[Pnews] Arrest of Marzieh Hashemi Reveals Bipartisan Nature of Police State

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 25 11:01:00 EST 2019

/*2 articles follow - although the 2nd one is dated, the historical
background is significant - ed.*/

https://www.rt.com/news/449660-people-disappear-marzieh-hashemi-interview/

  ‘How many people just disappear?’ Iranian journalist recalls arrest &
  questioning by FBI

The US-born Iranian journalist snatched up by the FBI and held for 10
days without charges gave an exclusive interview to RT about how
fortunate she feels to make it out alive – and how things could have
easily gone differently.

/“What I realize is how easy it is for them to make someone disappear.
If [my son] was not there, anything could have happened to me and no one
would have known where I was. And I’m just wondering how many people
that this happens to,”/ PressTV journalist Marzieh Hashemi told RT's
Afshin Rattansi in an exclusive interview.

At one point during her detention, she was even placed on suicide watch
– a fact she only discovered afterwards, from another prisoner./“It
concerned me, because I’m thinking maybe they have something up their
sleeves here.”/ She was not allowed to contact anyone for the first 48
hours of her imprisonment.

/“It’s mind-boggling that you can be arrested, detained, shackled, not
charged with a crime, and I definitely saw it firsthand,”/ she said,
encouraging supporters to take action to /“demand an end to this type of
activity.”/ Hashemi’s ordeal sparked protests in the US and at UN
offices in Tehran, and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif accused US
authorities of racism in their mistreatment of the journalist.

Hashemi was arrested by FBI agents earlier this month at St. Louis’
Lambert International Airport and flown via private plane to Washington
DC, where she was detained under an obscure, little-used law that allows
authorities to arrest a material witness in grand jury proceedings.
After testifying on Wednesday at Washington DC District Court with her
son, she was released. Two of her other children have also been
subpoenaed to testify in the unspecified case.

Born Melanie Franklin in New Orleans, Hashemi converted to Islam in 1979
after the Islamic Revolution in Iran and changed her name upon moving
there permanently in 2008. She is one of the most recognized news
anchors on the English-language Iranian state TV network.

*Tune in on Saturday, February 26, to watch the full interview with
Marzeih Hashemi in Going Underground.
<https://www.rt.com/shows/going-underground/>*

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/25/arrest-of-marzieh-hashemi-reveals-bipartisan-nature-of-police-state/

  Arrest of Marzieh Hashemi Reveals Bipartisan Nature of Police State

by Ajamu Baraka <https://www.counterpunch.org/author/cuxere/> - January
25, 2019

Arresting PressTV’s Marzieh Hashemi on no criminal charges demonstrates
by any objective measure the United States operates as a rogue state in
its utter contempt for accepted international human-rights law and
standards.

Hashemi, an African American mother and grandmother converted to Islam,
moved to Iran more than 25 years ago. She has become an internationally
recognized journalist as a result of her press and media work in Iran,
but specifically with her work on PressTV, an outlet that—like the
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in the United Kingdom—receives
most of its support from the Iranian government.

Hashemi flew to the United States to visit an ailing brother and to
complete a documentary on the Black Lives Matter movement. She was
working on this film when she was detained by the Federal Bureau of
Investigations (FBI) in Saint Louis. For two days, her family had no
information on what had happened to her. When she was finally allowed to
communicate with her children, they were horrified to learn that she had
been disappeared by the FBI and moved to a detention center in
Washington, D.C., where she was subjected to degrading treatment,
including the forcible confiscation of her hijab, constant surveillance,
disrespecting her halal diet as required of her adopted faith by feeding
her animal products, and not informing her as to why she was being detained.

Over the course of some days, it was revealed that Hashemi was being
detained either under the authority of the vague and sweeping new laws
passed by the U.S. Congress that has given the president the power to
indefinitely detain, disappear, and even murder citizens— or a dramatic
and unprecedented use of the material witness statute.

*The Strengthening of the Police State has Been a Bipartisan Affair*

The arrest and imprisonment of journalists—publishers of “dangerous”
materials—used to be actions associated in the popular imagination with
“illiberal” states in the Global South. But with the current economic,
political and ideological crisis in the West, the superficiality of the
West’s commitment to “liberal” human rights and its rule of law has been
revealed to the world over the last decade and a half.

The Patriot Act was the first in a series of repressive legislation
passed just a few days after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. This ominous
development intensified the process of destroying any legal protection
of human rights, which is recognized as fundamental to any democratic
state and the international order.

Built on the foundations of law that saw the erosion of habeas corpus
during the Clinton administration, the act provided the mechanisms for
the objective elimination of prohibitions by the state against unlawful,
unreasonable searches and seizures and due process.

The expansion of repressive state power continued and even quickened
during the Obama years. After ensuring impunity for Bush officials who
were involved in authorizing torture and disproportionate military force
in the execution of the war crimes of the United States in Iraq and
Afghanistan, the Obama administration authorized indefinite detentions
and military trials with Executive Order 13567.

But while that order gave the military more latitude to target
non-citizens and deprive them of their rights, another question emerged:
What would the U.S. government do with U.S. citizens working with “enemy
states” and movements. That was resolved in 2012, with the National
Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). It provided the legal authority to
indefinitely detain anyone—including U.S. citizens—holding them on
suspicions, hearsay, secret evidence, or no evidence at all in the
United States or abroad.

And of course, we know detaining U.S citizens was not the most dangerous
element of these new powers. Obama demonstrated a U.S. president could
murder U.S. citizens—even a 16-year-old named Abdulrahman al-Awlaki—and
get away with it.
<https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/how-team-obama-justifies-the-killing-of-a-16-year-old-american/264028/>

Abdulrahman’s father, Anwan, was murdered by the Obama administration
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/13/in-the-shadow-of-death-on-the-killing-of-nawar-al-awlaki/>
a few weeks earlier. Obama said adding Anwar al-Awlaki to his weekly
kill list was an easy task for him. When gently asked by the corporate
media about Anwar al-Awlaki’s due process under the constitution, an
Obama spokesperson stated it had given him due process, a process not
taken to the court but conducted within the executive!

Marzieh’s detention violates protection theoretically offered by the
U.S. Constitution’s Fourth Amendment that prohibits “unreasonable
searches and seizures”; the Fifth Amendment that affirms the right of
“due process of law” in any proceeding that denies a citizen “life,
liberty or property”; and the Eighth Amendment that prohibits “cruel and
unusual punishments”—what Marzieh has been subjected to daily.

It is not even necessary to spend much time on the U.S. constitutional
violations since it is clear that even the Bill of Rights don’t provide
protections when you have been designated an enemy of the state.

Like any other rogue state, the United States determines its law
supersedes international law. The United States signed and ratified just
three of the main human-rights treaties, with the International Covenant
on Civil and Political Rights being one of them. The United States is
theoretically obligated to adhere to it. It says quite clearly in
Article 9 that everyone has “the right to liberty and security of
person” and “no one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention.”

*Hashemi is Being Punished As a “Runaway Slave” *

_Reuters
<https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-tvanchor/u-s-born-iranian-tv-anchors-arrest-confirmed-by-u-s-court-idUSKCN1PC2H9>
_cited an unnamed U.S. federal source, saying PressTV is being
investigated as an Iranian “propaganda outlet.”

But even with it increasingly becoming clear that Press TV is the
target, it is also evident, according to _Stanley Cohen,
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/22/the-brazen-detention-of-marzieh-hashemi-americas-newest-political-prisoner/>_that
the state is using the material witness statute in a very creative way
to deny Marzieh her freedom.

There is no reason for Marzieh to be detained. With family in the United
States and travel documents that could theoretically be seized if the
state was really concerned she would not appear before a grand jury, the
only reason she is being held captive is to once again demonstrate how a
runaway slave is treated.

Iranian _Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif
<https://www.presstv.com/Detail/201/01/22/586496/Marzieh-Hashemi-Press-TV-Swiss-ambassador-US-detention>
_said on Monday the detention of the PressTV anchorwoman proves the
United States is still violating the rights of Black people.

He is correct.

On Wednesday, 23 individuals who make up a grand jury will be making a
decision about Hashemi’s fate, according to her son Hussein. Her
association with PressTV has put her in the crosshairs of the U.S. state.

For unknown reasons, she has now been moved into solitary confinement,
according to her son.

But we, the colonized, the inhabitants of the zones of non-being, we who
have no human rights—we understand.

To have the audacity to leave the plantation that is the United States
and seek a home in a nation the United States considers an enemy state
is an offense that requires an extraordinary demonstration of white
colonial power. This boldness may inspire others on the plantation to
attempt to strike out for freedom. This is not even new. The state
doubled the bounty on Assata Shakur to $2 million on the watch of its
first HNIC because, after all, they are the ones really in charge. Yeah,
we get it, if others don’t. The message is clear—this is our nigger and
we will do with her what we want.

So:

    “Today Marzieh Hashemi sits alone. Isolated and entombed deep in a
    government catacomb, she stands charged with no offense but in the
    eyes of this administration guilty as charged . . . a Muslim, a
    journalist, and a U.S. ex-pat who has found shelter from its storm
    in Iran.”

But she is not alone. We will stand with Marzieh and give her voice when
she has none. We are not afraid, even though we know we are next. Our
people have endured this and more and will endure even more before this
nightmare that is U.S. settler-colonialism is over. And unlike Dr. King,
when our people and the people of the world emerge on the other side of
freedom, we will not thank god for our freedom, but ourselves.

/*Ajamu Baraka* is the national organizer of the Black Alliance for
Peace and was the 2016 candidate for vice president on the Green Party
ticket. He is an editor and contributing columnist for the Black Agenda
Report and contributing columnist for Counterpunch magazine. /