[Pnews] Chelsea Manning is Showing Us What Real Resistance Looks Like

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 24 10:50:12 EDT 2019

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/05/24/chelsea-manning-is-showing-us-what-real-resistance-looks-like/

  Chelsea Manning is Showing Us What Real Resistance Looks Like

by Kollibri terre Sonnenblume
<https://www.counterpunch.org/author/gx6td6a111/> - May 24, 2019

Throughout history, human civilization has been cursed by tyranny. Time
and again, power is concentrated in institutions that rule by coercion
and force. Humans have suffered through totalitarianism, dictatorships,
and fascism repeatedly. Untold suffering and death have occurred.

But such times have always been marked by resistance. Courageous
individuals and movements have fought back with a variety of tactics
from open revolt to furtive sabotage. The rate of success in
overthrowing particular tyrannical institutions has been mixed (though
none of them ever last forever anyway of course) but that is not the
only way to weigh the value of freedom fighters. Is it not worthy, in
and of itself, to strive on behalf of life?

Here in the USA, we are living through a time of increasing tyranny.
Certainly, the entire experiment has been tyrannical from the start,
given the genocide and slavery that founded the nation, and the brutal
militarism that wrought its imperium; however, the last few decades have
seen a ramping up of assaults against our individual rights and
collective liberties that seriously contradict the idea of a “free
country.” Under the auspices of fighting “terror,” the amendments in the
Bill of Rights have been getting crossed out like items on a grocery
list. Since the ascendancy of Trump to the White House, these trends
have accelerated. What was once characterized as “creeping” fascism is
now “leaping” and it’s a bipartisan affair. The attacks on leftist
journalism since the 2016 election, for example, have been coordinated
more by Democrats and their allies than by Republicans. (See my
“Cowardly New World: Alternative Media Under Attack by Algorithms.”
<http://macskamoksha.com/2017/10/cowardly-new-world>)

This is definitely a moment when we need resistance. And I mean
/real/ resistance, not the /faux/ hashtag Resistance(TM) of Democratic
partisans who, had Hillary been the winner, would “be at brunch now.”
<http://platformwomen.org/activism/your-brunch-our-burden/>

What does “real” resistance look like?

Chelsea Manning just showed us.

On Thursday, May 16th, the famous whistleblower was put in federal
prison. Her offense? Refusing to testify before a federal grand jury.

As reported by the Real News Network
<https://therealnews.com/stories/chelsea-manning-back-in-prison-after-refusing-to-testify>,
she declared to the judge who inflicted the punishment on her: “The
government cannot build a prison bad enough, cannot create a system
worse than the idea that I would ever change my principles. I’d rather
starve to death than to change my opinions in this regard. I mean that
quite literally.” When the judge countered with, “There’s nothing
dishonorable in discharging your responsibility as a US citizen,”
Manning retorted: “I believe this grand jury seeks to undermine the
integrity of public discourse with the aim of punishing those who expose
any serious, ongoing, and systemic abuses of power by this government.”

That’s called “speaking truth to power,” and in this instance it was not
merely symbolic. The consequences of this choice could keep Chelsea
behind bars for 18 months.

What’s more, the judge upped the ante monetarily. After 30 days, Chelsea
will be fined $500 per day while imprisoned, and after 60, $1000 per
day. If she is held for the maximum period, the total would be around
half a million dollars. This is not typical. According to a statement
from her lawyers