[Pnews] PA prisoner on the new policy restricting access to publications, prohibits actual photos, drawings, or letters

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 12 17:07:13 EDT 2018

In this hyper-connected world of emails, video chats, tweets, and text
messages, who cares about snail mail? In a world of Facebook, Instagram
and Snapchat, who cares about actual photos and drawings? In a world
where publications are heavily focused on their online presence, who
cares about actual books, magazines, newspapers and journals? The
answer: prisoners, their families and friends. We are caged, exiled and
denied internet access. Many of our families and friends are unable to
travel the hundreds of miles necessary to visit us. We are dependent
upon letters to stay in touch. We are dependent upon photos to see our
children grow. We are dependent upon actual books, magazine, newspapers
and journals to learn about the world.

Until August, we would dash from the afternoon yard and toward our cells
hoping to find envelopes, magazines, newspapers or books scattered on
the floor- confirmation that mail rounds had been done. Mail was our
connection to families and friends. Mail was a pathway to education and
rehabilitation. Mail was an avenue to growth and change. We looked
forward to it.

In September, the PA DOC, enacted a new mail policy that severely
restricts access to publications and prohibits actual photos, drawings
or letters. In order to read, prisoners must purchase $155 tablets to
access ebooks that cost $3 to $27. We earn .19 an hour working 4 to 6
hour shifts, five days a week. Our wages and thîs policy constructively
restrict us from reading. Can you imagine a world in which you could not
read or look at pictures? Imagine not being able to receive a drawing
from your child or their report card showing how well they're doing in
school? This is our world now: the world of 50,000 prisoners in
Pennsylvania.

We ask that you support our efforts to overturn this onerous policy. We
can't do it alone. Reading is a path to rehabilitation and a connection
to the outside world. Don't allow the PA DOC to obstruct our efforts to
grow.

In solidarity,

Stevie

Send Stevie love and light:

Smart Communications
PA DOC
Stephen Wilson
LB8480
P.O. Box 33028
St. Petersburg, FL 33733

--

Dan Berger
/Rethinking the American Prison Movement/