[Pnews] Kevin “Rashid” Johnson transferred to Sussex II Prison; his life in danger, he urgently needs our support

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 22 12:12:45 EDT 2018

sfbayview.com
<http://sfbayview.com/2018/10/rashid-transferred-to-sussex-ii-prison/>

  Rashid transferred to Sussex II Prison; his life in danger, he
  urgently needs our support

5-6 minutes

*/by Dustin McDaniel, Abolitionist Law Center/*

Dear Rashid supporters:

Rashid wasn’t transferred out of state; instead, he was transferred to
Sussex II, another Virginia prison. He has been put under
extraordinarily bad conditions, and we need everyone who can to start
calling into that prison to make demands on his behalf.

The focus should be on his medical emergency, described below. He needs
to be taken to medical to have his blood pressure checked and in order
for any adjustments to be made to his medications.

The Warden at Sussex II is Beth Cabell. The phone number is
804-834-2678. Please call and if you can’t get Cabell on the phone, ask
to speak with her assistant or with Assistant Warden Darden.

We’ll also need someone to put together an action alert to be
disseminated more broadly to apply pressure on VADOC throughout the next
week or two.

Rashid was able to get a legal call to me this morning. This is what he
reports:

On arriving at Sussex II, he was greeted with attack dogs lunging at him
while he was fully chained up. He is being served meals on a rubber mat,
without utensils and with no cups, so he is being made to eat with his
hands. He was placed in a filthy cell that has blood in the toilet.
There is no toilet paper or other hygiene products for him to clean
himself with. He is currently refusing meals because he is being
presented with the choice of eating like an animal in filthy conditions
where he cannot clean himself.

      We need everyone who can to start calling into that prison to make
      demands on his behalf. The focus should be on his medical
      emergency. The Warden at Sussex II is Beth Cabell. The phone
      number is 804-834-2678. Please call and if you can’t get Cabell on
      the phone, ask to speak with her assistant or with Assistant
      Warden Darden.

He is in his cell 24 hours per day. He is being refused any recreational
time. He has a guard standing sentry in front of his cell door 24 hours
a day. All staff have been instructed not to speak to him and, with the
exception of brief conversations with the warden and a nurse, they are
following through on that.

Rashid’s magnificent drawing and writing inspires us to honor and
protect leaders of the movement. This was drawn over a decade ago. Now
Rashid himself is among our most effective leaders, and we must protect
him! It appears that the rage by prisoncrats against the National Prison
Strike is being taken out on him. – Art: Kevin “Rashid” Johnson,
1007485, Sussex II SP, 24427 Musselwhite Drive, Waverly, VA 23891.

About two or three cells on either side of his cell are being kept empty
so he can’t communicate with other prisoners. They placed a sandbag in
front of his cell door so he can’t send kites. He has not been let out
of his cell since arriving yesterday. When he eventually does leave his
cell, he will be required to have a four-guard escort along with a
supervisor.

He was not given his blood pressure medications last night. He began
having a headache at that time and repeatedly asked a Sgt. Morse for
medical assistance. When he woke up around 4:30 a.m. he had a severe
nose bleed, and again repeatedly requested medical attention from the
guard posted in front of his cell. He was ignored. When he requested
forms to file an emergency grievance he was told that he was not allowed
to have the forms, and that he was not allowed to have ink pens to write
with.

A nurse Burgess came by his cell on rounds at about 5:30 a.m. and gave
him his first dose of medication. She said that with his symptoms and
diagnosis he should be sent to medical for evaluation, but the guards
refused to allow it. She went back to talk to her supervisor and was
told that security would have to arrange to move him. Security never
made those arrangements, and so Rashid is stuck in his cell without
anyone monitoring his blood pressure or adjusting his medications while
he’s having a high blood pressure episode that could lead to a stroke.

He has been presented with no disciplinary reports since being placed
back in the Virginia Department of Corrections. He suspects that, while
at Sussex I, VADOC (Virginia Department of Corrections) security
personnel arranged for him to be put in a holding area with a prisoner
with a psychiatric disability who was setup to tell lies about Rashid
regarding gangs and a plan to hurt a guard. This happened just before he
was told about an impending hearing for an interstate transfer.

      Rashid is stuck in his cell without anyone monitoring his blood
      pressure or adjusting his medications while he’s having a high
      blood pressure episode that could lead to a stroke.

He also says that he’d sent four articles for publication, which have
never arrived and would have included writings about the use of dogs to
abuse Virginia prisoners, an article about the abuse of prisoners named
Nico William and Vernon Belcher (sic?), and an article about Party issues.

/Dustin McDaniel is the executive director of ALC, a licensed attorney
in Pennsylvania and a 2012 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh
School of Law. He can be reached at //exec at alcenter.org/
<mailto:exec at alcenter.org>/./