[Pnews] 50 years ago a bomb killed a policeman and sent two innocent Black men to prison for life

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 17 11:34:06 EDT 2020

Fifty years ago an Omaha bombing that killed a policeman and divided the
city still echoes
Michael Richardson - August 17, 2020
[image: Screenshot (343)]Patrolman Larry Minard and the vacant house where
he was murdered on August 17, 1970 (credits: Omaha Police Department)

On August 17, 1970, at 2:07 a.m., Omaha police received a 911 emergency
telephone call from a male who spoke in a deep gravely voice that a woman
was screaming at 2867 Ohio Street, a vacant house. Instead of a screaming
woman, the eight officers who converged on Ohio Street only found an empty
house and a suitcase inside the front doorway.

Patrolman Larry Minard
bent over to examine the suitcase when a tremendous, blinding flash and
deafening blast shook the silent neighborhood and ripped through the walls
of the vacant house. The officers in the kitchen broke down the back door
in the darkness to escape choking dust and smoke.

Patrolman James Toay was the first to reach Minard. “At first I thought it
was a woman because the legs were uncovered. When I looked closer and saw
his gunbelt I knew it was a policeman….and saw that half his face was gone
and that there was nothing I could do for him.”

Both of Minard’s boots were blown off his feet, one found on the front
porch and the other eight feet across the living room. The rescue squad
soon arrived, followed by fire trucks and more police cars as sirens
screamed in the stillness of the early morning.

Larry Minard had only been on duty since midnight after telling his wife
Karen not to worry before he left home. Within minutes of the explosion,
police arrived at the Minard residence to deliver the tragic news, but the
new widow already had been awakened by Larry’s police scanner, which was
blaring reports about an officer down.

Approximately an hour after the Omaha bombing a powerful blast shattered
windows and caused extensive damage at the Minneapolis federal building.
Agents of the Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco Division in Minnesota took over
the investigation. Radicals were suspected but no arrests were ever made.
The crime remains unsolved.
Dawn broke over the city to an overcast drizzle on a gray Monday morning.
The weather matched the mood in the stunned, saddened city. First light
brought the start of what would be a day-long procession of motorists. A
crowd of neighborhood onlookers was also on hand much of the day as people
spoke in hushed tones and muted voices.

Leads and tips started flowing in to Central Headquarters as the city woke
up and the investigation intensified. A call was made to FBI headquarters
from the Omaha office at 7:45 a.m. Assistant Director Charles Brennan was
informed by memorandum about the call concerning the death of a policeman.
“Omaha Office offered assistance in covering out-of-state leads and FBI
Laboratory facilities offered. Omaha advised it had notified military and
Secret Service, was following closely, and alerted its racial informants in
pursuit of investigation.”

Brennan was also assured, “Pertinent parts will be included in teletype
summary to the White House, Vice President, Attorney General, military and
Secret Service.”

At police Central Headquarters, a hastily convened meeting of a
multi-agency task force called Domino was called to order. Principals
present were agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Division, detectives from the Douglas County
Sheriff’s office and the Omaha Police Department. Governor Norbert Tiemann
also ordered two Nebraska State Patrol troopers to work the case.

Retired ATF agent James Moore, of Kansas City, said those present were in
agreement that the method and target pointed to extremists. Black Panthers
and Weather Underground were both discussed but the “Negro voice” on the
911 recording suggested Black Panthers. Moore said one of the FBI agents
told the group that a key informer reported that two white males were
observed running from the scene shortly before the blast.”

Moore believed the tip may have been a ruse by the FBI to throw off ATF
agents competing to crack the case. The longstanding rivalry between the
two federal police agencies was intense and was part of a nation-wide turf
battle over jurisdiction of firearm and explosives crimes.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Paul Young wasted no time in privately talking
to Glen Gates, who was in charge of the police while Chief Richard Anderson
was out of town. According to a confidential FBI memorandum, Young and
Gates discussed a piece of crucial evidence, the recorded voice of the
anonymous caller captured by the 911 system. The search for truth was over.

Young set in motion a conspiracy to implicate the leadership of the
National Committee to Combat Fascism in the bombing. Young wrote to J.
Edgar Hoover. “Enclosed for the Laboratory is one copy of a tape recording
obtained from the Omaha Police Department.”

“Deputy Chief [Gates] inquired into the possibility of voice analysis of
the individual making the call by the FBI Laboratory. He was advised the
matter would be considered and that if such analysis were made and if
subsequent voice patterns were transmitted for comparison, such analysis
would have to be strictly informal, as the FBI could not provide any
testimony in the matter; also, only an oral report of the results of such
examination would be made to the Police Department. [Gates] stated he
understood these terms and stated the Police Department would be extremely
appreciative of any assistance in this matter by the FBI and would not
embarrass the FBI at a later date, but would use such information for lead
purposes only.”

“It should be noted that the police community is extremely upset over this
apparent racially motivated, vicious and unnecessary murder. In slightly
over three months this division has experienced more than ten bombings,
probably all but a few of them being racially motivated. Of these bombings,
four were directed at police facilities with extensive damage.”

“Any assistance rendered along the lines mentioned above would greatly
enhance the prestige of the FBI among law enforcement representatives in
this area, and I thus strongly recommend that the request be favorably

“In view of the foregoing, it is requested that the FBI Laboratory examine
enclosed tape recording and make an appropriate voice print to be retained
for comparison against other tape recordings of suspects to be submitted at
a later date.”

In the afternoon, after evidence started arriving at Central Headquarters,
reporters were barred from the fourth floor squad room where they usually
mingled with police. On the streets, a police sweep to obtain information
began as cruisers combed the Near North Side stopping and questioning

Detective Jack Swanson began working on a suspect list of thirty-eight
members or associates of the National Committee to Combat Fascism, an
affiliate chapter of the Black Panther Party.

Early evening, a member of the Nebraska Game Commission, M. M. Muncie,
visited Central Headquarters with a tip. Swanson talked to the game
commissioner and wrote a report. The report was typical of calls pouring
in, calls by whites about suspicious-looking blacks. Muncie had spotted a
car in traffic. “He says that the parties were having a very animated
conversation, and look suspicious to him.”

Governor Norbert Tiemann expressed the anguish of many. “I am
outraged….These men went to answer a call for help only to find a trap set
for their destruction. This is undoubtedly the lowest and vilest act

Twenty-five persons were arrested at different locations on the Near North
Side on Monday night on a variety of minor charges including suspicion of
loitering, drinking on a public street, disorderly conduct or obstructing
the administration of law. Twenty-two of those arrested were men. Three
were women and all were black.

In April 1971, two Black Panther leaders, Edward Poindexter
and David Rice
(later Wopashitwe Mondo Eyen we Langa), were convicted following a
marred by conflicting police testimony, withheld laboratory evidence by the
FBI, and planted dynamite evidence. Sentenced to life without parole, Mondo
died at the Nebraska State Penitentiary in March 2016 while serving what he
described as a “debt I do not owe.” Ed Poindexter remains imprisoned in
maximum security, a half-century after the bombing, where he maintains his
innocence. Seventy-five years old and in poor health, Poindexter is at risk
for the Covid-19 virus which is sweeping America’s prisons.

Over the long years multiple disclosures, many from the Freedom of
Information Act, have shredded the prosecution’s case. However, Nebraska
courts have stubbornly refused to fully consider the federal manipulation
of the murder investigation and trial despite the documentation of a law
enforcement conspiracy  code-named COINTELPRO
<https://thereader.com/news/the-fbi-and-omahas-black-panthers> to frame the
two Panther leaders.

Several weeks ago, a prayer service in Omaha
was held by ten ministers for racial healing. Prayers were made for both
the families of Larry Minard and Ed Poindexter. Omaha continues to have a
racial divide on the fiftieth anniversary of that sad day in 1970.
Poindexter has made a request for commutation of sentence. The Board of
Pardons will be asked
to heal the community wounds of the past by providing some measure of
justice long denied.

*This article is excerpted from *FRAMED: J. Edgar Hoover, COINTELPRO & the
Omaha Two story
,* in print edition at *Amazon
and in *ebook
Portions of the book may be read free online at *NorthOmahaHistory.com
*The book is also available to patrons of the Omaha Public Library.*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://freedomarchives.org/pipermail/ppnews_freedomarchives.org/attachments/20200817/1caab839/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the PPnews mailing list