[Pnews] Interstate prison transfers as weapons of political repression: My nine years in domestic exile

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 5 14:55:42 EDT 2021

sfbayview.com
<https://sfbayview.com/2021/06/interstate-prison-transfers-as-weapons-of-political-repression-my-nine-years-in-domestic-exile/>
Interstate
prison transfers as weapons of political repression: My nine years in
domestic exile
june 27, 2021
------------------------------
<https://sfbayview.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/%E2%80%98Turn-the-iron-houses-of-oppression-into-schools-of-liberation-art-by-Rashid-2005-1400x900.jpg>Transferring
prisoners between states is human trafficking, a legacy of slavery and a
form of “enforced disappearance” – a crime under international law since
the 1946 judgment of the Nuremberg Tribunal against Nazi war criminals.
Rashid, along with thousands of other prisoners, has been bounced back and
forth between supermax prisons, death rows and work camps in Virginia,
Indiana, Texas and Florida with the intention of alienating him from
friendships and pitting people against him. Nothing deters Rashid from
making art or speaking out against these oppressors and his efforts to
enlighten minds softened by the prison system. – Art: Kevin “Rashid”
Johnson, 264847, Wabash Valley Correctional Facility, P.O. Box 500,
Carlisle IN 47838

*by Kevin ‘Rashid’ Johnson*
*Introduction*

In December 1990, a Special International Tribunal was held on the
existence and abuse of political prisoners and prisoners of war (PPs and
POWs) in the United States. The tribunal was conducted both to politically
educate the public and as a semi-judicial event to put the Amerikan
government on public trial, in light of its persistent denial of the
existence of PPs in the U.S. and its use of extreme methods of repression
to suppress political activism and expression of the poor, workers,
oppressed nationality people of color and their anti-imperialist allies.

A formal indictment was drawn up against the U.S. government by longtime
movement attorneys Jan Susler and Lennox S. Hinds on behalf of nearly 100
PPs and POWs held in the U.S. That indictment enumerated several categories
of political imprisonment practiced by the U.S. government. Under “Count
III: Cruel, Inhumane and Degrading Treatment,” it identified Amerika’s use
of interstate prison transfers as a form of political repression against
political prisoners. It stated:

“Retaliatory Transfers: Political prisoners, including those who have
become politicized since their incarceration, are transferred from one
prison to another in retaliation for the exercise of their right to free
speech and/or association in the prisons, and/or to isolate them from
outside friends and supporters. Most states and the federal government are
now parties to an interstate compact permitting a prisoner in one state to
serve his/her sentence thousands of miles away from home and family.”
*Politicized in captivity*

Since 2012, I have been transferred between states under interstate
compacts five times because of my political activities: from my home state
of Virginia to Oregon, Texas, Florida, then back to Virginia and now to
Indiana. In my transfer to Indiana, I was traded with Shaka Shakur, another
prisoner who has been politically active for a number of years and a thorn
in the side of Indiana prison officials. He wrote about our swap in a 2019
article
<https://sfbayview.com/2019/04/shaka-shakur-traded-for-rashid-exposes-domestic-exile-new-strategy-in-prison-low-intensity-warfare/>
.[1]

I’d spent the first decade of my imprisonment physically warring against
abuses of myself and other prisoners in the Virginia prison system. I was
first exposed to revolutionary ideas and history and began my political
journey in 2001, and from there began writing and working with outside
activists.

In addition to writing political articles, I wrote about the abuses I and
others suffered and witnessed, contributed to developing several prisoner
support organizations, national and state-based protest actions, cofounded
the New Afrikan Black Panther Party – NABPP, now the Revolutionary
Intercommunal Black Panther Party, or RIBPP – and other efforts.

*I was repeatedly targeted with trumped up criminal indictments for
physical resistance, all of which were thrown out in turn with me
representing myself.*

In 2009 I was labeled a “domestic terrorist threat” in the 2009 Virginia
Terrorism Threat Assessment Report written by the Virginia State Police’s
fusion center in collaboration with the feds. According to the report, the
reason for this slanderous classification and blatant political targeting
was the proven “influence” of my writings in rallying “prisoners and their
associates on the outside to unite against law enforcement and the
correctional system,” and my cofounding an organization – the NABPP – that
sought “to continue the mission of the original Black Panthers.”

With my work and publicizing prison abuses to the public, the repression I
faced changed qualitatively and intensified in comparison to the repression
I experienced when I’d responded with isolated physical resistance. I
continued writing and organizing and was able to counter a lot of this
repression by mobilizing outside supporters and through legal efforts.

I was also repeatedly targeted with trumped up criminal indictments for
physical resistance to guard abuses, including multiple counts of attempted
capital murder against guards and felonious assaults, all of which were
thrown out in turn with me representing myself.
*Retaliatory transfers*

It was then, in early 2012, that Virginia officials first transferred me
without prior notice or hearing to another state, Oregon, where officials
attempted to incite racial violence against and between me and various
white supremacist prison groups, many of whom I ended up politicizing. I
wrote about my Oregon experiences in a 2013 article, “Political Struggle in
the Teeth of Prison Reaction <http://rashidmod.com/?p=2684>.”[2]

My political work and writings about abusive conditions continued in
Oregon. I was subjected to repression there through the mentioned attempts
to incite violence, bogus disciplinary actions, being thrown in solitary
confinement and so on, which did nothing to deter me. Consequently, Oregon
officials demanded that Virginia move me elsewhere.

I was then transferred in 2013 to the notoriously abusive Texas prison
system, where as soon as I arrived and while still in chains and
defenseless, I was assaulted by guards in riot gear, then by ranking
officials – an assistant warden, major and prison guard captain – and had
my dreadlocks forcibly cut off.

As soon as the restraints were removed, several physical altercations
followed with their riot teams, who retreated, and I was promptly
transferred from their reception center to a maximum security prison and
thrown into solitary. This all occurred on my first day in the Texas prison
system <http://rashidmod.com/?p=856>.[3]

As in Oregon, my political work and writing exposing inhumane prison
conditions continued in Texas. Again, repression followed, which I resisted
and which had no deterrent effect on me. Texas officials ordered Virginia
to remove me.

*As Kimberly Daniels, a Black Florida congresswoman stated after touring
one such prison and the terrifying treatment even she received from the
staff
<http://miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/florida-prisons/article209789104.html>
in
2018: “I couldn’t sleep for two days after leaving that place. It’s a
culture. That’s a city where the KKK lived. And they work in the prison.”*

This time, during 2017, I was sent to Florida, the country’s most violently
and notoriously abusive prison system, and held in that state’s most
notoriously abusive prisons – prisons acknowledged by Florida’s own
congressional representatives to be run by the Klan.

As Kimberly Daniels, a Black Florida congresswoman stated after touring one
such prison and the terrifying treatment even she received from the staff
<http://miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/florida-prisons/article209789104.html>
in
2018: “I couldn’t sleep for two days after leaving that place. It’s a
culture. That’s a city where the KKK lived. And they work in the prison.”[4]

She was talking about the Reception and Medical Center in Lake Butler,
Fla., the first prison I was held at when I was first sent to Florida in
2017.

Compared to my prior interstate placements, repression against me and
abuses I witnessed were greatly increased in the Florida prison system. My
writing and political work also intensified – again, I was not curbed.

In Florida, officials also tried to hide my location from the public and
outside supporters and frustrate my ability to communicate with the
outside. I was not listed in the state’s online prisoner locator system,
and people who called the prisons about me, including attorneys, were told
I was located elsewhere.

The deliberate concealment of my location added a particularly sinister and
illegal aspect to my domestic exile, applying a German Nazi tactic of
wartime political repression – enforced disappearance.

Secret detention is a form of enforced disappearance which has been a crime
under international law since the 1946 judgment of the Nuremburg Tribunal
against Nazi war criminals
<https://crimeofaggression.info/documents/6/1946_Nuremberg_Judgement.pdf>.
In relevant part, that tribunal convicted Nazi Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel
for his role in enforcing Adolf Hitler’s “Night and Fog” decree issued Dec.
7, 1941, that called for secretly detaining and disappearing people deemed
a threat to German security but “who were not to be immediately executed.”
[5]

After a physical altercation between me and guards, which was prompted by
my speaking out about their routinely refusing meals and assaulting a
neighboring prisoner who suffered obvious mental illness, Florida officials
demanded that Virginia remove me “within five days.”

Because Virginia officials didn’t have any other state willing to accept me
within that timeframe, they had to temporarily take me back in. Upon my
return, I was housed so as to keep me isolated from other prisoners. They
admittedly feared my influence on others and exposing their mistreatments
to the public.

Initially I was held alone in a completely empty cellblock in the state’s
super-maximum security Red Onion State Prison. Then I was moved to the
state’s death row at Sussex One State Prison, where only three death row
prisoners remained. They were ordered by the warden not to communicate with
me. When these prisoners openly defied the warden, I was then moved into
another isolated cellblock and denied outside exercise and other basic
entitlements.

*Snitch jacketing is a particularly sinister counterintelligence tactic
commonly used by the pigs specifically to destroy independent activists and
organizations modeled after the FBI’s counterintelligence program
(COINTELPRO) against the BPP and American Indian Movement.*

Efforts to isolate me continued until Virginia officials finally negotiated
with Indiana to take me. Here in Indiana, where I remain, officials have
again tried to hide my location by not listing me in the state’s online
prisoner locator system.

Upon our being traded, both Shaka Shakur and I have been targeted with
various well-established “counterintelligence” tactics, calculated to
discredit and isolate us and incite conflict with prisoners, including
official efforts to falsely portray us as informants – putting “snitch
jackets” on us – to other prisoners in these “alien” states where we are
relatively unknown to other prisoners.

Snitch jacketing is a particularly sinister counterintelligence tactic
commonly used by the pigs specifically to destroy independent activists and
organizations. Ward Churchill wrote about it in his book on the FBI’s
counterintelligence program (COINTELPRO) against the BPP and American
Indian Movement, where he explained:

“‘Snitch-jacketing’ or ‘bad-jacketing’ refers to the practice of creating
suspicion – through the spread of rumors, manufacture of evidence etc. ­–
that bona fide organizational members, usually in key positions, are FBI or
police informers, guilty of such offenses as skimming organizational funds
and the like. The purpose of this tactic was to ‘isolate and eliminate’
organizational leadership; such efforts were continued – and in some
instances accelerated – when it became known that the likely outcome would
be extreme violence visited upon the ‘jacketed’ individual(s).
Bad-jacketing was a very commonly used technique.”[6]

Churchill went on to explain that “jacketing” people is “well known in
prisons where guards are adept” at playing prisoners against each other.

Indiana’s prisons present a particularly fertile environment for officials
to snitch jacket prisoners. This is because the prison culture here is one
where officials have successfully molded prisoners to think like them and
have cultivated a value system where prisoners inherently distrust and
compete with each other, but trust and look to win acceptance, favors and
approval from the pigs. The Willie Lynch mentality and peer suspicion is
deeply rooted in the culture.

The prisoners are mentally softened up to not think critically or seek
unity among themselves, by the prevalence of officially facilitated
addiction and petty materialism and the uncritical practice of prisoners
habitually gossiping, rumormongering, prying into others’ personal affairs
and readily discussing personal things and engaging in “friendly” banter
with the pigs – a total reversal of the old prison and political culture of
decades past.

An informant culture prevails where the prisoners openly give information
to officials and spread misinformation generated by them.

In any case, in Indiana, my political work and writings have continued,
alongside my having previously unavailable access to communicate with
outside people using the phone via tablets we have use of inside our cells
throughout the day. I have therefore been able to contribute more directly
to the outside work of others and organizations I support and cofounded. I
continue to experience the range of repressions and remain undeterred as
ever.

These have been the conditions I have experienced and contended with, and
which prompted my ongoing domestic exile – being bounced from state to
state – over the past nine years. Political oppression and COINTELPRO are
alive and well in Amerika.

Specific accounts of the conditions I experienced and witnessed over these
years can be read in the many articles on my website, which are separated
according to each state system I have been imprisoned in – see rashidmod.com
.

Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win! All Power to the People!

*Rashid Johnson, a prisoner in Virginia who was transferred to Oregon in
2012 and subsequently to Texas, Florida and now Indiana, has been held in
segregation since 1993. While in prison, he founded the New Afrikan Black
Panther Party, now reorganized as the . As a writer, Rashid has been
compared to George Jackson, and he is also the renowned artist who drew the
image that became the icon of the California hunger strikes. See his
writing and art at **rashidmod.com* <http://rashidmod.com/>*. **Send our
brother some love and light: Kevin Johnson, 264847, Wabash Valley
Correctional Facility, P.O. Box 1111, Carlisle IN 46391.*
------------------------------

[1] Shaka Shakur, “Shaka Shakur Traded for Rashid, Exposes ‘Domestic
Exile,’ New Strategy in Prison Low Intensity Warfare
<https://sfbayview.com/2019/04/shaka-shakur-traded-for-rashid-exposes-domestic-exile-new-strategy-in-prison-low-intensity-warfare/>,”
San Francisco Bay View, May 2019, p. 3.

[2] Kevin “Rashid” Johnson, “Political Struggle in the Teeth of Prison
Reaction: From Virginia to Oregon <http://rashidmod.com/?p=2684>,” 2013,
http://rashidmod.com/?p=2684

[3] I discuss this experience in Kevin “Rashid” Johnson, “The Texas
Department of Cowboy Justice: A Case of Lawless Law Enforcement
<http://rashidmod.com/?p=856>,” 2017, http://rashidmod.com/?p=856

[4] Sarah Blaskey, “‘Timothy Thomas Was Murdered,’ a Politician Says. His
Prison Death Is Part of an Epidemic
<http://miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/florida-prisons/article209789104.html>,”
April 30, 2018,
http://miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/florida-prisons/article209789104.html

[5] See, Judgment of the International Military Tribunal for the Trial of
Major German War Criminals, Nuremberg, Sept. 30 and Oct. 1, 1946 (Nuremberg
Judgment
<https://crimeofaggression.info/documents/6/1946_Nuremberg_Judgement.pdf>),
Cmd. 6964, Misc. No. (London: HMSO 1946), p 88.

[6] Ward Churchill, “Agents of Repression: The FBI’s Secret War Against the
Black Panther Party and the American Indian Movement” (South End Press:
Cambridge, MA 2002), p. 49; See, also, the U.S. Congressional (Church
Committee) investigation report condemning the FBI’s COINTELPRO as
unlawful, with specific reference to jacketing targets: “The ‘snitch
jacket’ technique – neutralizing a target by labeling him a ‘snitch’ or
informant, so that he would no longer be trusted – was used in all [FBI
counterintelligence programs]. The methods utilized ranged from having an
authentic informant start a rumor about the target member, to anonymous
letters or phone calls, to faked informants’ reports … The ‘snitch jacket’
is a particularly nasty technique even when used in peaceful groups. It
gains an added dimension of danger when it is used – as, indeed, it was –
in groups known to have murdered informants.” U.S. Congressional Report:
Intelligence Activities and the Rights of Americans, 94th Congress, 2nd
Session, Report No. 94-755 (1976), Book III, p. 46.