[Pnews] During FRAMED book tour Robert Cecil declares the Omaha Two were really the Omaha Three

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 3 17:43:16 EDT 2019

https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/06/03/during-framed-book-tour-robert-cecil-declares-the-omaha-two-were-really-the-omaha-three/

  During FRAMED book tour Robert Cecil declares the Omaha Two were
  really the Omaha Three

Michael Richardson - June 3, 2019

Elmer Robert Cecil broke decades of silence during a book tour for
/FRAMED: J. Edgar Hoover, COINTELPRO & the Omaha Two story/
<https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-native-returns-to-discuss-his-book-on-rice-poindexter/article_d8476de8-cddc-592c-8a3b-26b07421ff3d.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share>
and stepped forward to declare the Omaha Two were really the Omaha
Three. The Omaha Two were Edward Poindexter
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/05/27/during-book-tour-douglas-county-attorney-don-kleine-asked-to-reopen-ed-poindexter-case/>
and David Rice
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2018/12/17/growing-up-black-in-omaha-included-loitering-arrest-for-poet-activist-david-rice/>,
later Wopashitwe Mondo Eyen we Langa
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/05/20/book-tour-visit-to-mondos-book-collection-in-prison-stirs-memories/>,
who were convicted for the August 17, 1970 bombing murder of Patrolman
Larry Minard
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2018/09/28/the-day-the-story-changed-about-the-black-panthers-and-an-omaha-policemans-murder/>.
The Omaha Two were leaders of the National Committee to Combat Fascism,
a Black Panther affiliate group and denied any role in the crime.  The
pair had been targeted by the clandestine COINTELPRO
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2018/11/12/fbi-leaders-led-conspiracy-to-frame-black-panthers-in-omaha-for-policemans-murder/>
operation of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Robert Cecil was a Black Panther member in Omaha during the group’s
brief existence in the Midwestern city. In 1969, when the local chapter
was dissolved by the national office in Oakland, California, Cecil
joined up with the United Front Against Fascism, later renamed the
National Committee to Combat Fascism.

Cecil had been a student activist at Technical High School and was quick
to volunteer for assignments. Cecil gained notoriety in 1969 when the
/Omaha World-Herald/ published a photo of him emerging from the police
station toting a shotgun and wearing an ammo bandoleer. Cecil and others
had been picked up for openly carrying firearms but released because it
was then lawful to carry unconcealed weapons.

Cecil entered the police investigation of Minard’s death when a search
was made of NCCF headquarters shortly after the bombing. Cecil was on
duty at the office and answered the door. Police Captain Bruce Hartford
described the encounter.

“I pulled the door open and forced the hook in the lock and after
someone told me, he has a gun in his hand, he has a shotgun, and we went
in.”

“I seen the shotgun in Cecil’s hand after I entered the inside and there
were rifles, numerous shells laying around in the front room and
bandoleers or canvas belts and we proceeded then into the basement.”

Hartford described using Cecil as a human shield. “Right ahead of me
when I went in the basement….Well, I figured if it was booby trapped,
and it gave all this appearance, that I would sure as hell take him with
me.”

The shotgun had a shortened barrel which led to federal firearms charges
against Cecil. At a book talk at the Great Plains Black History Museum
in Omaha the long-silent Cecil came forward to tell part of his story.
Cecil described being held by Hartford as the police searched the
headquarters.

“The Omaha Two was really the Omaha Three. I got two years for a quarter
inch. I served two years in a federal prison for a sawed off shotgun.
The legal length of the barrel was eighteen inches. They said my gun was
seventeen and three-quarters in length.”

Cecil also explained the newspaper photo of him carrying a shotgun
outside the police station. A group of Black Panthers was stopped in
traffic with a car full of legal weapons. “They took us downtown and
after they held us a while they had to let us go, we were breaking no law.”

At a pretrial hearing in March 1971, Robert Cecil was called to testify
about the search of NCCF headquarters. Cecil denied having a gun in his
hands when Captain Hartford broke the lock on the front door. Cecil
testified he was handcuffed before being used as a human shield.

Prosecutor Arthur O’Leary explained the police actions were because it
was an emergency search. “What I am trying to get at, there were
weapons, there were signs in the house indicating danger and so forth
and the police were in a hurry to do what they had to do.”

O’Leary then questioned Cecil about the term “racist pig” but Cecil
turned the taunt back. “But we used fascist pig. We don’t use racist pig.”

In April 1972, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit upheld
Cecil’s conviction for a sawed off shotgun seized during the raid of the
headquarters in Omaha. However, the court was critical of police search
tactics.

“Hartford pulled the screen door open, breaking the lock, and the
officers entered in a rush….The search, subsequent to the seizure of the
gun and the defendant’s arrest, is not pertinent here and we say no more
in that regard than that we disapprove of the manner in which it was
conducted.”

Circuit Judge Heaney dissented, arguing that police lacked probable
cause to arrest Cecil and provided more details of the search which used
Cecil as a human shield. “I fail to understand why a temporary seizure
of the defendant and the weapon would not have sufficiently protected
the officers.”

“Instead, the police handcuffed the defendant and used him as a human
shield to protect them as they searched the house, on the theory that if
any occupants of the house fired on the police, Cecil would take the
brunt of it.”

Robert Cecil was well known to the Intelligence Squad of the Omaha
Police Department and made it onto detective Jack Swanson’s list of 39
suspects in the case. Before his death in prison in March 2016, Mondo
wrote that the testimony and evidence at trial could have led to charges
against four other individuals besides himself and Ed Poindexter. Mondo
said that Raleigh House, Donald Peak, Jr., Robert Cecil and Frank Peak
could have all been charged. Duane Peak, the confessed bomber, testified
that Raleigh House supplied the suitcase and dynamite to make the bomb.
One of Donald Peak’s sisters identified the voice on the 911 tape, which
lured Minard to his death, as Donald’s and put him and Duane with the
suitcase together hours before the bombing. Frank Peak, a cousin of
Duane and Donald, was purportedly at a planning session for the crime
according to Duane. Cecil’s possible role came from reports of the crime
laboratory at the Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Division in Washington.

According to Maynard Pro, the assistant chief of the ATF laboratory,
dynamite particles were found in the trousers of Cecil. ATF chemist
Kenneth Snow testified at trial that hand swabs from Cecil tested
positive for dynamite. Cecil declines to discuss the dynamite evidence
beyond a short statement.

“I’m sure it was part of the fabrication of their evidence if the other
two were found not guilty. I told you I was the lucky one. They wanted
us off the street, one way or another.”

“I still feel that it is not time to talk about what has happened to me.
I do not talk about those days, I am reluctant as to how I was treated
by both sides. Perhaps in the future.”

So how did dynamite traces show up on Cecil’s pants and hand swabs?
Dynamite particles were also allegedly found in clothing of Poindexter
and Mondo by the ATF lab. The clothing had been transported to
Washington by ATF agent Thomas Sledge, along with three vials of
dynamite particles, for testing. Sledge’s brother James, an Omaha
policeman, had been injured in the bombing and Sledge is suspected of
salting the clothing with dynamite particles. Sledge may have done the
same with the hand swabs, cotton balls stored in a plastic bag. However,
hand swabs from Poindexter and Mondo turned up negative for dynamite
raising a question about Cecil’s swab test results.

Robert Cecil’s name emerged again in 1980 during post-trial proceedings.
Attorney William Cunningham, representing Mondo, disclosed that the
Omaha ATF office sought conspiracy charges against twenty-two black
activists in four states for bombings in the 1970’s. United States
Attorney Richard Dier refused to bring charges against the group, dubbed
the Midwest 22, ending federal attempts to further imprison Cecil.

Robert Cecil’s reluctance to speak about his Black Panther days is
understandable given the trouble that came his way. However, Cecil was a
central figure in those turbulent days in Omaha and may have much to
tell that has not been yet disclosed. Meanwhile, Ed Poindexter was
recently denied a media interview
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/nebraska-department-of-corrections-director-scott-frakes-denied-political-prisoner-ed-poindexter-media-interview-during-framed-book-tour/>
at the state penitentiary without cause, unable to tell his story, a
silence that speaks loudly about the Nebraska justice system.

/Excerpts from/ FRAMED: J. Edgar Hoover, COINTELPRO & the Omaha Two
story
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/new-book-on-fbis-war-against-the-black-panthers-gets-five-star-review/>,
/in print edition at/ Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/FRAMED-Edgar-Hoover-COINTELPRO-Omaha/dp/1985021994/ref=sr_1_43?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530637788&sr=1-43&keywords=framed>
/and in/ ebook
<https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=FRAMED%3A+J.+Edgar+Hoover%2C+COINTELPRO+%26+the+Omaha+Two+story>.
/Portions of the book may be read free online at/ NorthOmahaHistory.com
<https://northomahahistory.com/2017/07/07/framed-series-summary-by-michael-richardson/>.
/The book is also available to patrons of the Omaha Public Library./