[Pnews] Prominent Palestinian Astrophysicist set to administrative detention!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 7 11:26:14 EDT 2020

http://www.scientists4palestine.com/breaking-news-prominent-palestinian-astrophysicist-set-to-administrative-detention/?link_id=0&can_id=2eaea1e42a35fcb741bc226f4c6a81bf&source=email-a-letter-from-prison-from-prof-imad-barghouthi-3&email_referrer=email_912477&email_subject=an-update-on-prof-imad-barghouthi
Breaking
News: Prominent Palestinian Astrophysicist set to administrative detention!
September 4, 2020
------------------------------

Our colleague Dr. Imad Barghouthi, Professor of Physics at Al-Quds
University, who was scheduled to be released on bail within 48 hours, by an
order of an Israeli military commander in the West Bank will remain under
administrative detention until November 15th.

Prof. Barghouthi was first arrested on July 16th
<http://www.scientists4palestine.com/freedom-for-imad-barghouthi/> at an
Israeli check-point, then held without charges for over two weeks and then
finally charged in relation to his Facebook activity. After thousands of
scholars worldwide
<http://www.scientists4palestine.com/sign-the-petition-for-the-liberation-of-prof-imad-barghouthi/>
demanded
Prof. Barghouthi to be freed from prison
<https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/demand-an-end-to-the-harassment-of-palestinian-scientists-and-academics-and-an-immediate-release-of-prof-imad-barghouthi/>,
his lawyer successfully argued for his release on bail which on September
2nd was granted by the judge on his case. But just when our hopes rose that
Prof. Barghouthi could be freed, reunited with his family and restart his
activity as a researcher and mentor of his many students, an Israeli
military order was used to override the decision of the judge, indefinitely
continuing the unlawful imprisonment of Prof. Barghouthi.

Administrative detention, a procedure employed by Israeli authorities
<https://www.hrw.org/report/2019/12/17/born-without-civil-rights/israels-use-draconian-military-orders-repress>
to jail indefinitely without trial and without charges and used routinely
against Palestinian
<https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/MDE15/026/2012/en/>, has been
condemned by the UN (see for example paragraph 80 of document
A/HRC/28/80/Add.1
<https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G14/251/48/PDF/G1425148.pdf?OpenElement>)
and is in direct violation of article 14 of the International Covenant on
Civil and Political Rights
<https://www.ohchr.org/en/professionalinterest/pages/ccpr.aspx>.

As concerned scientists, we condemn the arbitrary and unlawful
administrative detention of professor Imad Barghouthi. This violation of
international law and basic human rights is an attack on Prof. Barghouthi
and his family, as well as his students and the scientific community
everywhere in the world. We therefore demand that the judge rejects the
military order and releases Prof. Imad immediately.