[Pnews] Attorney Kevin Sharp, on the Case of Leonard Peltier

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 5 13:53:25 EDT 2020

https://crimestory.com/2020/08/03/interview-kevin-sharp-on-the-case-of-leonard-peltier/
<https://crimestory.com/2020/08/03/interview-kevin-sharp-on-the-case-of-leonard-peltier/>

  Interview: Kevin Sharp, on the Case of Leonard Peltier

August 3, 2020

*The Case of Leonard Peltier: An Interview with Kevin Sharp*

On June 26, 1975, FBI agents Jack Coler and Ron Williams died in a
shootout on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. The man
who has spent the last 44 years in prison for aiding and abetting their
murders is now 75-year-old Leonard Peltier, a member of the American
Indian Movement <http://www.aimovement.org/>, AIM, which seeks to
address systemic racism and police brutality towards Native Americans.
Former U.S. District Judge Kevin Sharp, who now represents Peltier, says
that not only is Peltier innocent, he’s the longest serving political
prisoner in American history.

*Kevin Sharp*

My name is Kevin Sharp. I am practicing law in Nashville, Tennessee. I
was, for six years, a Federal District Court judge, which is the trial
level judge in the federal system. I was appointed by President Obama,
unanimously confirmed by a Republican controlled Senate and I took the
bench in May of 2011. I practiced law before that, in a small plaintiffs
firm that I had started. Prior to doing that, I had worked for Congress
as a lawyer. I wanted to go to law school while I was serving in the
Navy, and I eventually was nominated and appointed to the federal bench.
I think I was a pretty good judge. I still hear from lawyers who say,
“We wish you were back.” I was “a lawyer’s judge.”

*Amanda Knox*

What does that mean?

*Kevin Sharp*

That one: it was about people. And that two: lawyers have a really hard
job, and the last thing they need is a judge just riding them because
they can. There’s a condition, I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of
this, it’s called black robe fever. And it happens to people who are
otherwise nice people before they take the bench, and then they put on a
black robe and all of a sudden they think they are gods. And they begin
to treat others differently.

*Amanda Knox*

Wow, that’s great.

*Kevin Sharp*

I never got that. And one of the reasons for that was that the job was
never about me. It was always about the position. And it becomes part of
the reason that I end up stepping down from that job. There’s a judge
who was here in Nashville, a guy named Todd Campbell. He’s no longer on
the bench, but Todd told me that one of the hardest things you’re going
to have to do, the law is not difficult, but it’s going to be the most
difficult thing you do, and that’s the criminal side, because the rest
of it generally is about money. The criminal side is about people’s
liberty. And that’s where you’ve got to be careful. Well, one of the
things that drove me crazy were mandatory minimums. You know, mandatory
10 and 15 year sentences and I’m thinking, “This is insane. Why are we
doing this? This is a 15 month sentence, not a 15 year sentence.” And
then I eventually had to sentence three guys to life in prison for
nonviolent drug offenses. Shortly after that, I stepped down and came
back into private practice. I joined Sanford Heisler. It’s now Sanford
Heisler Sharp. This firm was great. Gave me a platform. Said, “Whatever
it is that you think is important, we think is important.” It’s a civil
rights firm. So that’s how I got here. With respect to Leonard though, I
am 57. So in 1975, I’m 12. At that time, there were only three
television stations ― four if you count public broadcasting. It was all
the same. And at night, everybody would sit down, you get your TV tray
and you sit in front of the TV and you listen to the news. So I had a
vague recollection of this happening, but not much, because the ‘70s
were a fairly violent time. You had Munich, Patty Hearst. You had way
too many airplane hijackings. You got Vietnam body counts. It just
seemed to be a very violent time. And it all just kind of ran together
for a 12-year-old kid, particularly in June of ’75, when school’s out
and I’m more worried about baseball practice, but when I stepped down, I
had done an interview with the Tennessean, our local newspaper, about
the case with Chris Young and his two defendants I had to send to life
in prison, and how unjust I thought that was. Well, that article comes
out and I start getting lots of letters. One day, I get this big packet
in the mail. And I remember saying to the person who had picked up the
mail that day, she says, “Kevin, here’s something else for you.” And I
could tell that it fit into that category. And usually what I did was I
would just let them kind of pile up for the week, and we’d get to them
on Thursday or Friday, just kind of go through them at once. Otherwise,
they consumed my day. And I remember telling her to just throw it in the
pile, and then I turned around, and came back and go, “You know what,
why don’t you give me that one?” It was a big, yellow, thick envelope. I
was like, “I’ll take that one.” It just felt different. I took it in my
office and I opened it up. And it was this Leonard Peltier story. And
again, I had this vague recollection of this stuff happening. I don’t
know if what I was remembering was the Pine Ridge shooting or the
Wounded Knee siege. I was familiar with the AIM takeover at Alcatraz.
And I just start reading this thing and my day is gone, because I sat
there the whole day reading transcripts, newspaper clippings, looking at
photographs, reading Civil Rights Commission reports, portions of the
Church Committee, and I am sucked into this thing. And I remember
thinking, “This can’t be true.” This is not the America that I served in
the Navy. We weren’t the bad guys, but I’m looking through here
thinking, “I think we may be the bad guys here.” It was just rabbit
holes everywhere. It makes me a little bit nauseous as I’m reading it. I
mean, you hear the stories, but they’re just stories. This wasn’t a
story. These were people’s lives and liberty. The FBI and the U.S.
Attorney and the federal judges, their responsibility is to make sure
that justice is served, not just getting convictions. That’s not what I
see in this file. And it’s sickening. And so I call, there was a lawyer
in Texas who sent it to me, and he knew Leonard and said, “Leonard would
like you to take up his case.” We were put in touch with each other, I
met Leonard, and we spent a lot of time talking about his case. In
addition to reading everything, I just wanted to look at him, talk to
him, and hear the story from him looking in his eyes. Not that it really
mattered to me. I was not focused on who did what. What was more
important to me at the time were the constitutional violations. I’m
thinking, “I don’t know if he did it, but here’s what I do know: nobody
knows if he did it, because look at the mess the FBI and the U.S.
Attorney created trying to pin this on him.” They didn’t care about the
Constitution. They didn’t care about anybody’s rights. What they wanted
was to convict somebody for a wrong that they perceived had been done to
them―the shooting of these two agents. That’s what they cared about, the
rest of it be damned. And that, to me, was infuriating and sickening. I
spent the next year going through this. What I’ve found through that
process is I don’t think he did it. The evidence isn’t there. They don’t
know who did it. There was an interview with James Reynolds, the U.S.
Attorney on this case. I saw a Q&A with him in a magazine where the
reporter said, “Did you pick the wrong man?” And he says, “I don’t
know.” I’m thinking, “What the hell? You don’t know? Well, he’s got two
life sentences. If you don’t know, who knows? It’s your job to know
before you send someone to prison for life.” And they don’t know. They
all admit they don’t know. Matter of fact, Glenn Crooks, who is the lead
prosecutor, admitted to the Court of Appeals, “We don’t know who shot
the agents and what participation Mr. Peltier had, if any. And there’s
no evidence that he had any role in this except that he was there.” Just
to back up a little bit on the story, it’s an odd sequence of events on
why these two agents went onto the reservation to serve a warrant to
begin with. What happened? There’s agents Coler and Williams. During the
time between Wounded Knee siege in 1903 and this shootout in 1975, there
is a buildup of federal law enforcement in and around the Pine Ridge
Indian Reservation. It doesn’t make much sense. They’ve gone from agents
you could count on one hand to dozens and dozens of agents in the area.
The FBI was funding and providing intelligence and ammunition to a group
of private militia, who were also Natives, run by a guy named Dick
Wilson, called the GOON squad, the Guardians of the Oglala Nation. They
were running business deals with the federal government against the
wishes of the traditional Indians. So you had this powder keg in and
around Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. And various members of AIM, the
American Indian Movement, had been asked to come in, because over the
period between 1973 and 1975, there have been 60 murders. All of these
people who had been murdered are either part of the traditional Indian
group, were members of AIM or supportive of AIM.

*Amanda Knox*

That’s so scary.

*Kevin Sharp*

Right, and they are scared. They’re afraid. People are being murdered
and nobody is investigating. You have all these agents, they are not
investigating a damn thing. So they’ve asked AIM to come in, because
somebody has got to help them protect their families, protect their
lands, protect their liberties. That’s why AIM is on the Pine Ridge
Reservation to begin with. You’ve got a powder keg on your hands.
There’s a guy named Jimmy Eagle who lives in the area, and Jimmy Eagle
is wanted. One night he’s with some of his buddies, a couple of
Caucasian ranch hands, a couple of his native friends, they’re all
drinking together, they get into a fight, Jimmy Eagle steals one of the
guy’s cowboy boots.

*Amanda Knox*

OK, so, boys being boys?

*Kevin Sharp*

Yep. That will get you a federal warrant in that area. So Williams and
Coler radio in that they have spotted a red pickup truck that fits the
description of Jimmy Eagle’s pickup truck, and they’re going to go ahead
and serve that warrant and pick him up for these boots.

*Amanda Knox*

For these boots.

*Kevin Sharp*

Yep.

*Amanda Knox*

OK.

*Kevin Sharp*

And so they follow him onto the ―

*Amanda Knox*

FBI agents for some boots. OK.

*Kevin Sharp*

This thing just smells. It smells. But setting all this aside, they
radio and the radio transmissions aren’t recorded, they’re transcribed.
What the transcripts tell you is they see the truck, “Looks like Jimmy
Eagle’s. We’re going to go pick him up.” They drive onto the Pine Ridge
Reservation. At the top of this hill there’s the Jumping Bull compound,
where the AIM members, they’re living out there in tents and makeshift
shelters up on the ridge. The pickup truck stops about 100 yards away
down the bottom. And then a shootout starts. Up at the top of this hill
is Leonard Peltier, Bob Robideau, and Dino Butler, the three guys who
will eventually be charged with killing these agents. But at the bottom
of this hill, a shootout begins. And there’s radio transmission that’s
going back and forth. Coler and Williams are radioing in that they’re in
trouble, they need help. Within a really short period of time this place
is surrounded with federal agents. There’s a militia up there. There are
BIA agents. There’s FBI, federal marshals. It’s like, “You got 100
people up there. How did you do this so quickly with two guys who were
just following a pickup truck to arrest the guy for a pair of boots?”
Setting that aside, that’s how this thing gets out of hand. But this
shootout is happening and these two agents are killed. As other agents
are coming to the property to help back up Coler and Williams, at least
two of them pass a red pickup truck leaving the property. Now, I’m no
FBI agent, but somebody follow the damn pickup truck! You know what
you’re doing. You know what’s happened. You know they were following a
red pickup truck. You know there’s a shootout, and you pass a red pickup
truck. How about turn around and go find the pickup truck? But they
don’t. They go and engage in this firefight. The issue becomes, “Who
shot the agents?” The government’s theory was that it was these three
guys. They came down the hill and at point blank range killed these two
agents. There’s no evidence that that happened. After the shootout, the
AIM members escape this area. Once the law enforcement sees that they’ve
gotten away, there’s nobody shooting back at them, they go into the
Jumping Bull compound and they destroy the place. They are mad. They go
into houses and start shooting up family photos. It seems like some kind
of Vietnam movie, where the company goes in after the Vietcong have left
and set the village on fire. They tear the place up, but now they’ve
escaped. They eventually catch Butler and Robideau. They try to get
other Indians that were up there at the compound to testify against
these guys, and nobody will tell them anything. They eventually focus on
these three boys, one of whom is a kid named Norman Brown, but they’re
14, 15, 16-year-old boys, and they wear them out trying to get them to
testify that they saw Peltier, Robideau, and Butler go down the hill to
shoot these guys.

*Amanda Knox*

How old are these boys?

*Kevin Sharp*

Like 14, 15-years-old?

*Amanda Knox*

Oh, great.

*Kevin Sharp*

Yeah, right. Right. And I’ve spoken to Norman Brown about that. What
happened was, Norman, knowing that they are going to come question him
about this, has consulted a lawyer, and the lawyer says, “Look, you have
the right to counsel. I’m going to write on a piece of paper you have a
lawyer, you are not going to speak to them without your lawyer present.
Here’s his name and number.” And Norman had this little piece of paper.
Well, the law enforcement convinces Norman’s mother that he needs to
come down here and talk to them, because he’s facing life in prison
himself for his role in this shootout. So his mother convinces Norman to
go meet them at this little BIA shed. And he goes in and pulls the piece
of paper out of his pocket, hands it to him. He says the guys laugh at
him and throw the piece of paper into the trash. And then they grab him,
throw him into a chair. They are now roughing him up. One of the agents
sticks his foot between Norman’s knees, and leans into him with the
agent’s knee into Norman’s throat, and starts to counsel him that he
needs to get a better memory and he needs to start talking. And
eventually, they get all three boys to say what they want them to say,
which is, “We saw them.” They use that to get indictments. They pick up
Robideau and Butler. Peltier has fled to Canada.

*Amanda Knox*

How did he know that he was already being targeted by the FBI at this point?

*Kevin Sharp*

Well, because they had been there. He knows they’re all targets. They
get their indictments, they pick up Robideau and Butler. Leonard is now
in Canada, and they decide to try them separately, not wait to get
Leonard extradited back. They try these two separately in Sioux Falls.
Butler and Robideau are acquitted based on self defense. The theory is
that, because of the violence that’s happening, it would not be unusual
for members of the GOON squad to, if not kill somebody, to rough them
up. The judge allows in all of the evidence about what became known as
the reign of terror
<https://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/home/background/reign/>, where
there was so much violence in the area, they knew that it was being
backed by the FBI. And so when two guys in unmarked cars drive onto the
compound with weapons, that a firefight was going to begin. And so the
jury ruled that it was not unreasonable for the Indians to shoot back,
and if somebody got killed, it was self defense. The U.S. Attorney and
the FBI were furious. One of the things that also happened was, when the
boys take the stand, they say, “Here’s what the FBI did to us. Here’s
what the U.S. Attorney told me to say. That is not true.” So when you
put that along with the reign of terror, these guys were acquitted. So
now, all they’ve got left is Leonard Peltier. And there’s a memo from
one of the supervisors, an internal high level memo that says,
recognizing that Butler and Robideau have been acquitted, that they are
to put the resources of the United States government into convicting
Leonard Peltier. And that’s what they do. First thing they got to do is
get Leonard back. And the Canadian government is saying, “You don’t have
any evidence that he did this.” And so they come up with an affidavit
from a woman named Myrtle Poor Bear. Myrtle Poor Bear says, “I’m
Leonard’s girlfriend. I was there that day. I saw him do it.” They hand
that to the Canadian court. Canadians go, “Well, Mr. Peltier, looks like
they got evidence against you.” They send him back to stand trial. The
case is transferred to Fargo, North Dakota and put in front of Judge
Benson, and this judge says, “The FBI is not on trial here. We’re not
letting in this evidence about the reign of terror.” He guts his
self-defense defense. He’s not gonna let any of this evidence in. Myrtle
Poor Bear, it turns out, never met Leonard Peltier. Did not know him.
The FBI drafted this affidavit for her to sign. So Leonard is now here,
under this affidavit where Myrtle just lied. Now Myrtle says that she
did that because they told her if she did not sign it, that they were
going to take her daughter away from her, which was a real threat. If
you’re Indian, you know they’ve been doing this for a century with these
Indian boarding schools. Leonard was literally pulled out of his
grandmother’s arms when he was nine years old and sent to one of these
boarding schools. When they tell Myrtle they’re going to take her
daughter from her, that’s not an idle threat. And she’s scared and so
she signs it. They were expecting her to testify at trial, and she said,
“How am I going to know who he is?” And they said, “Don’t worry about
it. We’re going to tell you everything you need to know.” This is
according to Myrtle. So the stories are all contradictory. The U.S.
Attorney, once these affidavits come out, there’s no way they can put
her on the stand. But the defense wants to put her on the stand to show,
similar to what they did with the boys, that they’re threatening
witnesses. The court doesn’t let her take the stand. He says, “Because
of her mental health issues, she’s incompetent to testify.” And so we
never hear from Myrtle Poor Bear again. The other thing that happens is,
now Norman Brown and his two friends have told the truth in the first
trial, they’re going to take the stand in the second trial, but their
testimony is going to be limited to what they saw, which was, “Yes, we
saw these men up on the Jumping Bull compound and they were shooting,”
which is true. There are the rules of evidence and what that allows you
to do, if you’re the judge, is to put your finger on the scale. And
there’s nothing anyone can do about it unless it’s so egregious that it
can’t be ignored. I’ve talked to other judges about this. They know, if
they want a case to come out a certain way, they can do it. “I can make
decisions on what evidence gets in which evidence does not get in, and
it can completely change the course of a trial.” And I’m reading these
transcripts going, “Yep. That’s what’s happening here.”

*Amanda Knox*

Was there any physical evidence that they tried to bring to the table?

*Kevin Sharp*

Their physical evidence was this: they examine the area, and they’re not
finding anything that links Leonard to this shooting, but they go back,
and after they’ve examined the area a couple of times, lo and behold,
there’s a shell casing that they missed. They find a shell casing, and
it’s sent to ballistics and their ballistics expert says, “The gun that
we believe Leonard had, which was an AR-15, was damaged in a fire, so I
couldn’t do a firing pin test, which would be the most accurate test I
could do, but we did a shell casing examination, and the shell casing is
consistent with this AR-15.” Leonard was the only person who had an
AR-15. There you go. And that’s the argument that the U.S. Attorney
makes. For all of the weeks of trial, their case really comes down to
this. Let me add one other thing that happens. On day two of the trial,
three women show up at the courthouse in Fargo. They’ve got a piece of
paper, a handwritten note on a piece of notebook paper that says, “We
are friends with one of the jurors. We work with her, and the other day
we were on our coffee break, and she says to us, ‘I’m really prejudiced
against Indians.’ This is what she said to us. We just couldn’t live
with ourselves if we didn’t bring this to the court’s attention.” And so
the court says, “Thank you very much. Let’s bring this jury in here. We
need to find out what’s going on.” And so they bring the jury back in,
and the judge says, “Hey, we’ve got this statement here. Let me know if
you have any response.” She reads it, and she says, “Yep, I said it. But
I told you when you were asking me questions that I would set any
prejudice I had. I’d be fair.” The judge says, “Thank you very much.”
That’s it. She is sent back to the jury. They allow this woman to sit on
the jury, and she votes “guilt” at the end. Although, it’s hard to blame
her if you’ve got a ballistics expert whose testimony has been, “Only
one person had an AR-15. Here’s a shell casing from an AR-15.” It links
Leonard to this point blank shooting. All well and good. But a Freedom
of Information Act request years later produces another ballistics test.
And the agent who was sitting on the stand that says, “We couldn’t do a
firing pin test because the rifle had been destroyed,” had done a firing
pin test. And it wasn’t that weapon. They knew it. They knew it wasn’t
that weapon. They had done the ballistics test and they hid it. The
other thing that the judge let in was, Leonard had been charged with
attempted murder. Now what had happened there was, he was in a
restaurant with some other guys. Plainclothes police officers had
approached him and provoked him into a fight, and then claimed he had
tried to murder them. Ordinarily, the judge in the Fargo trial wouldn’t
let that in, because you’ve just been charged, you haven’t been
convicted. What does that have to do with Pine Ridge? The judge let it
in. “That would give him motive to kill the agents. I’m gonna let it
in.” After he’s tried in Fargo, he’s tried for that attempted case. And
he’s acquitted, because the girlfriend of one of the police officers
admits that the whole thing was a setup. He was acquitted, but how that
evidence gets in, that’s the problem. But once you get the ballistics
test that was hidden, it becomes a clear Brady violation, which says
it’s a Constitutional violation if the prosecution and law enforcement
has exculpatory evidence and then they hid it. It should have been,
“This conviction is set aside, but it wasn’t. The prosecutor now has
zero evidence that put Leonard at the scene of the crime, if there was a
crime.

*Amanda Knox*

The other two guys had been acquitted.

*Kevin Sharp*

They’ve been acquitted based on self defense. So where’s the crime? So
they changed their theory to aiding and abetting.

*Amanda Knox*

It’s also odd to go after someone for aiding and abetting a first degree
murder when you don’t have someone already charged with the first degree
murder.

*Kevin Sharp*

Right. Glen Crooks, the prosecutor, is asked that. “Who did he aid and
abet?” And he said, I think it was his interview with Steve Croft, the
60 minutes reporter, Glenn Crooks says, “I don’t know. Maybe he aided
and abetted himself.” You can’t aid and abet yourself, Mr. Crooks. I
don’t know what law school you went to. That’s impossible. And the two
guys that you indicted for it were acquitted based on self defense. So
who did Leonard aid and abet? There’s nobody to aid and abet. This whole
thing just stinks.

*Amanda Knox *

So, a new podcast
<https://open.spotify.com/show/3jHbjz5dkpn5Ts5nHWJwXp?si=4mznFHAZSiWRc6FNbs6k8Q>
covering this case calls Leonard the longest serving political prisoner
in American history. Why is that?

*Kevin Sharp*

I think there are two reasons why you could call him that. One is that
AIM is listed as a subversive group by the FBI. They would use their
counterintelligence not just watching groups they consider subversive,
they’re actively doing things to interrupt them. It’s what caused so
many FBI agents to be in the area. It’s what caused them to then support
the GOON squad with intelligence and with ammunition. That was all
politics. It’s all politics that have kept him in prison since then.
When Bill Clinton was thinking about granting clemency to Leonard
Peltier, Louis Freeh, who was director of the FBI, went on a full out
lobbying campaign to stop that. James Comey did the same thing when
President Obama was there. That’s politics. And they’re keeping a man in
prison for politics. He needs to be sent home. He’ll be 76-years-old in
September. What they did was a travesty. It’s time to end this.

*Amanda Knox *

Why are the FBI so hung up on this?

*Kevin Sharp*

Because it’s personal. These were two FBI agents and the FBI stake their
reputation on it. They cannot let it go. They put the entire resources
of the United States government in getting a conviction of Leonard
Peltier. And they cannot say, “We were wrong.” It’s the same thing with
the protests in the streets. Until the police are willing to say, when
mistakes are made, “Yes, we did it. We accept the responsibility, and
we’re going to do better.” Until they do, it creates an us versus them.
And it’s not an us versus them. It’s us. It’s all us.

*Amanda Knox*

Leonard is turning 76 this September. We are in the midst of a pandemic.
How is he surviving the situation right now?

*Kevin Sharp*

He’s down in Coleman maximum security prison. It is essentially a
perpetual lockdown. You might as well be in solitary, and they get out
three hours a week. And during that time there, they will have to shower
and make their phone calls, head to the commissary, get those things
done, maybe get on a computer and send an email. You get 10 minutes for
your phone call. It’s nerve wracking. But it’s interesting, I’m learning
so much about the native culture. Leonard has the same way of thinking
in the long term. It has been 44 years, he always has hope that at some
point, and now we’re hoping that it’s President Trump, will say, “Enough
is enough. Go back to Turtle Mountain.” He’s got a little place to live
up there. “Go up there, paint, become an elder in your tribe, and live
out what time you have left.” That’s the way he thinks, and that’s what
we’re doing.

*Amanda Knox*

So as much as Leonard Peltier has become a FBI boogeyman, he’s become an
icon for the native community, for AIM. Is Leonard still active in that
community? Does he still have roots in his community? And if so, how
does he express them?

*Kevin Sharp*

He’s able to send emails. He’s able to talk to people in the community
who can bring back his messages. But when he went to Pine Ridge in 1975,
he went there as a warrior for his people, because you can’t separate
the people from the land and their culture. That’s still the way he is
today. He’s moved from a warrior status to an elder status. It’s still
about the tribes. It’s about the land. It’s about the environment. It’s
about the kids. He’s got 12, 13 great grandchildren. When you think in
terms of generations, and in terms of centuries, you don’t turn inward
and just think about yourself or “Poor me,” or “How long are they going
to do this to me?” They may do it forever. I’m hopeful that it won’t
happen that way. That at least he’s got some time left, but his health
is not great. He still keeps his spirits up. His painting helps to do
that. Those are the things that he does to stay connected to those of us
on the outside and more importantly to his land and his people. Really
impressive guy. I would love for him to get out so that people could see
the guy that I see.

*Amanda Knox*

Do you have any final thoughts before I let you go?

*Kevin Sharp*

I would love for people to know that these things happen. Our government
is capable of this. But they’re also capable of fixing it. Until we’re
ready to talk about it, and face it, we can’t end it.