[Pnews] Rattling the Bars - Eddie Conway’s Update on Forgotten Political Prisoners

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 25 10:20:22 EST 2019

https://therealnews.com/stories/eddie-conway-update-forgotten-political-prisoners

  Eddie Conway’s Update on Forgotten Political Prisoners

November 19, 2019

**EDDIE CONWAY:** I’m Eddie Conway, host of Rattling the Bars. As many
well-known political prisoners like Mumia Abu-Jamal continue to suffer
in prison…

**MUMIA ABU JAMAL:** In an area where there is corporate downsizing and
there are no jobs and there is only a service economy and education is
being cut, which is the only rung by which people can climb, the only
growth industry in this part of Pennsylvania, in the Eastern United
States, in the Southern United States, in the Western United States is
“corrections,” for want of a better word. The corrections industry is
booming. I mean, this joint here ain’t five years old.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** …The media brings their stories to the masses. But
there are many lesser-known activists that have dropped out of the
spotlight, grown old in prison, or just been forgotten. For Rattling the
Bars, we are spotlighting a few of their stories. There was a thriving
Black Panther party in Omaha, Nebraska, headed by David Rice and Ed
Poindexter. By 1968, the FBI had began plans to eliminate the Omaha
Black Panthers by making an example of Rice and Poindexter. It would
take a couple of years, but the FBI would frame them for murder.

**KIETRYN ZYCHAL:* *In the 90s, Ed and Mondo both applied to the parole
board. There are two different things you do in Nebraska, the parole
board would grant you parole, but because they have life sentences, they
were told that they have to apply to the pardons board, which is the
governor, the attorney general, and the secretary of state, and ask that
their life sentences be commuted to a specific number of years before
they would be eligible for parole.

And so there was a movement in the 90s to try to get them out on parole.
The parole board would recommend them for parole because they were
exemplary prisoners, and then the pardons board would not give them a
hearing. They wouldn’t even meet to determine whether they would commute
their sentence.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** They served 45 years before Rice died in the Nebraska
State Penitentiary. After several appeals, earning a master’s degree,
writing several books and helping other inmates, Poindexter is still
serving time at the age of 75.

**KEITRYN ZYCHAL:** Ed Poindexter has been in jail or prison since
August of 1970. He was accused of making a suitcase bomb and giving it
to a 16-year-old boy named Duane Peak, and Duane Peak was supposed to
take the bomb to a vacant house and call 911, and report that a woman
was dragged screaming into a vacant house, and when police officers
showed up, one of those police officers was killed when the suitcase
bomb exploded.

Ed and his late co-defendant, Mondo we Langa, who was David Rice at the
time of the trial, they have always insisted that they had absolutely
nothing to do with this murderous plot, and they tried to get back into
court for 50 years, and they have never been able to get back into court
to prove their innocence. Mondo died in March of 2016 of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease, and Ed is going to turn 75 this year, I
think. And he has spent the majority of his life in prison. It will be
50 years in 2020 that he will be in prison.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** There are at least 20 Black Panthers still in prison
across the United States. One is one of the most revered is H. Rap
Brown, known by his Islamic name, Jamil Al-Amin.

*KAIRI AL-*AMIN:** My father has been a target for many, many, many,
many, many, many, many, many years of the federal government, and I
think him being housed these last 10 years in federal penitentiaries
without federal charges show that the vendetta is still strong. The
federal government has not forgotten who he was as H. Rap Brown, or who
he is as Imam Jamil Al-Amin.

*JAMIL AL-*AMIN:** See, it’s no in between. You are either free or
you’re a slave. There’s no such thing as second-class citizenship.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** Most people don’t realize he’s still in prison. He’s
serving a life sentence at the United States Penitentiary in Tucson.

*KAIRI AL-*AMIN:** Our campaign is twofold. One, how can egregious
constitutional rights violations not warrant a new trial, especially
when they were done by the prosecution. And two, my father is innocent.
The facts point to him being innocent, which is why we’re pushing for a
new trial. We know that they can’t win this trial twice. The reason they
won the first time was because of the gag order that was placed on my
father which didn’t allow us to fight in the court of public opinion as
well as the court of law. And so when you don’t have anyone watching,
anything can be done without any repercussion.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** Another well-known political prisoner that has been
forgotten in the media and in the public arena is Leonard Peltier.
Leonard Peltier was a member of the American Indian Movement and has
been in prison for over 40 years and is now 75 years old.

**SPEAKER:** Leonard Peltier represents, in a very real sense, the
effort, the struggle by indigenous peoples within the United States to
exercise their rights as sovereign nations, recognized as such in
treaties with the United States. For the government of the United
States, which has colonized all indigenous peoples to claim boundaries,
keeping Leonard in prison demonstrates the costs and consequences of
asserting those rights.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** Leonard Peltier suffers from a host of medical issues
including suffering from a stroke. And if he is not released, he will
die in prison.

**LEONARD PELTIER:** I’ll be an old man when I get out, if I get out.

*PAULETTE D’*AUTEUIL:** His wellbeing is that he rarely gets a family
visit. His children live in California and North Dakota. Both places are
a good 2000 miles from where he’s at in Florida, so it makes it time
consuming as well as expensive to come and see him. He is, health-wise,
we are still working on trying to get some help for his prostate, and
there has been some development of some spots on his lungs, which we are
trying to get resolved. There’s an incredible mold issue in the prison,
especially because in Florida it’s so humid and it builds up. So we’re
also dealing with that.

**EDDIE CONWAY:** These are just a few of the almost 20 political
prisoners that has remained in American prisons for 30 and 40 years,
some even longer. Mutulu Shakur has been in jail for long, long decades.
Assata Shakur has been hiding and forced into exile in Cuba. Sundiata
has been in prison for decades; Veronza Bower, The Move Nine. And
there’s just a number of political prisoners that’s done 30 or 40 years.

They need to be released and they need to have an opportunity to be back
with their family, their children, their grandchildren, whoever is still
alive. Any other prisoners in the United States that have the same sort
of charges as those people that are being held has been released up to
15 or 20 years ago. That same justice system should work for the
political prisoners also.

Thank you for joining me for this episode of Rattling the Bars. I’m
Eddie Conway.