[Pnews] Video footage show Israeli jailers assaulting Palestinians in Negev prison

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 10 12:50:09 EDT 2021

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-jailers-assault-palestinians-negev-prison
Video
footage show Israeli jailers assaulting Palestinians in Negev prisonJune
10, 2021
------------------------------

Israeli guards brutally assaulted Palestinian prisoners in a notorious
desert prison in Israel's Negev, footage published by Haaretz
<https://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/.premium-MAGAZINE-1.9890422>on
Thursday reveals.

Security cameras documented the assualt on 55 shackled Palestinian
prisoners linked to the Hamas movement, which was reportedly carried out
on 24 March 2019.

The footage <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVr7OTRrYZo>shows several
Israeli guards throwing prisoners, one by one, to the floor, while swarming
around them, kicking, punching and beating them with batons.

Haaretz said that Palestinian prisoners’ hands were tied behind their
backs, and they were commanded not to move or speak, and left tied on the
ground for hours in a yard opposite a row of prisoners’ tents.

<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-prisoners-health-jerusalem>

East Jerusalem: Israel denies former Palestinian prisoners access to health
insurance

An official at the Israel Prison Service, speaking anonymously, told
Haaretz that it was "one of the most violent incidents in Israeli prisons".

At least 10 Israeli prison guards are seen assaulting the Palestinian
prisoners, yet only four were investigated by Lahav 433, a security agency
that tackles serious crime and corruption.

Lahav 433 has now closed its investigation citing the pretext of
“unidentified criminal”, and has not filed charges against anyone over
the incident.

In March 2019, Palestinian prisoners protested against Israel installing
jamming devices to prevent them from using smuggled phones - sometimes the
only means to contact their relatives.

An Israeli special unit, called Metzada, raided the Negev prison in March
<https://www.arab48.com/%D9%81%D9%84%D8%B3%D8%B7%D9%8A%D9%86%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%AA/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D8%B3%D9%8A%D8%B1%D8%A9/2019/03/03/%D8%A7%D9%82%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%A7%D9%85-%D8%B3%D8%AC%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%86%D9%82%D8%A8-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AD%D8%AA%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%84-%D9%8A%D8%B5%D8%AF%D8%B1-87-%D8%A3%D9%85%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D8%B9%D8%AA%D9%82%D8%A7%D9%84-%D8%A5%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%8A-%D9%84%D8%A3%D8%B3%D8%B1%D9%89>and
placed some prisoners in individual cells. Some were hospitalised.
Palestinian prisoners launched a hunger strike and reached a deal in April
<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/palestinian-prisoners-end-hunger-strike-after-israel-agrees-demands>with
the Israeli Prison Service to install landline phones inside prisons and
release inmates who were held in solitary confinement.

Middle East Eye
<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/jamming-devices-and-violent-raids-palestinians-face-new-battle-israeli-prisons>
reported at the time that Israeli prison authorities enforce a general
prohibition on phone communication for the nearly 5,300 Palestinian
prisoners <http://www.addameer.org/index.php/statistics/2021/06> it
detains. While letters are allowed, the process involves long delays due to
Israeli prison censorship, and sometimes they are not received by the
prisoners’ families.

Under international law, prisoners are entitled to family visits and
communication.

Haaretz said Israeli prison officials claim the incident was prompted by
the stabbing of two jailers.

However no confrontations between prisoners and jailers can be seen on the
footage, and Haaretz noted 15 Palestinian prisoners were transfered to
Soroka hospital for treatment after the incident, two of which were in
serious condition.

'They threw us in the middle of the section as if we were nothing, and they
beat us even though we weren't able to defend ourselves. They broke my jaw,
my teeth and my nose'

*- Amir Salloum, Palestinian prisoner*

Amir Salloum, a 26-year-old Palestinian from Shufaat neighbourhood in
occupied East Jerusalem, has spent four years in the Negev prison.

He told Haaretz that while he was waiting to be transferred from Section 4
to 3, he heard someone shouting “stabbing, stabbing”.

“A few minutes later, prison guards from the Metzada unit came and started
firing metal bullets like this at us. We fled to the outskirts of the
section."

Salloum said another special unit joined forces with Metzada.

"They tied us up and no one resisted that. Then they started beating us
with batons. They threw us in the middle of the section as if we were
nothing, and they beat us even though we weren't able to defend ourselves.
They broke my jaw, my teeth and my nose," Salloum said.

Thirteen Palestinian prisoners have complained about the incident to the
Israeli authorities, but the results of Lahav 433's two-year investigation
could make justice impossible.

Prisoners said that they knew the faces of the guards involved in the
assault, who also reportedly shouted racist abuse and ignored their appeals
to stop.

Salloum said he was sent to the hospital after he started bleeding, but was
also beaten on the way to get treatment.

“We were sure that they would kill us there. Everyone prayed to God,” he
said.