[Pnews] Urgent Action: Help Free Palestinian Human Rights Defender Khalida Jarrar

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 29 10:49:18 EDT 2018

Addameer Newsletter

On 25 October 2018, we received word that Khalida Jarrar’s
administrative detention order would be renewed for an additional four
months. This news is heartbreaking and devastating, but not out of the
ordinary. Her confirmation hearing will be held in the coming week. The
new order is to extend her detainment by a further four months, meaning
that it would expire 28 February 2019.

This would mean that Khalida had been held in prison, without charge or
trial, for 20 months as this is the fourth detention order for her.

As we previously have said, Khalida is a fearless human rights defender
who has committed herself to utilize all the legal tools available to
realize the basic rights of the Palestinian people.

In the occupied Palestinian West Bank, the Israeli army is authorized to
issue administrative detention orders against Palestinian civilians on
the basis of Military Order 1651. This order empowers military
commanders to detain an individual for up to six-month renewable periods
if they have “reasonable grounds to presume that the security of the
area or public security requires the detention.” On or just before the
expiry date, the detention order is frequently renewed. This process can
be continued indefinitely.

This practice of arbitrary detention is a grave violation of
international laws and human rights standards, particularly articles 78
and 72 of the Fourth Geneva Convention which state that an accused
individual has the right to defend him/herself. This also violates
Article 66 of the Fourth Geneva Convention and the basic standards of
fair trial.

Addameer believes Jarrar's detention violates international fair trial
standards since administrative detention orders are based on secret
information. Therefore, her legal representatives are unable to fully
address the prosecution’s argument, which asserts that Jarrar poses a
security threat.

The boycott of court proceedings regarding administrative detention is
ongoing, and Khalida is an important part of these activities. Thus,
when the court date is set for the confirmation of her renewal, she will
not be in attendance. Regardless, it is of the utmost importance that we
do everything possible to push the occupation authorities to not confirm
her administrative detention order. She is an honest, principled and
committed human rights defender, and is deserving of all the support
that we can provide.

*_How you can help_*

So, there is a number of ways that international supporters can assist
Khalida:

1. */Contact decision makers directly/*

Listed below are the contact details for the relevant decision makers.
Please, take a minute out of your day, and reach out directly to them to
urge them to release Khalida.

2. */Contact your own representatives/*

No matter what country you are from, if you have access to your
representatives, please contact them directly about the issue. Pressure
is built by pressing on those who will listen and have them pass the
message up the chain of decisions makers. The only way to do so is to
have a sufficient amount of people reach out and express a desire that
your government act on the issue.

3. */Organize a solidarity activity/*

This doesn’t have to mean organize a protest or take to the streets. You
can raise awareness about the issue with the showing of a film, a
discussion panel, or even by setting up a stall at a local market. Get
creative with the means, but the goal is to educate and to engage.

More than ever, we hope that global supporters can engage and assist in
the plight of Palestinian prisoners. We have seen 70 years of inaction
and disinterest from primary decision makers; the responsibility is now
ours. If you need any support with this, please don’t hesitate to
contact us at info at addameer.ps <mailto:info at addameer.ps>.

*Minister of Defense*

Avigdor Liberman

Ministry of Defense

37 Kaplan Street

Hakirya

Tel Aviv 61909, Israel

Fax: +972 73 323 3300 <tel:+972%2073-323-3300>

Email: minister at mod.gov.il <mailto:minister at mod.gov.il>

Email: pniot at mod.gov.il
<mailto:pniot at mod.gov.il?subject=%D7%A4%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%94%20%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%AA%D7%A8%20gov.il%20%20Ministry%20of%20Defense>

*Attorney General*

Avichai Mendelbilt

Ministry of Justice

29 Salah al-Din Street

Jerusalem 91010, Israel

Fax: +972 2 530 3367 <tel:+972%202-530-3367>

Email: ishkat-yoetz at justice.gov.il <mailto:ishkat-yoetz at justice.gov.il>

*Military Judge Advocate General*

Brigadier General Sharon Afek

Hakirya, Tel Aviv, Israel

Fax: +972 3 569 4526 <tel:+972%203-569-4526>

Email: Mag at idf.gov.il <mailto:Mag at idf.gov.il>

*Commander of the IOF – West Bank*

Major-General Roni Numa

GOC Central Command

Military Post 01149, Battalion 877

Israel Defense Forces, Israel

Fax: +972 2 530 5741 <tel:+972%202-530-5741>, +972 2 530 5724
<tel:+972%202-530-5724>

*Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu*

Prime Minister's Office

Jerusalem
3 Kaplan St. Hakirya

91950

Fax: +972 <tel:+972%202-530-5724>-2-6496659

Email: bnetanyahu at KNESSET.GOV.IL <mailto:bnetanyahu at KNESSET.GOV.IL>

/Dear __,/

/I write today to demand the immediate release of the Palestinian
Legislative Council member Khalida Jarrar, who has been under
administrative detention since June 2017./

/Khalida Jarrar has been imprisoned since 2 July 2017 without charge or
trial. Her administrative detention order runs the risk of being renewed
on 30 June 2018. Khalida has been held in Administrative Detention on a
separate occasion in 2015, prior to being sentenced to 15 months
imprisonment by an Israeli Military Court. Following international
pressure, she was released in June 2016. Since July 2017, she has had
her administrative detention renewed once./

/I demand the immediate release of Khalida Jarrar and an end to the
administrative detention policy which is on the basis of so-called
secret information. This is an attempt to prevent PLC members and human
rights advocates, such as Khalida Jarrar, from dedicating their lives to
achieving basic dignity for Palestinians. Her continued detention is
arbitrary and unjust, and I demand her immediate freedom. /

/Sincerely,/

*Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association*

P. O. Box: 17338, Jerusalem
3 Edward Said Street
Sebat Bldg.
1st Floor, Suite 2