[Pnews] Keith “Malik” Washington calls for our help: ‘Don’t allow the feds to assassinate me!’

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 21 11:14:18 EST 2019

https://sfbayview.com/2019/11/emergency-comrade-malik-calls-for-our-help-dont-allow-the-feds-to-assassinate-me/

  Emergency! Comrade Malik calls for our help: ‘Don’t allow the feds to
  assassinate me!’

November 18, 2019

*/by Comrade Malik, aka Keith Washington/*

Revolutionary greetings, comrades!

There is no such thing as coincidence when you are an outspoken servant
of the people. Everything happens for a reason.

When I embraced this life as a freedom fighter and whistleblower, I knew
there would come a time when the oppressors would place me in harm’s way
and then feign ignorance.

I think it’s time we all got more serious about protecting our most
advanced political elements. Whether it be Kevin “Rashid” Johnson or
Sean Swain, we must protect our comrades who are trapped inside these
razor wire plantations!

Dare to struggle, Dare to win. All Power to the People!

/Send our brother some love and light: Keith H. Washington, 34481-037,
USP Beaumont, P.O. Box 26030, Beaumont, TX 77720./

      *What does Malik mean?*

On Nov. 17, supporters learned of this cryptic message (transcribed word
for word above), which Malik headlined “Don’t allow the feds to
assassinate me!” Although he gives us no clue to exactly what is
happening to him, those words are clear: Comrade Malik fears for his
life. His life is indispensable to the burgeoning movement to “End
prison slavery,” words he made famous, and he deserves a response by all
justice-loving people.

To try to understand what Comrade Malik – Keith “Malik” Washington – is
writing between the lines, here’s a reminder of recent events in the
life of one of the most effective and popular prisoner advocates in the
country, who has volunteered to come to San Francisco upon his release
to become Bay View editor. Malik was unexpectedly paroled
<https://sfbayview.com/2019/08/malik-has-been-granted-parole/> in August
after 12 years in Texas prisons and transferred to the federal Bureau of
Prisons to serve the final 18 months of an old sentence.

Upon his assignment to USP Beaumont
<https://sfbayview.com/2019/10/welcome-to-usp-beaumont-where-the-struggle-continues/>,
known as “Bloody Beaumont” for the frequency of violent assaults and
murders, he was set up for a vicious beating, thrown in the “hole”
(solitary confinement) and held incommunicado for more than a month.
Only in the last few days has any of his mail to supporters been received.

The reason Malik names fellow prisoners Kevin “Rashid” Johnson, minister
of defense of the New Afrikan Black Panther Party, and Sean Swain, an
anarchist prisoner, is apparently that they are also in danger of
assassination.

      *How can we save Malik’s life?*

First and foremost, knowing the power of public pressure on prison
officials, who fear exposure of their rampant wrongdoing, we must
relaunch the phone zap originally announced on Oct. 29
<https://sfbayview.com/2019/10/join-the-phone-zap-to-move-comrade-malik-badly-beaten-out-of-usp-beaumont/>.
For convenience, that message is repeated here:

    */Join the phone zap to move Comrade Malik, badly beaten, out of USP
    Beaumont/*

*/by Comrade Malik Support Group/*

Keith “Malik” Washington, a long-time Bay View contributor who plans to
start working at the paper full time on his release, is currently being
held in solitary confinement after being attacked at USP Beaumont. Other
prisoners had previously warned that he was in danger at Beaumont and
had suggested that he was being made a target because of his activism.

Malik urgently needs to get out of this dangerous environment and into
an institution in California so it’ll be easier for him to start working
at the Bay View right away when he gets released. And a show of public
solidarity and support will let the prison officials know that many,
many people are watching out for him and they can’t get away with any
more dirty tricks.

If you’re not familiar with Comrade Malik, a nationally respected
advocate, read some of his stories here
<https://sfbayview.com/?s=%22Comrade+Malik%22> and on ComradeMalik.com
<https://comrademalik.com/>.

      *Here’s how you can help*

Call the numbers below and read this script to the person who answers or
leave a voice mail:

“Hello,

“I am contacting you on behalf of Keith Washington (#34481-037), a
prisoner who was recently assaulted while being held at USP Beaumont. It
is my understanding that Mr. Washington is hurt and being held in the
SHU with restricted access to the outside world and that an
investigation is currently underway. I request that you complete this
investigation as swiftly as possible, that you recommend Keith
Washington be transferred to a California facility, and that no further
disciplinary measures are taken against Mr. Washington, a man who has no
history of violence other than what he has been exposed to in your
institution.

“Can you confirm whether there is a specific Designator currently
working on Mr. Washington’s case, and who they are if so? I wish to
recommend that Mr. Washington is transferred as quickly as possible to a
lower security, less violent facility in California, as he is due to
take up employment and residency there and it would be most appropriate
for his standing.

“Please be advised that we are currently actively investigating the
possibility of taking legal action to redress the harm that Mr.
Washington has suffered in your care and as a result of your negligence.”

*Here are the phone numbers to call* and emails to use as well; please
contact as many as you can:

1. Bureau of Prisons (BOP) Director Kathleen Hawk Sawyer: 202-307-3250
<tel:202-307-3250>.

That office, after being told about Malik and the problems, gave us the
name and phone number for the regional office. The director, Mr.
Baltazar, “doesn’t take calls from the public.” Imagine that!

2. South Central Regional Office in Grand Prairie, 972-730-8600,
PolicyCorrespondence&AdminRemedies at bop.gov
<mailto:PolicyCorrespondence%26AdminRemedies at bop.gov>:

  * Mr. Morales, Operations Manager: 972-352-4400. Call the number,
    press zero and let it ring, about 50 times. Ask the operator to
    connect you to Mr. Morales.
  * Ext. 1 Correctional Programs
  * Ext. 4 Correctional Services
  * Ext. 6 Facilities Management
  * Ext. 9 Safety

3. USP Beaumont: 409-727-8188 This is the most important number to call.
Leave messages!

  * Larry Schultz, Warden
  * Jay Tenner, Unit Manager, ext. 4551, ExecAssistant at bop.gov
    <mailto:ExecAssistant at bop.gov>
  * Mr. Odstrcil, Case Manager

Please send us a message with anything you learned or with your advice.
Send your report-backs to fighttoxicprisons at gmail.com
<mailto:fighttoxicprisons at gmail.com> and/or ComradeMalik5 at gmail.com
<mailto:ComradeMalik5 at gmail.com>.

      *Malik needs media coverage*

The prison officials who hold Malik’s life in their hands will handle it
with care if they know mainstream media are watching and reporting his
plight to the public. Therefore, his supporters are issuing the
following press release and encourage readers to urge reporters to
arrange to interview him immediately:

    */Nationally known advocate Malik Washington, badly beaten and held
    incommunicado at USP Beaumont, writes,/*//*/‘Don’t allow the feds to
    assassinate me!’/*

Supporters of Keith Washington, an incarcerated journalist known
nationally as Comrade Malik, have just received the following cryptic
message:

“Revolutionary greetings, comrades!

“There is no such thing as coincidence when you are an outspoken servant
of the people. Everything happens for a reason.

“When I embraced this life as a freedom fighter and whistleblower, I
knew there would come a time when the oppressors would place me in
harm’s way and then feign ignorance.

“I think it’s time we all got more serious about protecting our most
advanced political elements. Whether it be Kevin ‘Rashid’ Johnson or
Sean Swain, we must protect our comrades who are trapped inside these
razor wire plantations!

“Dare to struggle, Dare to win. All Power to the People!”

*Do you know Keith ‘Malik’ Washington? *

Despite being imprisoned, Malik (Keith Washington, #34481-037) is a
prolific and radical writer, activist and journalist speaking truth to
power, who is deeply committed to serving others and creating a world
without prisons. (Read his stories on sfbayview.com
<https://sfbayview.com/?s=%22Comrade+Malik%22> and comrademalik.com
<https://comrademalik.com/>​.) Over his 12+ years of incarceration in
Texas, Malik’s impactful work – often reported in the mainstream media –
has brought much needed change in Texas prisons to policies on deadly
summer heat, suicides, solitary confinement and more, much to the
frustration of prison officials bent on maintaining the status quo.

These powerful exposés have earned Malik a much coveted opportunity to
be the next editor of the San Francisco Bay View National Black
Newspaper, where most of Malik’s articles have been published. Powerful
voices like Malik’s are anathema to corrupt, abusive corrections
systems. As Malik says: “I will not be silenced!” *This makes him a
target, as you can see from his latest communication.*

Malik’s reputation as an effective change agent followed him when he was
transferred to USP Beaumont to serve an old 18-month federal sentence,
and was set up for a vicious beating and placed in solitary confinement,
where he’s been held incommunicado ever since, his mail beginning to
flow in and out only in the last few days. We are worried that federal
officials want to extend his sentence and continue to isolate and keep
him in harm’s way. Now we fear for his life.

As we watch the celebrity rush to stop the execution of Rodney Reed and
2020 presidential candidates’ competing plans to reverse mass
incarceration and stop dehumanizing and start enfranchising prisoners,
reporters as well as politicians will want to learn the reality of
imprisonment from the people experiencing it. For that purpose, Malik is
your source.

Malik asks for journalists to interview him, preferably in person. If
that’s not possible, please investigate his situation and conditions in
USP Beaumont, called “Bloody Beaumont,” immediately. You will meet a man
who is very well read, passionate and an astute critic of current
affairs who has worked closely with many legislators, academics and
journalists who have come to respect his uncanny ability to bring
opposing forces together for positive outcomes.

Prison reform, as a pathway to abolition, needs the guidance of current
and former prisoners, and Malik, whose charisma and popularity with
prisoners is legendary, will bring out the voices with the most viable
solutions. And as the prison gates begin to swing open, Malik will serve
as a role model and counselor to the hundreds of thousands coming home.

/For more information, contact Nube Brown, nube at prisons.org
<mailto:nube at prisons.org>, or Mary Ratcliff, (415) 671-0789,
editor at sfbayview.com <mailto:editor at sfbayview.com>, of the Comrade Malik
Support Group, ComradeMalik5 at gmail.com <mailto:ComradeMalik5 at gmail.com>.
And send our brother some love and light: Keith H. Washington,
34481-037, USP Beaumont, P.O. Box 26030, Beaumont, TX 77720./ /Every
piece of mail sent to him reminds prison officials that they are being
watched./