[Pnews] So-called progressive Philly DA appeals judge’s ruling on Mumia Abu-Jamal

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 28 10:17:52 EST 2019

  Philly DA’s Office appeals judge’s ruling on Mumia Abu-Jamal

by Chris Palmer <http://www.philly.com/archive/chris_palmer/>,
Updated: January 25, 2019
http://www.philly.com/news/philadelphia-da-office-appeal-mumia-abu-jamal-judge-leon-tucker-20190125.html

The Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office on Friday appealed a judge’s
ruling
<http://www.philly.com/news/mumia-abu-jamal-granted-partial-appeals-request-20181228.html>
that convicted cop killer (sic) Mumia Abu-Jamal should be allowed to
reargue his appeal before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

The decision is the latest development in the long-running
post-conviction saga of Abu-Jamal, 64, a former Black Panther and
sometime radio reporter serving a life sentence for the Dec. 9, 1981,
shooting death of Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner, 25, at
13th and Locust Streets.

The District Attorney’s Office did not comment beyond filing its notice
of appeal.

Judith Ritter, an attorney for Abu-Jamal, said in an email that she was
“very disappointed” by District Attorney Larry Krasner’s decision.

“Krasner’s appeal only risks delaying our opportunity to make our case
to an appellate court untainted by bias,” Ritter said.

Common Pleas Court Judge Leon Tucker ruled last month that Abu-Jamal
could reargue his appeal
<http://www.philly.com/news/mumia-abu-jamal-granted-partial-appeals-request-20181228.html>
before the high court because former Chief Justice Ronald D. Castille —
who previously served as Philadelphia’s district attorney — did not
recuse himself when Abu-Jamal’s case came before the court.

Tucker denied for lack of evidence an argument by Abu-Jamal that
Castille had “personal involvement” in the prosecution.

Abu-Jamal’s case has moved slowly through the appeals process, which has
frustrated Faulkner’s widow
<http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/mumia-abu-jamal-daniel-faulkner-philadelphia-police-maureen-20181029.html>.

John McNesby, president of the Philadelphia police officers' union and a
frequent Krasner critic,
<http://www.philly.com/news/philly-fop-boss-blasts-da-larry-krasner-tucker-carlsons-fox-news-show-20190125.html>
said Friday that the district attorney’s decision to appeal was “the
right thing to do.”

“Good," he said when told of the decision. "I applaud them for doing that.”