[Pnews] Palestinian Prisoners In Israeli Jails Face A Point Of No Return

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Aug 8 14:12:14 EDT 2021

coremiddleeast.com
<https://coremiddleeast.com/palestinian-prisoners-in-israeli-jails-face-a-point-of-no-return/>

  Palestinian Prisoners In Israeli Jails Face A Point Of No Return

By Kasturi Chakraborty - August 4, 2021

 From shackling the prisoners to their beds and denying them medical
treatment to adopting a system of comprehensive violence, Israel’s
perpetual violations of the basic rights of Palestinian prisoners expose
how the use of torture under “special measures” is officially sanctioned
and justified by the claim of “necessity”.

“The feeling of victory is beautiful, but I left my brothers behind,”
28-year-old Palestinian administrative detainee Ghadanfar Abu Atwan told
/Core Middle East/ after his release from Israel’s Raymond prison this
month.

He was transferred from the Israel Prison Service clinic in Ramle to
Istishari Hospital in the occupied West Bank after he was freed from
Israeli custody. Being on a hunger strike since May 6, Ghadanfar’s
health deteriorated.

“I was arrested when I was 19 years old. I had no charges against me and
Israel kept extending the period of my detention without any trial. I
decided to go on a hunger strike during which I was tortured and beaten
in prison. It did not stop there. When I was taken to Ramle clinic due
to my deteriorating health, I was abused and kept naked for 24 hours,”
said Ghadanfar.

Ghadanfar Abu Atwan with his family after his release from prison.

He said that these hospitals are “death traps” for Palestinian
prisoners. “When a Palestinian prisoner tries to defend himself, they
kill him,” the Palestinian activist informed /Core Middle East. /

Although Ghadanfar returned home on July 17, he is constantly fighting
against the mass incarceration of Palestinians. Instead of focusing on
his health, he is out on the streets seeking justice for those who are
being imprisoned unjustly. One such prisoner is Eyad Hrebat (39) from
Khirbet Sikka near Dura in the south of Hebron. He is in prison for the
last 20 years. His family had no idea he was alive because the prison
authorities had told them that he was not alive.

Ghadanfar Abu Atwan shows solidarity with Palestinian prisoner Eyad
Hrebat after his release.

“Eyad’s condition is extremely critical. But he is serving life in
Israeli prison, so if something happens to him, the Israeli authorities
will not hand over his body or disclose any details about his death to
his family,” Ghadanfar said, adding that bodies of Palestinians are
often used as a “bargaining chip” by the carceral state that is Israel.

/Core Middle East/ spoke to Eyad’s sister-in-law, Doha Mohamed Youssef
Mostafa from occupied Al-Khalil, who said he is currently at Soroka
Medical Center in Beersheba, Israel. The worst part is his family knows
nothing about his health at the moment. A few weeks back when his health
worsened, his mother was just allowed to meet him once at the Ramla
prison clinic.

“Eyad is on ventilator support and his health hangs by a thread. But we
are not aware of the specifics of his health at the moment. I contacted
the lawyer but he said family visitation has been denied and no medical
updates have been shared with the family,” Doha said.

Eyad Hrebat was a 19-year-old engineering student at An-Najah National
University when he was arrested on September 21, 2002. His sister-in-law
recalls how bright Eyad was as a student. He got his B.A. in Political
Science and International Relations while in prison, learned several
languages, and also helped fellow prisoners with reading and writing.

Doha said Eyad was accused of inciting violence against Israeli forces
while he was defending his land. He was part of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs
Brigades and the Palestinian resistance. What has followed since then is
a series of deliberate medical negligence.

Even though he needed extensive medical care, the Israeli administration
made sure that he returned to prison in the middle of his treatments. So
far, Eyad has undergone multiple surgeries after the Israeli forces
injected him with some unknown substances that led to his memory loss
and complete paralysis.

The Prisoner’s Club had said the medical negligence caused a
neurological disorder that has affected Eyad’s ability to talk and move,
making his body shiver constantly. The contaminated injections have
caused a bacterial infection to spread throughout his body, through the
blood to his lungs, and he lost almost 70 kgs of weight due to decades
of systematic abuse.

“Eyad was tortured in every possible way. To make it worse, he was put
in solitary confinement. The Raymond prison authorities sprayed some
toxic gas on him that burned his body, and his legs and arms have
stopped functioning,” Doha said.

Eyad’s lawyer informed that his client does not remember anything about
what happened to him inside the Raymond Prison about a month ago. “Eyad
suffered chronic prostatitis that led to the problem of urinary
retention. He had a prostatic stent that ruptured and led to a
laceration in the bladder and prostate after which he was transferred
again to Soroka Hospital,” the lawyer said.

He was getting treated at Soroka Hospital where his health had slightly
improved but then again the prison authorities transferred him to Ramle
prison clinic, which is basically a “slaughterhouse” for Palestinian
prisoners and is known for its medical crimes.

Although Eyad’s medical reports were not shared with the family, Doha
said the doctor at Soroka Hospital had specifically informed the family
that he needed three to four more months in the hospital. He currently
cannot stand on his feet, carry out any vital functions without
assistance, and his life is bound to external devices.

Eyad’s case is not unique and it only highlights how Palestinians become
everyday targets of torture in the Israeli prison system, which has been
legitimized through domestic law since its creation in 1948.

As a signatory,
<https://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cedaw/docs/ngos/APSHRA_factSheet_Israel43.pdf>
Israel has c0nstantly violated the terms of the Convention against
Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
(CAT,1987) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
(ICCPR, 1966) and the Fourth Geneva Convention (GCIV,1949), which
prohibit the use of torture during interrogation as well as in custody.

 From shackling the prisoners to their beds and denying them medical
treatment to adopting a system of comprehensive violence, Israel’s
perpetual violations of the basic rights of Palestinian prisoners expose
how the use of torture under “special measures” is officially sanctioned
and justified by the claim of “necessity”.

Methods of torture used by Shin Bet interrogators against Palestinian
prisoners. Photo: Abid Katib/Getty Images

“There are many things Israel is not supposed to do as per the
international law but that has never stopped it from doing what it
does,” says Dawn Shannon who is privy to 28-year-old Palestinian
prisoner Bassam Jaber’s case. Dawn is from the Netherlands and is
married to a Palestinian man and has two children. She says she has
started a petition to demand the release of Bassam in order to help yet
another unfairly imprisoned Palestinian.

Speaking about the case, Dawn said: “Bassam was originally arrested for
stone-throwing and later charged with planning a military attack. His
imprisonment changed to administrative detention for 6 months, which can
extend further.”

Following an appeal hearing in the Ofer military court on July 25,
Bassam’s lawyer Abdullah Hoshieh said, “The session was good in my
opinion, and the position of the prosecution was somewhat weak. But
administrative detention is linked to the Israeli intelligence and it
influences the decisions of the judges.”

The lawyer has also informed that the court’s decision was scheduled to
be issued on July 29 but that did not take place. “The appeal was first
delayed and finally rejected. The next step would be to approach the
Supreme Court,” he said.

Bassam went on a hunger strike on June 24 and spent 18 days without food
and 11 days without water. “A few days back, he was tricked into signing
a document in Hebrew with an assurance that he would be released from
prison, in his lawyer’s absence. Bassam ended his hunger strike assuming
he would be free and boarded a bus. However, instead of taking him home,
it transferred him to Al-Naqab Prison,” Dawn said.

Originally from Qalqilya, Bassam lives in Qatanna, northwest of Al-Quds
(Occupied Jerusalem), and is married and has three children (4 years
old, 3 years old, and an almost 8 months old baby). “Bassam’s wife has
some serious complications in her spinal cord and his youngest child has
diabetes. His wife is concerned about their children who have been
unjustly separated from their father,” Dawn added.

According to the data <https://www.addameer.org/> shared by the Addameer
Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, Israeli prisons are
holding 4,850 Palestinian political prisoners, including 540
administrative detainees without any charge or trial. There are 225
child prisoners and 41 female prisoners, the data shows.

Israeli Prison Services figures show that as of August 31 last year,
Israel held 4,207 Palestinians in custody for “security” offenses,
including 153 children, many for throwing stones, and 355 in
administrative detention without formal charges or trial and based on
secret evidence.

    52,000 Administrative Detention orders have been issued since 1967.
    That represents at
    least 15,000 years of jail time – spent for no reasons!
    pic.twitter.com/7e9UFnmWfE <https://t.co/7e9UFnmWfE>

    — Aya Isleem 🇵🇸 #Gaza (@AyaIsleemEn) April 16, 2019
    <https://twitter.com/AyaIsleemEn/status/1118090365272297472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

/Core Middle East /spoke to a few human rights activists in and outside
Palestine who shared their experiences in trying to make sense of how
the Israeli government would rather see an administrative detainee dead
than release him.

Pictures from administrative detention campaign’s event. (Courtesy:
Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association)

“As laid out in the Geneva Conventions, administrative detention is
permissible for an occupying force when used to temporarily incarcerate
an individual who poses an immediate and significant threat to the
occupying force or nation. However, it is not meant to be used in an
arbitrary manner to detain and imprison people indefinitely for
protesting, advocating for their rights, or political views.

“This is also why military occupations are meant to be temporary as
there is a chance that the occupying force will use these war-time
measures as a way to control, intimidate and silence the people who they
are occupying,” said Jane Large, a human rights activist and high school
teacher from Canada.

A search must be accompanied by a warrant or meet basic restrictive
conditions, which never apply in cases of Palestinians living in the
West Bank. As per Israeli law, detainees need to be brought before a
judge within 24 hours. This can even extend to 48-96 hours in
exceptional circumstances. This does not apply to Palestinian detainees.
The military law permits Israel to hold Palestinian detainees for up to
eight days before they see a judge.

The parallel criminal justice systems maintained by Israeli authorities
show how Jewish settlers enjoy robust rights protection and Palestinians
do not while living in the same territory. While one faces a 100%
conviction rate in military courts, the other does not get prosecuted in
military courts. Palestinians need permits for demonstrations and can
even be jailed for 10 years for participating in a gathering of more
than 10 people. But when it comes to setters, the number needs to be
more than 50 for the issuance of permits.

Israeli authorities blatantly violate international humanitarian law by
jailing most Palestinian prisoners from the OPT inside Israel even
though the transfer of residents from the occupied territory is
forbidden. This becomes a major issue when it comes to family visits.

Because Israel does not have any domestic legislation prohibiting the
use of torture, the boundaries of the degradation under the guise of
state security are illimitable.

“I believe that the basic human rights of prisoners must be upheld
regardless of what crime they commit. I do not adhere to beliefs such as
an “eye for an eye”, even if they are built into judicial systems, as I
believe this kind of retribution only fuels cycles of revenge,
retaliation, and hatred,” Jane said.

Just like Ghandafar, some don’t even fear getting arrested multiple
times as long as they could mobilize local and international support by
advocating for the Palestinian cause.

“Be it assaults, detentions, arrests, insults, or threats on social
media, I have been subjected to all sorts of harassment by
settler-colonists and occupying soldiers,” Badee Dwaik, founder and
president of Human Rights Defenders Group in Palestine, informed /Core
Middle East. /

Badee was arrested more than 19 times. He said he was 19 years and a
half years old when he was arrested for the first time and spent three
years in Israeli prisons. After his release, he founded the Human Rights
Defenders Group with the objective of mobilizing masses in non-violent
popular resistance against the occupation. It has been actively
spreading awareness about prisoners of conscience on hunger strikes
through social media, advocacy campaigns, sit-ins, and by addressing
several international bodies, seeking their intervention.

According to the Palestinian Prisoners Club’s statement, 11 Palestinian
prisoners were on a hunger strike against their administrative detention
in Israeli jails in July.

“One of our goals was to establish a photography project to document the
crimes and violations of the occupation forces against my people and
supporting Palestinian families who live in closed areas and are
besieged by settlements and military barriers on the psychological,
social, and economic levels,” Badee added.

He also shared that a program has been introduced to empower families
that live in close military areas. “We give free courses in English,
Hebrew, photography and video production to such families, and organize
picnics and fun activities for children,” the human rights activist said.

Meanwhile, /Core Middle East/ also spoke to Yasmin A Frühbrodt, an Iraqi
human rights defender who has been constantly advocating for the rights
of Palestinian prisoners on social media through petitions and campaigns.

  “We were always taught that the entirety of the Middle East is not
free from imperialism and colonialism until Palestine was free. All of
Palestine. We were always told that a two-state solution was never an
option. I remember that we never heard or read the word Israel; it was
always Occupied Palestine. We never heard or read the word Jews; it was
always Zionists. We knew the difference between Judaism and Zionism,”
Yasmin said.

Badee and other human rights activists echoed similar sentiments while
explaining the extent of “medical apartheid” unleashed by Israeli
authorities. The occupation authorities were first reluctant to provide
vaccinations to Palestinian prisoners, even though the citizens of the
occupying country were among the first to get vaccinated.

Moreover, underArticle 56
<https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl.nsf/ART/380-600063?OpenDocument>of
the Fourth Geneva Convention, Israel, as the occupying power, has the
duty of ensuring, to the fullest extent of the means available to it,
“the adoption and application of the prophylactic and preventive
measures necessary to combat the spread of contagious diseases and
epidemics” in the occupied Palestinian territory (the West Bank,
including East Jerusalem, and Gaza), with the cooperation of local
authorities. UnderArticle 55
<https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl.nsf/ART/380-600062?OpenDocument>Israel
has the duty of ensuring “medical supplies of the population … if the
resources of the occupied territory are inadequate.”

Whatever Palestinian prisoners go through in Israeli jails is reflective
of a long history of a sick, and corrupt society, and prisoners like
Bassam and Eyad have reached a point of no return. Through prolonged
hunger strikes, they are constantly putting their lives on the line to
reclaim their agency and assert their political existence.

It is imperative to support and nurture this resistance but this should
not be their only way out of prison. The mounting pressure by
grassroots, human rights organizations, and official bodies in and
outside Palestine to hold Israel accountable, and the swelling support
for prisoners’ rights reflects a seismic shift in global governance to
make sure that the prisoners never have to resort to such acts of
resistance by causing irreversible harm to their bodies.