[Pnews] Comrade Malik: I am nearly at my breaking point! Please intervene!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 23 13:31:43 EDT 2018

http://sfbayview.com/2018/10/comrade-malik-i-am-nearly-at-my-breaking-point-please-intervene/

  Comrade Malik: I am nearly at my breaking point! Please intervene!

October 23, 2018

*/by Keith ‘Malik’ Washington/*

Peace and blessings, Sisters and Brothers!

I woke up this morning and went to outside recreation. Before being
escorted to rec, the officers came to my cell with a male sergeant named
Espinoza. He had the video cam-corder in his hand and I was asked to
submit to a strip search. I complied. These strip searches are
humiliating and degrading!

TDCJ has me classified as a “High Profile Inmate,” but no one here has
actually told me why I have been placed on high profile status. The only
reasons I’ve been given is “you have lawsuits.” However, this supports
my argument that the prison agency TDCJ has been retaliating against me
for accessing the courts.

Last year I won a civil lawsuit when I challenged TDCJ’s
unconstitutional beard and religious headgear policy. While I was
litigating that suit I was not subjected to this humiliating treatment.
So why now? Why the video camera?

      TDCJ has me classified as a “High Profile Inmate,” but no one here
      has actually told me why I have been placed on high profile status.

After my recreation time in a cement box cage, a female sergeant named
Dorian Garza shows up with the cam-corder. I ask to speak with her
before I am ordered to strip naked. I explain to her that I am a devout
Muslim and it goes against everything I believe for me to strip naked in
front of a woman who is not my wife, but the extra indignity of
stripping naked while she films me is more than I can bear.

Sgt. Garza agrees. She orders her officers to strip me and after they
are done she returns with the cam-corder to film me. I am taken to my
cell in order to pick up my shower items – towel, face cloth, soap,
shampoo and shower shoes. I tell Sgt. Garza that I’ll be five minutes.

However, I am left in the shower for an hour. While in the shower Lt.
Javier Muro conducts a search of my cell. He takes my mostly “state”
items, extra necessities. He leaves me with only one sheet, takes down
my clothes line – no big deal. But there is an underlying issue here on
this unit and Lt. Javier Muro has established a pattern of attempting to
harass and intimidate Muslim prisoners.

      It goes against everything I believe for me to strip naked in
      front of a woman who is not my wife, but the extra indignity of
      stripping naked while she films me is more than I can bear.

Up to this point I’ve been silent on this topic, just watching and
waiting. Nevertheless, these ongoing strip searches coupled with the
fact that a Muslim I’ve known for 10 years reached out to me for help
has pushed me over the edge.

      There is an underlying issue here on this unit and Lt. Javier Muro
      has established a pattern of attempting to harass and intimidate
      Muslim prisoners.

I am requesting an organized response here. I want at least 1,000 free
world friends to contact Texas Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr., TDCJ Executive
Director Bryan Collier and Texas Rep. James White and ask them specific
questions. And this time, sisters and brothers, we must demand answers
and solutions to these issues.

Please, I really need your help on this:

  * Why did TDCJ state classification committee member Kelly Enloe
    approve of my release from Ad Seg yet I have been returned to Ad Seg
    with no excuse?
  * What was the reason for dismissing me from the Ad Seg Transition
    Program?
  * Upon arrival at the McConnell Unit why have I been classified as a
    “High Profile Inmate”? What behavior or historical data is TDCJ
    using to justify the humiliating strip searches with cam-corder?
  * Does TDCJ train their officers to be tolerant and respectful of
    prisoners who practice Islam or follow the Judaic faith? Does the
    agency monitor instances of religious discrimination and harassment
    of the prisoners?

Sisters and brothers, I have never ever been “the boy who cried wolf.” I
am known throughout the nation and even in some parts of Europe as being
a truthful and respected authority on the conditions inside Texas prisons.

There is a Muslim here on McConnell Unit named Phrory Gamble (TDC
#1426500). His Muslim name is Abdur-Razzaq and he has been on hunger
strike for a couple weeks. I was just notified two days ago. Something
is wrong. I’ve known this brother for nearly 10 years and he is not
someone who engages anything like a hunger strike unless something is
extremely wrong.

      These ongoing strip searches coupled with the fact that a Muslim
      I’ve known for 10 years reached out to me for help has pushed me
      over the edge.

The name that keeps popping up is Lt. Javier Muro. The McConnell Unit
has recently been placed on what I believe is semi-annual lockdown, so
we need some concerned citizens to call up here immediately and talk to
Senior Warden Phillip Sinfuentes in order to ascertain what the problem
is. McConnell’s phone number is 361-362-2300.

I also suggest all of you contact the TDCJ Ombudsman as well as TDCJ’s
CID Division and request statements be obtained directly from Phrory
Gamble and myself in order to get a true grasp of the situation here.

I always say that the best antiseptic for injustice is sunlight. TDCJ
has been doing a lot of dirt in the dark for far too long. We need media
exposure.

      I always say that the best antiseptic for injustice is sunlight.
      TDCJ has been doing a lot of dirt in the dark for far too long. We
      need media exposure.

      *An update on other matters*

Before I close, I’d like to provide an update on sexual harassment of
female officers who work at the Eastham Unit in Lovelady, Texas. While
at Eastham, I noticed Major Blake Norman exhibiting perverted behavior
toward female subordinates. He was also a hater of Muslims.

Well, sisters and brothers, the chickens have finally come home to
roost. Major Blake Norman was demoted to the rank of sergeant and
transferred. Norman had a big influence on me being sent to this hell
hole in Beeville, TX. Hopefully he will learn to respect all women.
Karma is real. Hell yeah.

Dare to struggle, dare to win! All power to the people!

/Keith “Malik” Washington is a co-founder and chief spokesperson for the
End Prison Slavery in Texas Movement, a proud member of the Incarcerated
Workers Organizing Committee and deputy chairman of the New Afrikan
Black Panther Party Prison Chapter. Malik has been instrumental in
calling for the abolition of legalized slavery in Amerika and is very
active in the Fight Toxic Prisons campaign. You can view his work
at//comrademalik.com/ <http://comrademalik.com/>/or you write him at
Keith H. Washington, 1487958, McConnell Unit, 3001 S. Emily Drive,
Beeville, TX 78102./