[Pnews] NATO 3: Jay Chase is finally free!!!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Nov 7 12:58:57 EST 2020

Via Daniel McGowan

/I send out updates and emails about things i work on from time to time.
If this is not your cup of tea, no worries, just let me know and i'll
take you off the list. thanks, daniel/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jay-chase-of-the-nato3-is-free
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/jay-chase-of-the-nato3-is-free>

I am happy to report that Jared (Jay) Chase has finally been released
from prison after eight+ hard years. Jay was one of the NATO 3, arrested
in 2012 in Chicago, Illinois in an entrapment scheme organized by the
Chicago police department.

This was the first time the state of Illinois charged people with
conspiracy to commit terrorism, and it was simply for protesting NATO
<https://truthout.org/articles/revealed-the-story-behind-the-nato-3-domestic-terrorism-arrests/>.
Thanks to many awesome people on their legal team, and broader community
support, they were found not guilty on all terrorism related charges Jay
and his two codefendants were convicted on one felony. Jay was sentenced
to the longest time
<https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2014-04-25-chi-sentencing-today-for-nato-3-prosecutors-seeking-14year-terms-20140425-story.html>,
8 years.

This sentence was beyond terrible but especially awful because Jay Chase
has Huntington's disease.
<https://hdsa.org/what-is-hd/overview-of-huntingtons-disease/#:~:text=Is%20Huntington's%20Disease%3F-,Huntington's%20disease%20(HD)%20is%20a%20fatal%20genetic%20disorder%20that%20causes,years%20and%20has%20no%20cure.>
He was diagnosed with it back in 2013 and the disease has been
progressing since then. Huntington's is a terminal disease that affects
his motor skills and cognitive ability.

Jay is out, but he has a long fight ahead of him with this disease.
There is no cure for Huntington's but there is treatment that can slow
symptoms and prolong life. Jay did not receive proper health care in
Illinois state prisons but we want to get him proper care now that he is
free.

*_Donations will be used to:_*
1) get Jay set up with basic necessities people need,
2) medical care, and
3) housing.

Personally, I got involved in this case about 2015 when I noticed no one
had heard from Jay in a bit. I watched the case from a distance but was
dealing with getting out of prison and adjusting to life outside myself
in the early part of the case. Jay has had a hard road and its been
tough trying to figure out how to support him as the terminal disease he
has has affected him so badly. On a positive note, I know most of my
Chicago friends due to my trying to support Jay in 2015.