[Pnews] Defend Chelsea Manning in jail once again

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 13 12:52:28 EDT 2019

*Free Chelsea Manning!*

*Again - and again!*

**

https://ymlpmail6.net/imgz/4qjg_image001--145.jpg

Chelsea Manning, the transgender whistleblower who exposed the war
crimes of the US and other governments (among which the infamous
Collateral Murder
<https://ymlpmail6.net/7a360bqhmadaehjbuakahjbaoajem/click.php> video)
is back in jail.

She was originally sentenced to 35 years in 2013. Obama commuted her
sentence to seven years after more than 100,000 people from around the
world petitioned, and many took actions demanding her release.  Chelsea
was set free on 17 May 2017.

Now the US government wants revenge and to set an example – no
whistleblower should think they can get away with it.

On 8 March 2019, Chelsea was jailed for 62 days (28 in solitary
confinement) because she refused to testify against Wikileaks in front
of a secret Grand Jury.

Wikileaks’ founder, Julian Assange, is now in jail in London.  Meanwhile
the Grand Jury has issued 18 charges which if he is extradited to the US
and found guilty could carry a sentence of up to 175 years.

After a week out of jail, Judge Anthony Trenga sent Chelsea back to jail
on 16 May. This time he also sentenced her to pay $500 a day after 30
days and $1,000 after 60 days until she accepts to testify. She is
challenging
<https://ymlpmail6.net/2b168bqhjaaaehjbuakahjbadajem/click.php> this.

Chelsea explained her refusal to testify:

*/“(…) nothing will convince me to testify before this or any other
grand jury for that matter. This experience so far only proves my long
held belief that grand juries are simply outdated tools used by the
federal government to harass and disrupt political opponents and
activists in fishing expeditions,”/*

See Chelsea’s letter
<https://ymlpmail6.net/8471bbqhbafaehjbuarahjbavajem/click.php>to the judge.

In addition to the injustice of being in jail, Chelsea still needs
follow-up care following her gender confirmation surgery – which is not
available in detention, putting her at risk of serious medical
complications.

Chelsea has defended us – exposing the crimes done in our name by
governments and military, speaking out against police killings of people
of colour and in support of immigrant people, trans people and others in
our communities – we must defend her!

*WHAT YOU CAN DO*

·We invite all anti-war, anti-Trump, LGBTQ, veterans’ organisations and
individuals to organise events and actions including as part of Pride.
We’ll publish your actions on our website
<https://ymlpmail6.net/8aabdbqhhaoaehjbuarahjbatajem/click.php>.

·Write to the prosecutors
<https://ymlpmail6.net/3b889bqhwapaehjbuarahjbadajem/click.php>

·Give to Chelsea’s legal fund
<https://ymlpmail6.net/256ccbqhqaoaehjbuakahjbanajem/click.php>

·Write to Chelsea (details below)

·Circulate this message and this interview
<https://ymlpmail6.net/92a7cbqhyavaehjbuacahjbacajem/click.php>with Chelsea

·*On 6 July*, join us at the statue of Eros, in Piccadilly Circus,
London where we will be calling on Pride to support Chelsea’s
release.and highlight Chelsea’s resistance.

·There will also be a FREE CHELSEA contingent on *Trans Pride on 20
July*in Brighton.

cid:part1.66227D30.0A8C3B33 at paydaynet.org

/PERSECUTING WHISTLEBLOWERS… Chelsea is not alone. //Daniel Hale/
<https://ymlpmail6.net/39ac1bqwsagaehjbuaxahjbatajem/click.php>/, an
anti-war Air Force veteran and former US intelligence analyst who has
spoken out against drone killings was arrested on 9 May and faces up to
50 years in prison for whistleblowing. //Reality Winner/
<https://ymlpmail6.net/1950abqwuanaehjbuaxahjbadajem/click.php>/, an NSA
whistleblower who leaked documents about possible election hacking, is 2
years into a 5 year sentence – the longest known prison term for such a
media leak. /

Circulated by Payday and Queer Strike

payday at paydaynet.org <mailto:payday at paydaynet.org>www.refusingtokill.net
<https://ymlpmail6.net/8aabdbqhhaoaehjbuarahjbatajem/click.php>queerstrike at queerstrike.net