[Pnews] Attica Means Fight Back: Cultivating Resistance Then & Now - Tuesday, September 8th

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 3 11:06:33 EDT 2020

Join us for a panel discussion & video commemorating the Attica
rebellion and resistance today.

Facebook Event Here!
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1483433411858759/?utm_source=Unknown+List&utm_campaign=df0eb94be8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_28_01_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-df0eb94be8->

*Attica Means Fight Back!
Cultivating Resistance Then & Now:*
Panel Discussion & Video
*Tuesday, September 8th | 5:00-7:00PM PST

Link to Register: bit.ly/AtticaFightBack <http://bit.ly/AtticaFightBack>*
Event will be Facebook livestreamed!
<https://www.facebook.com/freedomarchives/?utm_source=Unknown+List&utm_campaign=df0eb94be8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_28_01_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-df0eb94be8->
*You are welcome to register, but as we approach our capacity limit we
recommend you plan to watch the event via FB livestream on the page of
Freedom Archives.
<https://www.facebook.com/freedomarchives/?utm_source=Unknown+List&utm_campaign=df0eb94be8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_28_01_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-df0eb94be8->

This event is part of a national month of actions marking the Attica
uprising and demanding decarceration now!
https://endlifeimprisonment.org/news-events
<https://endlifeimprisonment.org/news-events?utm_source=Unknown+List&utm_campaign=df0eb94be8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_28_01_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-df0eb94be8->
September 9-13, 2020 marks the 49th anniversary of the Attica Prison
Rebellion. In 1971, united around demands for better healthcare,
education and against unrestrained violence by the state, over 1200
incarcerated people of all races rebelled, took hostages and occupied
parts of Attica Prison. For four days, prisoners worked collectively to
negotiate the end of the inhumane conditions at the prison. An invasion
by the New York State Police Troopers ordered by Governor Rockefeller
resulted in the deaths of 43 people - 33 prisoners and 10 correctional
officers. 49 years later, Attica serves as a rallying cry for those
working for self determination inside of prison walls, an essential
lesson in state violence and an enduring symbol of resistance and unity.

Today the conditions in U.S. prisons are more barbaric than in 1971 with
massive overcrowding, extreme sentencing, gendered violence, and a
health care crisis made much worse by the COVID pandemic. The lessons of
Attica are as important as ever. Join The California Coalition for Women
Prisoners and the Freedom Archives as we host a panel discussing the
historical legacy of the Attica Prison Rebellion, sustaining resistance
behind bars and how Attica can inform the ways we fight back!

*Featured Panelists:*

• *Romarilyn Ralston* — Lead Policy Analyst, formerly incarcerated,
California Coalition for Women Prisoners
• *Paul Redd* — Formerly incarcerated organizer, one of the leaders of
the historic CA prison hunger strikes
• *Michael Deutsch* — One of the main lawyers for the Attica prisoners
following the 1971 uprising

/*Moderated by Nathaniel Moore of Freedom Archives/