[Pnews] Jeremy Hammond Called to Testify Before EDVA Grand Jury

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 3 10:49:57 EDT 2019

https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2019/09/imprisoned-activist-jeremy-hammond-called-against-his-will-to-testify-before-federal-grand-jury-in-the-edva/?fbclid=IwAR0uoKX8PEOs2rAL8vP6GPgm-UtlRXw7S9vO1RF_l4niDDIT4rGSwtLfokE

  Jeremy Hammond Called to Testify Before EDVA Grand Jury

September 3, 2019

Virginia Grand Jury Believed to be the Same Probe that Previously Called
on Chelsea Manning, David House
—

*Alexandria, VA — *Imprisoned information activist Jeremy Hammond has
been called against his will to testify before a Federal Grand Jury in
the Eastern District of Virginia (EDVA). Last week Hammond was removed
from the Federal Correctional Institution in Memphis, Tennessee where he
was serving a 10-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to charges
he hacked the private intelligence contractor Stratfor Global
Intelligence. At the time of his transfer Hammond was enrolled in the
Federal Bureau of Prison’s intensive Residential Drug Abuse Program
(RDAP) which upon completion qualifies participating inmates for early
release. Hammond’s prison release date was projected to come around mid
December of 2019 but because of his removal from the RDAP program and
the summons to this grand jury his time incarcerated could be extended
by over two years.  Although Hammond is still in transit it is believed
he will be detained in or near Alexandria, VA for the duration of his
proceedings.

*The following is a statement from the Jeremy Hammond Support Committee
regarding these developments*:

“It’s with great sadness and anger we announce that Jeremy Hammond is
being brought to the Eastern District of Virginia in an effort to compel
him to testify before a grand jury. Given the secrecy of grand jury
proceedings, we don’t know the nature or scope of the grand jury’s
investigation. However, our assumption is that this the same grand jury
that Chelsea Manning is currently being incarcerated for refusing to
testify before.

“Jeremy pled guilty in 2013 in the Southern District of New York to one
count of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. He agreed to plead
guilty pursuant to a non-cooperating plea agreement that granted him
immunity from further prosecution in all 94 federal judicial districts.
At the time of his guilty plea, Jeremy made a statement that made it
clear that he was pleading guilty so that he could speak freely about
his actions and move on with his life without putting anyone else in
jeopardy:

‘Today I pleaded guilty to one count of violating the Computer Fraud and
Abuse Act. This was a very difficult decision. I hope this statement
will explain my reasoning. I believe in the power of the truth. In
keeping with that, I do not want to hide what I did or to shy away from
my actions. This non-cooperating plea agreement frees me to tell the
world what I did and why, without exposing any tactics or information to
the government and without jeopardizing the lives and well-being of
other activists on and offline./’
//
/The full statement is available here
<https://www.sparrowmedia.net/2013/05/jeremy-hammond-plea-deal/>

“Jeremy pled guilty to put an end to the case against him. He pled
guilty because he had no interest in cooperating with the government. He
was sentenced to 10 years —the maximum allowed under his plea agreement—
and has been serving his time, counting down to the day that he will
finally be free. That day was supposed to come in mid-December of 2019.

“The government’s effort to try to compel Jeremy to testify is punitive
and mean-spirited. Jeremy has spent nearly 10 years in prison because of
his commitment to his firmly held beliefs. There is no way that he would
ever testify before a grand jury. The government knew this when they
gave him immunity in every federal jurisdiction in exchange for his
guilty plea. In bringing him against his will to the Eastern District of
Virginia, the government has put an end to his participation in the RDAP
drug program, effectively adding a year to his sentence. (If Jeremy had
been permitted to complete the 9-month program, he would have earned a
12-month sentence reduction.) When he refuses to testify, his sentence
will be prolonged indefinitely when he is punished with further
incarceration for contempt of a court order to testify.

“Like brave grand jury resisters before him, including Chelsea Manning,
Jeremy firmly believes that grand juries are repressive tools of the
government, used to investigate and intimidate activist communities and
are abused by prosecutors to gain access to intelligence to which they
are not entitled.

“The U.S. government’s blatant abuse of the grand jury process in this
case continues a clear pattern of targeting, isolating, and punishing
outspoken truth-tellers and activists. We must stand up and say that
enough is enough. We cannot allow the government to use fascist
intimidation tactics to target, imprison, silence, and torture, those
who threaten their power. We must not let the government fracture us or
our support for those who need us most, no matter how they may try to
pit us against one another, and we must not allow them to sow fear and
distrust in our communities. We must come together as one, united in our
support for truth and transparency, and for those who have paid the
ultimate price to bring it to us.”

      Note to Editors

Jeremy Hammond is being represented by attorneys Sarah Kunstler and
Susan Kellman. You can learn more about the Jeremy Hammond Support
Committee by visiting freejeremy.net <https://freejeremy.net/> or
following them on Twitter at twitter.com/freejeremynet
<https://twitter.com/freejeremynet>