[Pnews] Leonard Peltier’s 2019 Thanksgiving Message: “Walking on Stolen Land”

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 25 10:53:36 EST 2019

https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/leonard-peltiers-2019-thanksgiving-message-walking-on-stolen-land/?fbclid=IwAR1_g3mLBJUJ1mD1yYFJlUE3GO0gjY63qEfCHisulNhbKpaSIF67qRX2zyI

  Leonard Peltier’s 2019 Thanksgiving Message: “Walking on Stolen Land”

by Levi Rickert
/Published November 23, 2019/

*COLEMAN, FLORIDA* – Leonard Peltier, Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa
Indians, who is incarcerated at the U.S. Penitentiary in Coleman,
Florida, for his 1977 conviction in connection with a shootout with U.S.
government forces, where two FBI agents and one young American Indian
lost their lives.

Peltier, who is considered a political prisoner of war by many, released
this statement on Thanksgiving through the Leonard Peltier Defense
Committee:

/The year of 2019 is coming to a close and with it, comes the day most
Americans set aside as a day for Thanksgiving. As I let my mind wander
beyond the steel bars and concrete walls, I try to imagine what the
people who live outside the prison gates are doing, and what they are
thinking. Do they ever think of the Indigenous people who were forced
from their homelands? Do they understand that with every step they take,
no matter the direction, that they are walking on stolen land? Can they
imagine, even for one minute, what it was like to watch the suffering of
the women, the children and babies and yes, the sick and elderly, as
they were made to keep pushing west in freezing temperatures, with
little or no food? These were my people and this was our land. There was
a time when we enjoyed freedom and were able to hunt buffalo and gather
the foods and sacred medicines. We were able to fish and we enjoyed the
clean clear water! My people were generous, we shared everything we had,
including the knowledge of how to survive the long harsh winters or the
hot humid summers. We were appreciative of the gifts from our Creator
and remembered to give thanks on a daily basis. We had ceremonies and
special dances that were a celebration of life./

/With the coming of foreigners to our shores, life as we knew it would
change drastically. Individual ownership was foreign to my people.
Fences?? Unheard of, back then. We were a communal people and we took
care of each other. Our grandparents weren’t isolated from us! They were
the wisdom keepers and story tellers and were an important link in our
families. The babies? They were and are our future! Look at the
brilliant young people who put themselves at risk, fighting to keep our
water and environment clean and safe for the generations yet to come.
They are willing to confront the giant, multi-national corporations by
educating the general public of the devastation being caused. I smile
with hope when I think of them. They are fearless and ready to speak the
truth to all who are willing to listen. We also remember our brothers
and sisters of Bolivia, who are rioting, in support of the first
Indigenous President, Evo Morales. His commitment to the people, the
land, their resources and protection against corruption is commendable.
We recognize and identify with that struggle so well./

/So today, I thank all of the people who are willing to have an open
mind, those who are willing to accept the responsibility of planning for
seven generations ahead, those who remember the sacrifices made by our
ancestors so we can continue to speak our own language, practice our own
way of thankfulness in our own skin, and that we always acknowledge and
respect the Indigenous linage that we carry./

/For those of you who are thankful that you have enough food to feed
your families, please give to those who aren’t as fortunate. If you are
warm and have a comfortable shelter to live in, please give to those who
are cold and homeless, if you see someone hurting and in need of a kind
word or two, be that person who steps forward and lends a hand. And
especially, when you see injustice anywhere, please be brave enough to
speak up to confront it./

/I want to thank all who are kind enough to remember me and my family in
your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for continuing to support and
believe in me. There isn’t a minute in any day that passes without me
hoping that this will be the day I will be granted freedom. I long for
the day when I can smell clean fresh air, when I can feel a gentle
breeze in my hair, witness the clouds as their movement hides the sun
and when the moon shines the light on the path to the sacred Inipi. That
would truly be a day I could call a day of Thanksgiving./

/Thank you for listening to whomever is voicing my words. My Spirit is
there with you./

/Doksha,/
/In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,/
/Leonard Peltier/
<https://nativenewsonline.net/author/editor/>

Editor <https://nativenewsonline.net/author/editor/>

Levi Rickert, a tribal citizen of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation, is
the publisher and editor of Native News Online. Previously, he served as
editor of the Native News Network. He is a resident of Grand Rapids,
Michigan.