[Pnews] 11 Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike against administrative detention, call for solidarity and action

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 2 10:55:22 EDT 2019

https://samidoun.net/2019/07/11-palestinian-prisoners-on-hunger-strike-against-administrative-detention-call-for-solidarity-and-action/

  11 Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike against administrative
  detention, call for solidarity and action

Three more Palestinian prisoners launched a hunger strike on 1 July
2019, joining eight already refusing meals in protest. Mohammed Nidal
Abu Aker
<https://samidoun.net/2018/11/nidal-and-mohammed-abu-aker-father-and-son-activists-in-dheisheh-camp-seized-by-occupation-forces/>
and Mohammed Attia Hassanat, both of Dheisheh refugee camp near
Bethlehem, and Huzaifa Halabiya from Abu Dis in Jerusalem all began an
open hunger strike against their Israeli administrative detention,
imprisonment without charge or trial. All three are held in the Negev
desert prison with no charges and no trial, on the basis of secret evidence.

They join several more Palestinian prisoners who have been on hunger
strike against administrative detention. Jafar Ezzedine
<https://samidoun.net/2019/06/palestinian-women-prisoners-suspend-planned-hunger-strike-10-palestinian-men-striking-against-detention/>,
48, a former long-term hunger striker, and Ihsan Othman, 21, have been
on hunger strike since 16 June and 18 June. Ezzedine launched his strike
after he was supposed to be released from a five-month sentence in
Israeli prison but was instead transferred to imprisonment
<https://samidoun.net/2019/06/palestinian-women-prisoners-suspend-planned-hunger-strike-10-palestinian-men-striking-against-detention/>
without charge or trial; Othman launched his strike two days later. A
student at Al-Quds University, his repeated detention has prevented him
from graduating and receiving his degree.

Six more Palestinian prisoners, all jailed without charge or trial under
administrative detention, joined the hunger strike: the brother Mahmoud
and Qaid al-Fasfous, Ghandafar Musa Abu Atwan, Abdel-Aziz Waleed Sweiti,
Qais Khaled al-Nammoura and Ahmad Zahran. These six prisoners are all
from the al-Khalil (Hebron) area and are detained in Ofer prison.
Ezzedine is jailed in Megiddo prison
<http://maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=988260>, where he has faced ongoing
night inspections with dogs and other forms of repression in an attempt
to compel him to end his strike.  A disciplinary court in Megiddo prison
convened by the prison director <http://asravoice.ps/post/12290/>
ordered him to solitary confinement and denied him access to family
visits or the “canteen” (prison store) for one month in retaliation for
his protest.

All of the striking prisoners are demanding an end to administrative
detention. These orders are issued for one to six months at a time; they
are indefinitely renewable, and Palestinians have spent years at a time
jailed without charge or trial under the basis of “secret evidence.”
There are currently about 500 Palestinians jailed without charge or
trial under administrative detention out of a total of approximately
5,500 Palestinian prisoners.

The Prisoners’ Affairs Commission said that some of the striking
prisoners <http://maannews.net/Content.aspx?id=988349> are already
suffering from health complications, including severe weakness,
difficulty moving, serious headaches, dizziness and yellowness of the skin.

The escalating struggle against administrative detention comes as all 47
Palestinian prisoners held in Ashkelon prison
<https://www.wattan.tv/ar/news/285833.html> were suddenly transferred to
other prisons. Last month, these prisoners conducted a one-day hunger
strike
<https://samidoun.net/2019/06/ashkelon-prisoners-suspend-hunger-strike/>
to demand an end to the repressive raids and attacks against the
prisoners, the lifting of financial sanctions and treatment for ill
prisoners. They ended their strike after an agreement to implement their
demands; however, in a new form of collective punishment aimed at
dismantling the prisoners’ movement, all were transferred on 1 July to
other Israeli prisons.

The Prison Branch of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
issued a statement urging support for the prisoners and calling for
action <http://hadfnews.ps/post/56781/>, noting that its comrades
Mohammed Abu Aker, Mustafa Hassanat, Huzaifa Halabiya and Ahmad Zahran
had already taken a leading role in the strikes to confront
administrative detention. They said that additional prisoners would be
joining the strike in the coming days as part of a strategy of
escalating struggle for an end to imprisonment without charge or trial,
and urged actions in solidarity:

“1. We call for the formation of a committee to support the
administrative detainees through public events and struggle on the ground.

2. We call on the National Committee for the Great March of Return to
adopt a Friday to support the administrative detainees on hunger strike,
and for this Friday to be a Palestinian day of action throughout
occupied Palestine and in exile and diaspora.

3. We call on the prisoners, especially those who have successfully
conducted the battle of empty stomachs and have been victorious in the
past years, to make an announcement of a support strike in solidarity
with the administrative detainees on hunger strike, in front of the
headquarters of the Red Cross as a unified action with a specific date.

4. We call on Palestinian national organizations to take action, erect
tents in public spaces and call for days of public anger and protest of
the occupation.

5. We call on the Palestinian lawyers’ associations to launch a broader
campaign of support and solidarity with the administrative detainees and
especially the hunger strikers at a local, regional and international
level, giving this issue significant attention.

6. We call on the Palestinian Journalists’ Syndicate to work to create a
unified day for radio broadcasts in support of the administrative
detainees on hunger strike and highlighting the issue of administrative
detention.”

They concluded by noting that “This battle will continue, and many of
the strugglers will participate in successive groups of strikers, until
achieving the goal. We are confident in the popular support that is
always provided by our resisting Palestinian masses.”

*Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network urges all to stand
with these courageous prisoners who have put their lives on the line to
seek freedom and an end to the unjust system of administrative
detention. International solidarity can help them win their struggles,
so all of our participation, protests, petitions and phone calls can
play a role in helping them to seize victory for justice and freedom.*