[Pnews] California protest demands ‘End solitary confinement!’

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 12 10:21:53 EDT 2018

https://themilitant.com/2018/09/08/california-protest-demands-end-solitary-confinement/

  California protest demands ‘End solitary confinement!’

*By Betsey Stone*-
<https://themilitant.com/issues/vol-82-no-34/>September 17, 2018
Supporters of the fight to end solitary confinement of inmates in
California state prisons rallied outside the federal courthouse here
Aug. 21. Their action was in solidarity with four prisoners — Todd
Ashker, Arturo Castellanos, George Franco and Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa —
who have helped lead the ongoing struggle against the barbaric policy.
They were in a court-ordered meeting with representatives of the
California Department of Corrections inside the building.

The four were central leaders of hunger strikes and protests that grew
to include 30,000 prisoners at the high point in 2013. These actions put
a national spotlight on the abuse of thousands of prisoners held, some
for decades, with little human contact in 8- by 10-foot windowless
Security Housing Unit cells known as the SHU.

The four were also plaintiffs in a suit — Ashker vs. Governor of
California — that won an end to indeterminate-length sentences to
solitary confinement in California and the release of over 1,400
prisoners from the SHU.

Despite the success of moving some to general population units, the
fight is far from over. Many of those released from the SHU have been
transferred to extremely restrictive conditions in Level IV prisons or
in Restricted Custody General Population Units, which have conditions
markedly similar to that in the SHU.

“Our fight is against solitary confinement, no matter what they call it
or what forms it takes,” Marie Levin, sister of Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa,
told rally participants. She pointed to a giant banner held by
protesters saying, “END ALL FORMS OF SOLITARY CONFINEMENT.”

Letters from prisoners held in Level IV and Restricted Custody Units
were read aloud, describing the denial of social interaction with fellow
prisoners and lack of educational and job-training programs.

Anne Weills, an attorney in the lawsuit, said the prisoner
representatives are demanding Todd Ashker, who was thrown back in
isolation after being held for over three decades in solitary in the SHU
at Pelican Bay, be released to the general population.

Jamaa and other veterans of the struggle have also experienced
retaliation, including being returned to solitary on trumped-up charges.
These frame-ups and isolation are aimed at “our peaceful efforts to
effect genuine changes,” Jamaa wrote in an article run March 26 in the
/San Francisco Bay View./

Ashker v. Governor of California was filed in 2012 by the inmates with
attorneys from the Center for Constitutional Rights. After the hunger
strikes, state prison officials settled on Sept. 1, 2015. The results
are monitored by Judge Claudia Wilken of the Northern District Court.

In July, Wilken ruled that California prison authorities were not
complying with the settlement and ordered the meeting held Aug. 21.

Any gains won in this fight are due to the conduct of the prisoners
themselves, said Laura Magnani, an activist with the Prisoner Hunger
Strike Solidarity Coalition, which organized the protest “to their
vision, courage, and persistence.”

Fundamental to this has been the unity between prisoners of different
races and origins forged in the struggle. “Our current collective
movement began in the bowels of Pelican Bay State Prison — SHU — Short
Corridor, wherein prisoners of all races and various geographical areas
became openly conscious of what we had in common — rather than what was
different (divisive),” Ashker wrote last year.

In 2012, the Short Corridor Collective released an “Agreement to End
Race-Based Hostilities” that called for an end to violence among
prisoners. Ashker said the prison authorities’ efforts to pit prisoners
against each other was “the source of our mutual adversary’s
manipulation tactics — centered on keeping us divided and violent
towards one another.”

“We must stand together not only for ourselves, but for future
generations of prisoners,” the four prisoners said in a joint statement
in 2017 reaffirming the agreement, “so that they don’t have to go
through the years of torture we had to.”

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/