[Pnews] It’s Chelsea Manning’s Birthday, Demand Her Freedom Now!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 17 13:53:19 EST 2019

https://rightsanddissent.salsalabs.org/chelseamanningbday?wvpId=2a5e827b-6f2f-4e20-b8d5-9a6637ea1a71

  It’s Chelsea Manning’s Birthday, Demand Her Freedom Now!

*December 17, 2019
*

Today is Chelsea Manning’s birthday. She is spending it yet again behind
bars. *We need you to demand her freedom now.
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tdea962a7-806a-4b8e-a9ae-95fc4450e73b/2a5e827b-6f2f-4e20-b8d5-9a6637ea1a71>*

Chelsea blew the whistle on US government human rights abuses. She
exposed earth-shattering information, shining a spotlight on the horrors
of war
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T8c205bd7-85d4-43d1-ab6a-b90856ad3992/2a5e827b-6f2f-4e20-b8d5-9a6637ea1a71>.
/And the US government came after her with a vengeance/. She was
subjected to pretrial detention conditions condemned by the UN Special
Rapporteur on Torture and and Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading
Treatment or Punishment. Chelsea received an unprecedentedly long
sentence for giving information to the media. Thankfully, after the
mobilization of support from people like you, her sentence was commuted.

Now, Chelsea has been /back in jail for nine months, and faces nine
more/. Not because she has committed any crime, but because of her
conscientious objection to participating in a secretive, unjust grand
jury investigation into the publication of her 2010 disclosures.

*We’ve teamed up with our allies at Fight for the Future to demand
Chelsea’s freedom. Please sign the petition to Judge Trenga demanding
Chelsea Manning’s immediate release.
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tdc65a866-cc67-45d2-8a27-6c7f40fd167e/2a5e827b-6f2f-4e20-b8d5-9a6637ea1a71>*

Chelsea’s refusal to participate in this process is part of a long
history of resistance to grand juries, which are routinely used to
harass and entrap activists, journalists, and truth tellers. In a
shocking move, the judge in the case has imposed massive fines on
Chelsea, charging her $1,000 per day while the US government holds her
in confinement, ostensibly to convince her to agree to their demand that
she give testimony to the grand jury

*Chelsea has already served half of the 18 month maximum that the
government can hold her. She’s about to spend another birthday in a jail
cell. The US government has no legal justification for continuing to
imprison her. This must stop. Sign the petition now.
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T5f538051-127f-4b84-89b4-5e8e0e72bceb/2a5e827b-6f2f-4e20-b8d5-9a6637ea1a71>*

In Solidarity,

Chip Gibbons
Policy & Legislative Counsel