[Pnews] September 14th, Call In Day Against New Pennsylvania DOC Policies, Respect Prisoners' Rights

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 12 10:29:47 EDT 2018

    https://www.facebook.com/events/2306758956005565/?notif_t=plan_user_invited&notif_id=1536717952368103

    September 14th

    Call In Day Against New DOC Policies, Respect Prisoners' Rights

On September 5th DOC Secretary John Wetzel and Governor Wolf announced a
number of new punitive DOC policies that will impinge on prisoner’s
rights and those of their families. Governor Wolf and the Department of
Corrections want to censor and restrict books, increase surveillance of
prisoners mail, violate attorney-client privilege and institute cruel,
restrictive visiting room policies which violate the American
Disabilities Act and further discourage contact between prisoners, their
loved ones and those professionals who work with them. On Friday,
September 14th we are getting mobilized. JOIN US AS CALL ON OUR ELECTED
OFFICIALS TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND CANCEL THESE PUNITIVE POLICIES.

We are asking everyone to make FIVE calls: Governor Wolf, Your State
Senator, Your State Representative, Lt. Governor Candidate (and Gov.
Wolf’s Running Mate) John Fetterman and DOC Secretary Wetzel. If you are
limited by time that is ok, but lets make as many of these calls as we
can. Our elected officials (and aspiring elected officials need to hear
from us.) A sample call script and call in numbers are below:

Governor Wolf: 717-787-2500
Lt. Governor Candidate John Fetterman (currently Mayor of Braddock)-
412-654-4041 (Phone Number to the Mayor’s Office)
Your State Representative and Your Senator
Senator:http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.legis.state.pa.us%2Fcfdocs%2Flegis%2Fhome%2Ffindyourlegislator%2F&h=AT26VwBm9J-cL0Uad6VIksLwjSzQz5B4r02Yn6aOuc5VNENHaDc2zOGKUn_wwOMYhX8nuqoXk-U7foJgsUY4AeTPoz4MGgcctMlkmM7a66Z83RSUT1zHm4v92axB0YAzl_zuPWV3ZXc--rG9CD6xMbnwYQ>
DOC Secretary Wetzel: (717) 728-2573

“Hi. My name is _________ and I’m calling to speak about the new DOC
policies which will violate the rights of incarcerated people and their
families.

I am calling because I’d like [Gov. Wolf/Lt. Governor Candidate
Fetterman/Representative So and So/Etc.] to take action to see that
these policies are cancelled and that the rights of incarcerated people
and their families are respected.

These new policies will violate people’s rights in a number of ways. I
would like to tell you about some issues with them. Under the new policies:

-all mail must now be sent to a private company in Florida where it will
be scanned into a permanent searchable database increasing surveillance
on prisoners and their families. The original will be destroyed and a
copy will be sent on. No longer will incarcerated people be able to
touch a letter that their loved ones wrote with their own hand.

-All legal mail will be copied by DOC employees exposing it to be read
in violation of attorney-client privilege.

-A DOC controlled marketplace for books will be established which is a
monopoly and will increase censorship. No longer will prisoners friends
and families be able to order them books from approved vendors such as
Amazon. Community based and faith based books to prisoners programs will
be cancelled.

-For 90 days prisoners and their families won’t be able to share food
from vending machines or memorialize their visits by having pictures
taken. Small children cannot go a full visit without access to food.
Furthermore diabetics and people who cant go without food for a full
visit will be limited in visiting in violation of the Americans with
Disabilities Act.

-Official and legal visitors will be required to wear plastic gloves on
visits. This serves no public health purpose and sends a message that
people in prison and their families are contaminated or toxic and is
extremely dehumanizing.

-These and other policies will cost taxpayers 15 million dollars. They
were instituted overnight without oversight by the legislature.

I am calling on you as an elected official to take action to see that
the rights of incarcerated people, their families and those work work
with them are respected. Can I count on you to take action to see that
these policies are reversed?”