[Pnews] Eric King - Voices from Solitary: Flipping the Script

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Oct 3 20:52:30 EDT 2020

https://solitarywatch.org/2020/09/30/voices-from-solitary-flipping-the-script/

VOICES FROM SOLITARY: FLIPPING THE SCRIPT

September 30, 2020

-------------------------

_Eric King describes himself as a 33-year-old vegan anarchist political
prisoner and poet who was arrested and charged with an attempted
firebombing of a Congressperson's office in Kansas City, Missouri, in
September 2014. King was charged with throwing a hammer through a window
of the building, followed by two lit Molotov cocktails. The criminal
complaint states that both incendiary devices failed to ignite. King was
identified as a suspect by local police because he had previously come
under suspicion for anti-government and anti-police graffiti. After
accepting a non-cooperating plea agreement, King was sentenced to ten
years in June 2016. His release date is October 2023. He has served his
time in various facilities of the federal Bureau of Prisons, or BOP._

_King is currently facing one count of assaulting a government official
for an incident that occurred in August 2018 at the Federal Correctional
Institution (FCI) Florence. According to King's account, he was taken
into a mop closet, out of sight of prison cameras, and beaten up by a
corrections officer. The officer then said that King had assaulted him.
King has been housed in a segregation cell at FCI Englewood since August
2019, fighting this charge. Overall, King has spent about three years in
solitary confinement. He now faces a maximum of 20 additional years in
prison. Read more about Eric King here: supportericking.org [1]. _

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

My toilet is right next to my cellmate's face, not hyperbolically, it is
literally three inches from where he lays his head. I am in the FCI
Englewood Secure Housing Unit (SHU)--the oddest SHU in the Bureau
surely. In this segregation unit, you will get inmates from the Low
[security prison], pre-trial people and folks like myself and my cellie
who are on writ [having a court case] from other penitentiaries. This
oddball combo makes no sense and causes a localized class system, all a
part of the psych-ops of this odd rust bucket of a prison.

On August 17, 2017, I was taken into a mop closet by _Super Patriot_
Lieutenant. I have been in solitary ever since, 19 months and counting.
I learned how bad it can get, discovering new ways they can torture you;
mentally and physically. Whether being choked while being held in
four-point restraints for seven hours, being held in a cell for four
days without a functional toilet filled with someone else's feces, I
have seen their brutality and am stronger for it. I hope.

The last SHU I was in before the indictment hit was the penitentiary in
Virginia: USP Lee. There is no oversight at these joints. At USP Lee,
you have nothing coming. NOTHING. You cannot receive or buy magazines,
newspapers, books, radios, coffee, hygiene or pens. You can buy a rubber
pencil which shows up horribly on all papers. You are completely
isolated, which in my case included a phone ban from a previous SHU and
visiting restrictions that were never explained to me. This is a SHU
that holds 200 and only had 150 mattresses, many of which have no
covering and are just urine-reeking slabs of foam. If you don't stand
for count, they take your mattress as punishment. Skip standing a second
time and they will take you out and replace your clothes with 'paper
clothes': see-through orange shirt and see-through bikini bottoms. You
will be marched up and down the tier while the guard calls you 'faggot'
and spineless 'inmates' join in with cat calls and whistles. You will
stand next time. If you refuse the new wardrobe, you will get beaten and
charged with assaulting staff. This is the BOP's SHU. Resistance is not
tolerated and no one will hear you scream. No one is listening.

I was told I would be returning to Colorado on August 10, after a short
and glorious four-day holdover at Grady County Jail. The US Marshals
returned me to the FCI Englewood SHU where I would learn I was now
facing 20 more years for the Lieutenant mop closet incident from over a
year ago. They are charging me for my own attack: classic BOP.

I have been in this SHU ever since, seven months as of March 2020.
Facing and fighting BOP charges while being held at a BOP facility, in
segregation, to ensure any defense will be interrupted and complicated.
Let me tell you about my physical existence. It is not pretty. The cells
here are the smallest I have ever experienced. I am not certain they
could literally get any smaller. 6 x 8 feet--double bunked. These cells
were built for troubled children in the 1930s. This is not supposed to
be a long term segregation unit, and it only becomes such for people
like myself. Then it gets really overwhelming and mentally exhausting.
That's the Bureau's game plan; shatter spirit, disrupt, dissent, blame
you for the horrors of this SHU, then expect lapdog loyalty when they
give out small comforts.

At 6 am sharp, the four-foot-long fluorescent light comes on and will
stay on until evening.  This light is about two feet from my face and
could make even the most level headed person homicidal. Breakfast is
brought around 6:15 am, hot oatmeal and a weird cramp-inducing cake,
seven days a week. It is at breakfast where you can sign up for your
government approved one hour of 'outside' recreation or 'rec'. Rec is
basically the same everywhere: one hour of standing in a dog kennel. At
Englewood, there is a chain-linked yard so you can at least see the sky
and pretend you are hearing birds singing. Going out to rec can be a
curse also; we only get showers on Monday, Wednesday and Friday on my
range. If you slip up and work up a sweat, you will be annoying your
cellie and birding bathing [cleaning yourself at your sink].

For some ungodly reason, we are not allowed to buy decent soap,
toothpaste, body wash, shampoo or deodorant. We used to have that right
and after they announced the cancellation of hygiene, coffee and radios
from canteen, my current cellie organized a SHU-wide cell barricade, to
force them to come and take our stuff. We were not handing away our only
comforts. The fear of the administration and high level of boot-licking
is incredibly real. People will stab their neighbor over a stamp but
won't lift a pinky for their own dignity against the suits and ties. The
barricades resulted in a lot of pepper spray balls and weeks in paper
clothing. We stood up though, and they remember that, often acting more
respectful.

My SHU existence until recently has been overwhelmingly lonely. Starting
in November 2018, the gang and terrorism people at USP Leavenworth
permanently banned me from the phone after an anarchist website posted
updates on my earlier beating. That ban and a visiting ban followed me
here to FCI Englewood and stuck. Other SHU prisoners do not have it much
better with only one phone call, 15 minute tops, a month. If your loved
one accidentally disconnects, tough. After the barricade, I organized a
three-person hunger strike to get visit privileges back. Eighteen missed
meals later and a lot of pressure from my legal team, non-contact one
hour per week visits were restored. On December 14, I got to see my wife
for the first time in 16 months. Plexiglass or not, it was one of the
best days of my life.

This is a very violent SHU but not in the typical ways. In most SHUs,
the violence stems from staff placing known enemies together, then
loving the show when hell breaks loose. I experienced that first hand at
FCI Florence. They sure love a good battle. Here though, it is ALL
psychological and a lot of people--myself included for a time--had a
very hard time handling that. On every Tuesday, the admin (Warden,
Assistant Warden, Captain, etc.) will do their walk throughs along with
S.I.S. (investigation goons) and your unit team (counselor and such,
staff that handle your legal visits and calls, normal visits,
transfers). This is your ONLY chance to try and either learn about your
situation, try to get out or get grievance forms. In the Bureau of
Prisons, our only legal protection against overzealous admins, is the
grievance process. You must file these forms to resolve an issue before
you initiate litigation. The only person who can give or receive them
from you is your counselor.

They have mastered this routine to ensure prisoners in the SHU stay
confused, angry, on edge or just broken and give up. You will hear
people begging S.I.S. or the Warden to get out, and they being experts,
will spin you so delicately that you really believe they will help you.
Next week, same thing. Next week, still more of the same. At this point,
you are shouting and losing it and they will tell you: "_You can't act
this way if you want me to help you,"_ flipping the script. Maybe you
realize the games, so you ask your counselor for a BP-8 grievance form.
Well, don't you know he is all out but he'll be back in a day or two…You
will not see him for weeks! Finally, you see him and get a BP-8 but then
the next week, he loses the reply. Start over…It is maddening beyond
words until you check their game. When you trash the tier or scream,
they love it because they are in control. They have got you in this sick
web where you start seeking their approval, when all along you never got
your issues close to being resolved. But you feel good because they
"_will look into it_"…

Another way that plays out is with the mail. In the SHU, you are at
their mercy for mail call. There is nothing you can do when you know you
have letters. They shamelessly gaslight you with "_Sorry, nothing for
you. Sure they sent it?_" I have been lucky to always get pretty solid
mail days when they decide to deliver it. Last month, after weeks of
complaining to the SHU Lieutenant about missing mail, trying to convince
her S.I.S. is doing too much, the Lt. and Captain went and grabbed a big
crate filled with letters and months old magazines from S.I.S. (who
claimed they 'overlooked' it).

If you are any sort of activist, S.I.S. will read and inspect every
letter. In theory, they still have to follow guidelines and get it to
you within 48 hours. This has never happened during my entire sentence.
Even with the Captain forcing S.I.S. to hand deliver my mail, my most
current letter was eight days old. Mail from my wife and friends will
take 10-15 days at least. Isolation as a tactic, cutting you off from
the world, making you feel forgotten and unloved and then showing up
with a stack of letters saying "_See, we aren't holding it_" result in
some people thanking them and groveling. I mark the days and let my
lawyers do the fighting for me but they will never get a '_thanks,
boss_' from me!

I have been imprisoned 69 months--38 of those months have been in
solitary (nearly three years of my life), with no let up in sight until
after trial in August. I have seen all the horrors you pray never to
see: suicides, homicides, brutal beatings, hunger and water strikes,
flash grenades and bear mace foam. I have seen floods, fires and
prisoners get dropped on their skulls without care or concern. I have
seen happy relationships torn to shreds by the forced isolation; seen
drugs turn people out of their heads. Yet there are also victories
sprinkled in little pockets of life where convicts show true heart and
self determination. People standing up even when their fellow prisoners
back down. Once you have faced their worst and survived, you have won,
they have to work with you now because they cannot step on you. We hold
tier poetry readings, keep our family alive with stories, have firm
conversations about our worth and power, reinstilling what the system
tries to take.

New cats come and go weekly, my cellie and I try to prepare them, get
their minds ready for the lies and the dull days and boring nights. I
always share magazines and stamps to help people get on their feet and
remove the desperation and panic. To let them know they are not alone
and give space to express themselves, either with moaning, bravado,
singing, whatever. The prison staff wants us bickering and fighting with
each other--classic divide and conquer. We are not having it. I won't
allow it.

Links:
------
[1] http://supportericking.org/