[Pnews] Kevin Cooper responds to news of the granting of an Innocence Investigation

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 4 15:44:38 EDT 2021

     To:'Friends,Comrades&Supporters'

From:KevinCooper

June1,2021

DearComradesinStruggle,

ThisisKevinCooperwritingthesefewthings toyou.It'sbeenawhile since I last
sent out a missive letting you know how I am, so I have decidedtodo sonow.

IamCOVID-19free,andhavehadtwoModernavaccinationshots,andIam
negativeforthat horriblevirus.Itrulyhopethatthesamecanbesaid byallofyou.
(Smile)

It'smyunderstandingthatallofyounowknowthatGovernorNewsomdid
,grantmetheInnocenceInvestigationthatwehavebeenaskinghimfor.WeaskGovernorJerryBrownforit
too,butthatcowardwouldn'tdoit.

Just so you know, this is the firsttime in the history ofthe death
penalty in California that a death row inmate has been granted an
innocenceinvestigation. There area lot offirsts inthis case,
startingwiththefactthatIwasthefirstdeathrowinmatetowalkinsidethatdeathchamberwaiting
room in 2004, and actually walk out of it hours later. Every
otherperson, man or woman was carried out in a body bag after they were
murderedbythisstate prison.

ThiswasthefirstcasefromdeathrowthattheInter-AmericanCommission On Human
Rights took, had a hearing about, and ruled on, saying that
myconstitutionalrightsandhumanrightswereviolatedbythisstate.

Thefirstcaseinwhich13Justicesofthe9thcircuitcourtofappealsdissented in,
and a 13th while concurring and upholding the convictionwrote an opinion
which agreed with everything that we stated but
couldn'tgrantmereliefbecauseofthe1996Anti-TerrorismEffectiveDeathPenalty
ActsignedintolawbyBillClinton.

//The firstdeathpenaltycaseinwhichthepresidentoftheAmericanBar
Associationwrote a letter in support of a death row inmate,me. The
firsthave two different Governors order DNAtestingin. And
hopefullyinthenottodistantfuture,thefirsttohaveadeathrowinmatewalkoffofdeathrowfromapardonissuedbytheGovernor.

Throughout all of this you, or many of you have been with me and
sendingme yourheartfeltthoughts,prayers,supportandanythingelsethatImay
haveneeded.Forthat,Isendyoumy'GratitudeandHeartfelt Thanks'!

While we still have a ways to go, we can see the light at the end of
thisverylong,andvery darktunnelthatIamin.Myentirelegalteamisconfident
that once this investigation is done they will get me out. In order
forustoevengetthisinvestigationorder,wehadtoproveourcase,and wedid!

It'sveryimportanttometocommunicatewithyouthatwebelievethatifIdogetapardonbecausewehavenotonlyprovedthatIaminnocent,
butIwasframedbythosecopsinSanBernadinocounty,andthatD.A.'soffice,thatmycasecanbethefinalnailinthecoffinofthedeathpenaltyinthisstate.Wewillfinallybringanendtoit...

If Iam to get off of this modern day public plantation, I want for youto
know that I am going to continue to fight for our human rights, which
mostdefinitelyincludesendingthedeathpenalty,LW0Pwhichasyouknow
isjustanotherformofthedeathpenalty,andeveryothercrimeagainst
humanitythatcertainpeopleandorinstitutionslovetodotoweoppressed people.

Iwillhopefullymeetsomeofyouinperson,andwanttoworkwithallof
you,evenifonline,tocontinuetodomy partinthishistoricfightforequality,
freedom, justice and everything else that can and will give us
allabetterqualityoflifewithout oppression.

AsaBlackmanin thisworldandcountry,asamanofcultureandconscious and
conscience who is not only oppressed, but imprisoned and was
almostburned alive from the inside by those torturous lethal injection
drugs in2004,knowswhomyfightiswith,andwhoitisnotwith.

Myfightisagainstoppression,andoppressors,that'sit,that'sall!

Withthesefewthingssaid,Iwillendthisfornowwishingallofyou
'Peace,GoodHealth&MuchHappiness'.

               InStruggle &Solidarity,
               KevinCooper