of detainees were injured, including people 
with broken hands, noses and ribs, as well as wounds in the face and 
head. Dozens of Palestinian detainees were transferred from 
interrogation centers to hospitals for treatment, some of whom remained 
in detention, and some were released on condition that they return to 
interrogation after treatment.

The detainees were accused of a number of charges, the most common of 
which were: participation in confrontations and demonstrations, throwing 
stones, using firecrackers and Molotov cocktails, raising the 
Palestinian flag, protesting at Al-Aqsa, tearing the flag of the 
occupation state, destroying surveillance cameras or burning property 
for nationalist reasons, assaulting police or assaulting settlers. 
Dozens of Palestinian detainees were indicted, others are still held 
under interrogation, and hundreds were released under various conditions 
and restrictions.

During May, Israeli occupation authorities ordered 11 Jerusalemites to 
administrative detention by order of the "Defense" Minister, for periods 
ranging from three to six months, including Palestinian prisoners whose 
health insurance was cut off.

The occupation also escalated deportation orders during the past month, 
as over 270 orders forcibly excluding Palestinian Jerusalemites from 
various areas, including Al-Aqsa, the Old City, Bab al-Amoud and 
adjacent streets, the entire city of Jerusalem, and the rest of the West 
Bank, were issued in May for periods ranging from one week to six 
months. These decisions were issued through the courts or after hours of 
interrogation in various centers, especially the Al-Qashla detention 
center in the Old City of Jerusalem and the Salah al-Din police station. 
Dozens of young men and women seized from Sheikh Jarrah were excluded 
from the neighborhood, and a number of young people were forcibly 
expelled from their areas of residence in Al-Tur, Issawiya and Jabal 

*Ahmed Abu Sneineh: He lost his eye and was arrested inside the hospital*

Israeli occupation forces wounded, Ahmed Abu Sneineh, 28, with a 
rubber-coated metal bullet fired inside Al-Aqsa Mosque, on the 25th day 
of Ramadan, while he was heading to the mosque to deliver an item to his 
mother, who was praying Tarawih prayers in the mosque.

The occupation forces hit Abu Sneineh's eye with a rubber bullet, 
causing him to lose consciousness. He was taken to the hospital in 
serious condition and approximately two weeks after the injury, he was 
seized from inside the hospital by occipation forces.

Abu Sneineh said, "My eye was hit inside Al-Aqsa, then I completely lost 
consciousness and was transferred in a very serious health condition to 
the hospital due to a fractured skull. I had several surgeries during my 
treatment, for injuries to the eye, head and abdomen, and the medical 
staff said I needed to stay in the hospital for treatment and follow-up 
for 60 days."

Abu Sneineh continued: "On 27 May, I was surprised by the presence of a 
nurse who told me he would get me out of the hospital, and a few minutes 
later a group of 'Shabak' agents invaded the room wearing civilian 
clothing. They showed their badges and identified themselves and then 
they arrested me."

He said that he was transferred to the detention center, and stayed for 
more than 6 hours, being moved between the police and the Shin Bet 
intelligence, despite his fatigue and dizziness. He was then released 
and transferred to house arrest for four days on condition that he 
return to interrogation. On the appointed day, 30 May, he returned to 
interrogation at the Al-Qashla police station where he was left to wait 
in the sun for several hours before being released and ordered to 
another day of house arrest.

*Cancellation of health insurance*

As part of the policy of collective punishment against the released 
prisoners and their families, the occupation authorities cut off their 
right to national health insurance for 19 Palestinian Jerusalemites, 
including three jailed prisoners and the wife of a Palestinian prisoner. 
The remaining victims of this policy are all former prisoners. The 
families were surprised to learn of the cancellation of their health 
insurance when they went for treatment in health centers, without any 
legal warning or clarification.

This measure targeted former prisoners who were subjected to arrest and 
forced exclusion or deportation from Jerusalem or Al-Aqsa. They were 
also barred from entry to the West Bank and their bank accounts were seized.

The pretext given for the cancellation of the former prisoners' health 
insurance was an allegation that they maintain "residence outside the 
city of Jerusalem", which they denied, emphasizing that most of their 
homes are inside the walls of the Old City or its surroundings.

*Collective punishment: Turmus Ayya and Aqraba*

The villages of Turmus Ayya and Aqraba were repeatedly invaded and 
raided by Israeli occupation forces during the first third of May 2021, 
following the shooting of Israeli occupation soldiers at Za'atara 
checkpoint south of Nablus. Nine residents of Aqraba and five residents 
of Turmus Ayya were seized by occupation authorities, while many homes 
were raided with police dogs as occupation soldiers threw gas bombs and 
posed a constant threat to the people.

In a telephone conversation, Mrs. Basma al-Shalabi, the wife of 
Palestinian detainee, former mayor Lafi Shalabi, explained that 
occupation special forces known as the "Al-Yaman" unit invaded Turmus 
Ayya village at 3 a.m., raided the family's home and seized her husband 
on 5 May 2021. They forced off the doors of the home and attacked the 
couple's 16-year-old son before one of the soldiers tried to throw the 
child at his mother, who was isolated in another room of the home due to 
her diagnosis with coronavirus. They then took Lafi Shalabi to the 
second floor of the house, by himself, interrogating him while 
threatening him, pressuring his wife and threatening her. They did not 
allow her to take any medications despite her coronavirus infection and 
high blood pressure diagnosis.

In Aqraba, large forces of the occupation army and special units 
attacked the town, imposed full military control over it, locking down 
the residents on 3 May and prohibiting them from moving, imposing 
closure and erecting military checkpoints around the nearby villages. 
The following day, they were joined by massive reinforcements and 
armored vehicles invading the town, storming homes and deliberately 
vandalizing, damaging and destroying property while searching the homes.

*Dozens of wounded and injured*

Israeli occupation forces used all manner of weapons and methods of 
attack against the detainees, including severe beatings, dragging, 
hitting with batons and rifle butts, release of "skunk" or sewage water, 
firing tear gas, sound bombs, live bullets and rubber-coated metal 
bullets at them, leading to dozens of injuries, some with live ammunition.

Among the cases followed by Palestinian human rights institutions is 
that of the case of wounded detainee Fadi Daraghmeh, 18, from Tubas. He 
was shot in the knee by occupation forces at Tayseer checkpoint with 
live ammunition. After he fell to the ground, three soldiers severely 
beat him and dragged him to their vehicle before he was transferred to 
the Israeli Afula hospital.

Fellow wounded prisoner Osama Funoun, 23, from al-Khalil, was seized on 
12 May 2021 after he was shot by occupation forces in the center of the 
city, near the military checkpoint at the entrance to Shuhada street in 
the city. He was then taken to the Ramle prison clinic and forced to 
walk inside.

Maher Daraghmeh, 22, from Tubas, is also detained in the Ramle prison 
clinic after being wounded by the Israeli occupation army when he was 
shot while crossing the Huwarra military checkpoint south of Nablus. He 
has since undergone several surgeries.

*The policy of administrative detention: Significant data*

There has been a serious increase in the number of administrative 
detainees in the occupation prisons, a significant increase in 
comparison with the past few years. During the current confrontation, 
administrative detention was one of the most prominent policies of 
repression. During the month of May 2021, occupation forces issued 200 
administrative detention orders, including 11 against Jerusalemite 

Of those orders, 116 were newly issued administrative detention orders, 
while 84 renewal orders were also issued.

These numbers indicate a dangerous escalation in comparison to the 
months immediately proceeding the uprising, confirming that occupation 
authorities are continuing to use this policy on a large scale. The 
Israeli occupation's use of administrative detention violates all 
restrictions imposed under international law on the use of detention 
without charge or trial. This form of arbitrary detention targets all of 
those who have a leading role in Palestinian society, including leaders 
in education and politics.

The Israeli occupation authorities also aim, through the use of 
administrative detention, to undermine any popular action or uprising 
for self-determination. This policy has been used in an escalating 
manner since the early years of the occupation, increasing in the early 
years and then decreasing after 1977, and then rising again in the 
Intifadas of 1987 and 2000, and once again rose in 2015, with the 
beginning of a popular uprising. The occupation once again escalated its 
use, issuing 1,248 administrative detention orders at that time.

Over the past decades, occupation military courts constituted and remain 
an essential tool in consolidating this policy, through their 
implementation of the orders of the occupation intelligence (the Shin 
Bet). This is confirmed by all the decisions issued by the military 
courts, in various degrees, against the detainees.

Since the beginning of this year, Palestinian prisoners have carried out 
individual hunger strikes against the policy of administrative 
detention. To this day, five prisoners are continuing their open hunger 
strikes in rejection of arbitrary administrative detention in occupation 
prisons, including Ghazanfar Abu Atwan, 28, from Dura, al-Khalil, on 
hunger strike for 40 days; Khader Adnan, 43, from Jenin, on hunger 
strike for 15 days; Amr al-Shami and Yousef al-Amer, on hunger strike 
for 14 days; and Jamal al-Tawil, on hunger strike for 11 days, demanding 
an end to his daughter, Bushra's, administrative detention.

*samidoun <https://samidoun.net/?author=1>* | June 13, 2021 at 5:39 pm | 
URL: https://wp.me/p2cx3f-cdf <https://wp.me/p2cx3f-cdf>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://freedomarchives.org/pipermail/ppnews_freedomarchives.org/attachments/20210613/aad81167/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the PPnews mailing list