[Pnews] Statement on passing of Tom Manning- by Ray Luc Levasseur

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 1 12:52:56 EDT 2019

Tom Manning's death on July 30 has me in the grip of an emotional
riptide. I feel like part of me died with him.

Tom was imprisoned at USP-Hazelton, WV at the time of his death. The
ostensible cause of death, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons,
was a heart attack.

I received Tom's last letter on July 15. He wrote that he was in dire
circumstances, his medical needs treated with deliberate indifference,
delays in receiving necessary medication, his body weak from lack of
oxygen. Supporters scrambled to get a lawyer in to see him, but death
arrived first.

Tom battled the Bureau of Prisons criminal negligence of his medical
needs for the past 10 years, beginning when he almost died from an
untreated knee infection while at USP-Coleman, FL. As a result of that
infection, most of his knee was surgically removed and he was wheelchair
bound for the rest of his days.

But he was not through fighting.

When he arrived at FMC-Butner, NC for further medical treatment he was
kept in solitary confinement under abysmal conditions for 3 years.
Much-needed knee and shoulder surgeries were repeatedly delayed until
pressure from Tom's supporters forced the BOP to act. But the surgeries
came too late, and combined with the lack of necessary rehab insured
that Tom remained in a wheelchair.

Tom always had the warrior spirit, right to his last breath. Many more
like him, and the ruling class would tremble. The ache in my heart over
his passing will be forever.

In remembrance, I offer words I wrote in 2014 for Tom's book “For Love
and Liberty <https://freedomarchives.org/Tom%20Manning.html?wid=33028>,”
a collection of his paintings:

/“When Tom Manning and I first met 40 years ago, we were 27 years old
and veterans of mule jobs, the Viet Nam war, and fighting our way
through American prisons. We also harbored an intense hatred of
oppression and a burning desire to organize resistance./

//

/As members of a community action group called SCAR, we worked its
'survival programs' including a community bail fund, prison visitation
program, and a radical bookstore. The Red Star North bookstore drew the
venom of police – surveillance, harassment, raid and assault./

//

/Tom and I disappeared underground in the midst of this and COINTELPRO
revelations. We remained underground for near 10 years, much of it on
the FBI's ten most wanted list. We were tagged as 'terrorist' and
'extremely dangerous' because as 'members of a revolutionary group' we
used explosives against targets of empire: predators of apartheid South
Africa, Puerto Rico's colonialism, and the slaughter in Central America./

//

/We considered our work anti-terrorist. It was a time, you see, when
activists were killed, imprisoned, tortured and exiled. 'Winter in
America' as Gil Scott-Heron put it, and raging hell in El Salvador. It
was a time when the U.S. sub-contracted its terrorism and if you were on
the wrong end of it – you died./

//

/Sometimes when we met underground I noticed Tom sketched on scraps of
paper. I was impressed with how well he drew. I said to him – man, you
got talent, why not do landscapes, portraits, big pictures! His response
– no time for that, for our priority was taking down this wretched
system that disrespects and destroys life./

//

/The government's mandate is that Tom die in prison, as our comrade
Richard Williams did in 2005 after a long period of medical neglect and
solitary confinement./

//

/Tom has risen beyond the gulag's attempt to strip his humanity. You can
feel the dignity and spirit of resistance in his paintings. He is one of
those carrying heavy burdens, be they the 'sans-culottes' of the world,
a Haitian health care provider, or a victim of police bullets./

//

/Political prisoners do not exist in a vacuum. They emerge from
political and social conflicts. The ruling class and media attempt to
criminalize, demonize and marginalize these prisoners, because
recognition of political prisoners is de facto admission that serious
conflicts exist and remain unresolved./

//

/In 2006 an exhibit of Tom Manning's paintings – 'Can't Jail the Spirit'
– opened at the University of Southern Maine. Police organizations
throughout the Northeast conducted an intense 'shut it down' campaign.
The police were particularly disturbed with the characterization of Tom
as a 'political prisoner' and his painting of Assata Shakur on display.
When the police got to the university's corporate funders, the USM
president capitulated and the exhibit was ordered shut down. The
exhibit's supporters then carried Tom's paintings through the city
streets and rallied at Congress Square./

//

/'There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard,' reads
Psalm 19:3 and the gravestone of Black freedom fighters Jonathan and
George Jackson. Voice, through its many forms, articulates vision. Call
it subversive art, liberating art, art that challenges the
one-dimensional. Tom's art is a voice among the dispossessed that
transcends concrete and razor wire with an affirmation of life./

//

/The paintings of Tom Manning and American Indian Movement activist
Leonard Peltier; the creative work of Puerto Rican Independista Oscar
Lopez Rivera; the poetry of anti-imperialist Marilyn Buck, which lives
on; and the Earth defender poems of Marius Mason; the spoken word of
Mumia Abu-Jamal and Mutulu Shakur. They are the voices of our political
prisoners, principled and honorable men and women who communicate from
isolation and suffering./

//

/We must not let their voices be suppressed. They need to be heard and
celebrated by freedom loving people everywhere.”/

I extend deep gratitude to all those who provided some measure of
support and solidarity to Tom during his 34 years in prison.

With Tom's passing, Jaan Laaman remains the sole United Freedom Front
prisoner. It's time to bring Jaan home.

FREE ALL OUR POLITICAL PRISONERS

Ray Luc Levasseur

Black August