[Pnews] Grant Release to Black Panther, Say Activists, Lawyers, Academics

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 21 10:47:53 EDT 2019

https://ccrjustice.org/home/press-center/press-releases/grant-release-black-panther-say-activists-lawyers-academics

  Grant Release to Black Panther, Say Activists, Lawyers, Academics

May 21, 2019

Contact: press at ccrjustice.org

    Jalil Muntaqim, Jailed 48 Years, Has 11^th Hearing This Year

/May 21, 2019, New York –/ Today, a group of prominent academics,
lawyers, and activists published an open letter
<http://freedomarchives.org/Support.Jalil/Campaign.html> calling for the
release of political prisoner Jalil Muntaqim (a/k/a Anthony Bottom), the
only remaining Black Panther incarcerated in New York. He was arrested
48 years ago, when he was 19 years old, and is scheduled for his 11^th
parole hearing in September 2019. Signers include Professor *Angela
Davis* of the University of California at Santa Cruz, Professor *Cornel
West* of Harvard, actor and activist *Danny Glover*, musician and
filmmaker *Boots Riley*, author *Michelle Alexander*, and co-founder of
Black Lives Matter *Patrisse Cullors*.

The letter reads:

    We the undersigned offer our strongest support for the release of
    Jalil Muntaqim (aka Anthony Bottom) on parole. We also ask that New
    York Governor Andrew Cuomo commute his sentence to time served.
    Jalil was arrested in 1971 when he was only 19 years‐old and a
    member of the Black Panther Party. Forty‐eight years later he is the
    only Black Panther prisoner who remains incarcerated in New York
    State prisons. It is time for this father, grandfather and great
    grandfather to come home.

    Over the decades, Jalil has consistently demonstrated his commitment
    to sustaining family relationships, pursuing educational advancement
    and providing service to the community, inside and outside of
    prison. He has served as a teacher, mentor and role model for
    hundreds of other incarcerated people. He stands as an example of
    the potential to reflect, change and grow despite the many
    challenges of the prison environment.

    Jalil is scheduled for his twelfth parole hearing this coming
    September. One of his co‐defendants, Albert ‘Nuh” Washington, died
    in prison in 2000. The other, Herman Bell, was released in April
    2018 after serving almost forty‐five years in prison. There is no
    justification for Jalil to be held in prison any longer. He should
    be released at his next parole hearing when he will be sixty‐eight
    years old.

    We believe in the principles of restorative justice. While we
    understand the serious nature of the crimes for which Jalil has been
    convicted, a life sentence should not be a death sentence.
    Forty‐eight years is long enough. After all this time, Jalil
    Muntaqim belongs with his family and his community.

Muntaqim’s two codefendants are Herman Bell, who was released from
prison in 2018 after serving almost 45 years in prison, and Albert “Nuh”
Washington, who died in prison in 2000. Muntaquim will be 68 years old
at his parole hearing.

See the letter here
<http://freedomarchives.org/Support.Jalil/Campaign.html>.