[Pnews] Jamil Al-Amin Case is Back in Court - Decision from the federal appeals court is days or even weeks away

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 3 16:34:59 EDT 2019

  /A decision from the three judge federal appeals court panel is likely
  days or even weeks away./

  Al-Amin cop killer case returns to court

*He was a civil rights figure turned Black Panther named H. Rap Brown *

Author: Doug Richards- May 3, 2019 -
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/al-amin-cop-killer-case-returns-to-court/85-100e3958-3313-4491-8f71-4f06b3cdc80a

ATLANTA — Attorneys for a onetime civil rights figure were in court
today trying to get his conviction overturned for killing a cop.  Jamil
Al-Amin was a Muslim cleric living in Atlanta when a Fulton county
deputy was shot to death in 2000.

"We drove all night to get up here," said Razakhan Wali of Philadelphia,
who was outside the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in downtown Atlanta.
  He says he joined the Black Panther party co-founded in the 1960s by
Jamil Al-Amin when he was known as H. Rap Brown.  Brown had split from
the non-violent civil rights movement to advance a more militant message
of black power.

"He was a spokesman for black power, but in the best sense of it," said
Constance Curry says she was a friend of Brown before he converted to
Islam, changed his name, and became a Muslim cleric. After he moved to
Atlanta’s West End, he became a community leader. "He used to say black
power doesn’t mean black people want the power," Curry said. "It means
they want to be able to exercise the powers that they won."

  It was in the West End neighborhood in March 2000 where two Fulton
County sheriff deputies approached Al-Amin’s house to serve him a
warrant.  A shootout erupted. Al-Amin fled – and was captured and
charged with the killing of deputy Ricky Kinchen.

The evidence against Al-Amin included his bullet-riddled automobile –
and guns found near where he was captured, the ballistics of which
matched the bullets fired at the deputies. A surviving deputy also
identified Al-Amin as the killer in court.

Yet his supporters maintain his innocence.

"Cleaned up half of Atlanta before they framed him. And that’s exactly
what they did," said Wali.

"It was obvious he wasn’t guilty," Curry said. "It was all wrong. It was
all untrue evidence."

Al-Amin's backers point to statements made by the deputies that they had
struck their assailant with gunfire.  Another man with a gunshot injury
later confessed to the crime, but prosecutors said it wasn't credible.
When he was captured, Al-Amin had no gunshot injuries.

Al Amin’s attorneys argued that prosecutors violated Al-Amin’s right
against self-incrimination by presenting a mock cross examination//of
him during closing arguments at his trial. A federal judge has described
that as unconstitutional – but not enough to re-try the case.

"At this point, we’re just trying to make sure that this (appeals) court
understands there was a harm associated with that constitutional
violation," said Kairi Al-Amin, the son of the convicted cleric. He says
Al-Amin has limited expectations for the appeal to actually win a new
trial.  "We believe that we have more than enough to not only get us a
new trial but to get my father out at some point," the younger Al-Amin
said.  "But we also understand this is a precedent setting situation"
requiring the court to expand its outlook on what type of courtroom
irregularities can trigger a new trial.