[Pnews] Eric is given yet another 6 month correspondence restriction & Interview with Eric

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 25 10:42:52 EST 2021

*2 Articles Follow*
https://supportericking.org/2021/01/17/eric-is-given-yet-another-6-month-correspondence-restriction/
Eric
is given yet another 6 month correspondence restriction – Support Eric
KingJanuary
17, 2021

On January 5th, 2021, Eric was once again placed on a 6-
month communication restriction in response to a New Year’s Eve noise demo
that was held outside of FCI Englewood by various groups in Denver, a demo
that happens every single year at prisons worldwide. After being accused of
organizing the demo, the BOP finally admitted that they are aware  that
Eric had nothing to do with the noise demo. Despite this fact, the BOP
North Central Regional office instructed  Englewood to restrict Eric’s
communication.

Apparently, in the BOP prisoners will be held responsible for anything
anyone may do. It is interesting though that in 2017 when the right-wing
Bundy family attempted to force their way into the prison to visit a
prisoner they stood in solidarity with, driving around the parking lot,
evading guards, blasting music… there were no disciplinary actions or
restrictions enforced on the prisoner. This must be another special BOP
rule that only applies to anti-fascists.

Eric can no longer correspond with anyone outside his family and lawyer. He
is again cut off from communication from anyone that might offer him
support and strength and solidarity during a global pandemic. He is
again isolated from all contact with friends that matter deeply to him.

If folks want to help, he can receive books. These can be a great
distraction for him and all of the prisoners he passes them onto,
especially during this next level federal lock-down.

Donations to the bad ass lawfirm who has stepped up for him in a real way
can be made, to help ensure they have the resources to continue to stand
behind folks who are fighting oppression in real ways.
https://itsgoingdown.org/keep-us-alive-and-vibrant-out-there-an-interview-with-political-prisoner-eric-king/
Keep
Us Alive and Vibrant Out There: An Interview with Political Prisoner Eric
King - It's Going Down
January 24, 21

*An interview with anarchist political-prisoner Eric King with the
Seattle-Tacoma chapter of Black and Pink.*

In this time when authorities refuse to keep people safe from COVID-19,
when rebellion is a fresh on our minds, and when the abolition of police
and prisons is becoming a clear necessity to more and more people, we’ve
got something to learn from an anarchist political prisoner like Eric King.
Eric vandalized the office of a government official in Kansas City, MO, in
solidarity with the Ferguson uprising, was arrested in September 2014, and
then was sentenced to ten years for the window he broke in June 2016. Such
a sentence is horrible, but not shocking. Prisons, after all, do more to
keep hierarchies safe than people.

Eric is now facing a bogus charge of assaulting an officer
<https://truthout.org/articles/incarcerated-anti-fascists-report-targeted-beatings-by-guards/>
that could land him another 20 years inside. At the time of writing this,
he has been hit with a mail restriction and can’t receive letters of support
<https://supportericking.org/2021/01/17/eric-is-given-yet-another-6-month-correspondence-restriction/>.
But we can make ourselves aware of his case and learn from his words.

The following is an interview with Eric conducted through snail mail by the
Seattle-Tacoma chapter of Black and Pink, a queer/trans abolitionist group
that focuses on building community across prison walls.

*Black and Pink Seattle-Tacoma:* *How would you characterize
FCI-Englewood’s response to COVID-19?*

*Eric King:* Dreadful! At least in the SHU. People were brought in without
being tested, staff was never tested. Our tiers were not cleaned more than
once a week, we were only given 3 showers a week. No bleach was used
anywhere. We were given masks, but staff/admin was so slack with their
usage. Now we have a massive outbreak. The entire SHU was ill and staff
refused to acknowledge or test us, until on Thanksgiving when things were
so bad a med officer had no choice but to test 3 of us… all positive. A few
days later they test everyone else, ALL positives. Then, AFTER we all are
very sick, they institute a SHU lockdown, they start bleaching the showers
between use, etc. Warden Greilick failed. None of us have been given
anything for it, not even info about symptoms and how to make it less.
Greilick failed, 600+ cases, all preventable.

*B&P:* *What’s something about being in prison that you feel like people
outside don’t understand, and need to know? Were there expectations you had
about prison that shifted once you were incarcerated?*

*EK:* I’m not sure people realize or care about the amount of psych games
these people play. It is violent. Withholding mail for weeks or months
claiming you don’t have any, searching your cell and vandalizing your
family photos. Placing you intentionally around people who wish to harm
you. I’ve seen cops lie and tell a group a certain person is a rat just to
get that person fucked up. Happens all the time and isn’t limited just to
unit cops. Medical will see you on your death bed and say you just need
more water. People die because of this gaslighting. You file your
grievances as you’re supposed to and get told they never got filed, that
YOU are lying. It’s a miracle there aren’t staff murders every day. Instead
people internalize this bullshit and give up, or turn anger on fellow
convicts instead of toward the system baring down on them. It’s an
effective spirit breaker. I honestly thought in prison it’d be “us vs.
them” … it isn’t… it’s us vs. us while they laugh and manipulate us.
Devastating.

*B&P:* *What do you notice about how different populations in the prison
are treated? How has your position affected your treatment?*

*EK:* Different groups get treated different for sure, usually to stir
resentment and violence. Gay and transgender people get treated abysmally
by all races/gangs AND staff. They are demonized and treated as less than
scum, often left vulnerable to attack or staff harassment.

My position as an anti-racist / anti-fascist person has been used to create
divisions and separation. At USP-McCreary while in the SHU, staff mocked my
“Antifa” face tattoo and assured me they were going to get me jumped… and
they did. Mail is ALWAYS horribly delayed and often arbitrarily rejected,
email has to be read and approved before being sent out – which can take
days. I’ve been denied phone calls for 2 years after a website posted about
me and my wife was denied visiting access due to her “ideology.” Staff
talks big shit trying to instigate violence, subject you to a large amount
of searches and property confiscation… you get targeted.

*B&P:* *What sustains you while you’re inside? What support are you getting
that is really making you feel supported?*

*EK:* The support that feels the “most,” is when people/groups do things
outside of me, on their own. Things like banner drops, fundraising, getting
writings or info published to various sources. Being kept relevant and
alive. In the near future it will be trial support: either showing up,
posting about it, encouraging others to come, things like that. I have an
amazing family who is outlandishly loving and supportive, I am very present
in their lives. I have great friends and supporters who look out for me
super tough. These things sustain me. Also, I am very secure in myself. My
ethics and my belief in myself, in my future. These things carry me
throughout the day. They won’t beat me.

*B&P:* *What is the relationship between your incarceration and your
political education? How has the experience of being incarcerated
changed how you think about the world?*

*EK:* Prison has reaffirmed all my anarchist beliefs and helped teach me
further about what oppression really is. Prison has shown me, just like
Congress or insurance companies have shown me, that governments do not give
a shit about marginalized people, that our come-up will be through
solidarity and unity. I lived in a bubble, knowing racism, homo/transphobia
existed and needed to be fought, but surrounding myself with like-minded
people, having the privilege to encounter these things on my terms, at
rallies or fights. Prison has introduced me to new levels of hate, bigotry
and violence. It has taught me the fear I face in prison for being
different politically, is similar to what folks feel like in their homes or
communities and this is devastating.

*B&P:* *What did your life look like day-to-day before COVID? What does it
look like now?*

*EK:* My life pre-COVID and post-COVID are not vastly different. I am in
the SHU pending trial for “assaulting an officer,” I’ve been in this
pre-trial SHU 16 months. COVID has caused burdens for all of us. They cut
visits, including legal… so although I’ve got trial in 4 months, I’ve yet
to meet my new legal team, although we are allowed a couple 15 minute legal
calls per month… smh. They also decided to cut our food portions by a
third, which is logical and definitely not the stupidest shit imaginable.
For breakfast, bagged food. For lunch and dinner, styrofoam trays. It’s a
farce. People back here with phone access decided to finally follow policy,
so I’ve been getting my monthly one call, that’s been amazing.

The people in charge of the prisons are bad people, it’s important folks
know this. They are pieces of shit who need to be publicly outed as enemies
of the people. J.E. Krueger – Regional Director wouldn’t let tests be taken
to keep numbers low. Put him (and his office) on blast! Now-retired Warden
Greilick and his lackey Ms. Thomas ensured pre-trial prisoners have no
access to their lawyers. Our “rights” are toilet paper to these bastards.

*B&P:* *How important has it been to have people writing you while you are
in prison?*

*EK:* Letter writing is beautiful for a plethora of reasons, including
showing the prison that we aren’t invisible, we are loved and supported. It
also helps us to stay human, having real friendships in the world. That
said, for prison support groups, or abolitionists, letter writing should
never be the end-all. We need real support. We need phone-call ins, we need
fundraisers for legal support or just so we can write you back or call our
families. We need people to get our words out there, to spread awareness,
we need books or magazines, we need people to look in on our families, to
protest for us, to act in solidarity, to dox our torturers, to write about
us, to keep us alive and vibrant out there. Support is support. Letter
writing as a means to show kindness or build friendship on an individual
basis is a beautiful thing, though; it’s a way to maintain reality and a
sense of who we are as people, instead of “King 27090045.”

Much love to the FireAnt Collective, Rob, Nadiya, M. Kimble, J. Rose, S.
Swan, Thomas, and all anarchist and revolutionaries inside. Comrades, we
are together. Fight 2 win. Thank you 2 all those who fight 4 us: Certain
Days, all the ABC and ABCFs, B&P, all those fighting for us.

You can contribute to Eric King’s legal defense fund here
<https://fundrazr.com/e1cKo1?ref=ab_1rwmwnta08u1rwmwnta08u>.

  <https://itsgoingdown.org/product/one-time-donation/>