[Pnews] Rise in Power: San Quentin Demonstration and Vigil Sunday Sept 13, 5:30p

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 4 12:13:40 EDT 2020

[image: Attica Vigil Poster..jpg]

Greetings friends,

On September 13, 1971 the largest prison uprising
<https://vimeo.com/16298370> in U..S. history, which was begun on September
9, 1971 at Attica prison, was brutally suppressed.  33 prisoners and 10
correctional officers were killed in the assault by New York state police
ordered by Governor Rockefeller. An important catalyst for the Attica
uprising was George Jackson's assassination <https://vimeo.com/16298370> by
prison guards which happened at San Quentin, three weeks before on August
21, 1971. Learn more at the Attica Means Fight Back panel
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1483433411858759/> September 8th.

*On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 5:30 pm* we will hold a demonstration and
vigil at San Quentin State Prison linking the 1971 state murders at San
Quentin and  Attica with the criminal negligence that has led to 26 deaths
at San Quentin during the COVID pandemic, including twelve death row
prisoners. Please find the Facebook event here
<https://www.facebook.com/events/365219788206264/>. We will honor all the
incarcerated lives lost across California and the United States due to the
state's ruthless disregard for Black, Brown, Indigenous and all
incarcerated people.  We will call on Governor Newsom, the CDCr and all
state officials to immediately implement a policy of mass release in order
to stop the needless deaths.

Sadly, the demands
<https://libcom.org/blog/attica-prison-liberation-faction-manifesto-demands-1971-06012012>
made by incarcerated people in the 1970s remain fundamentally the same in
2020, 49 long years later: recognize the dignity and human rights of all
people in prison! *We therefore **demand that the California Department of
Corrections and rehabilitation (CDCr) and Governor Gavin Newsom grant mass
releases and rehousing now in order to save the lives of the human beings
inside. Find our complete list of demands *here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_E61ZzfYma0H13tBTeASQdjL4Or_0wE/view>.

This event is being organized by No Justice Under Capitalism
<https://www.instagram.com/nojusticeundercapitalism/>, California Coalition
for Women Prisoners (CCWP) <https://womenprisoners.org/> and California
Prison Focus <http://newest.prisons.org/> and is part of a *national month
of **actions <https://endlifeimprisonment.org/news-events/attica/>* marking
the Attica uprising and demanding decarceration now. Check out what is
happening
around the country to Decarcerate Now!
<https://endlifeimprisonment.org/news-events/attica/>

Will you support this event? Please let us know if you can :
<https://endlifeimprisonment.org/news-events/attica/>

   1.

   Attend this event
   2.

   Spread the word by sharing the flyer (attached) to your social media and
   mailing lists

In Solidarity,
Diana Block
<diana at womenprisoners.org>