[Pnews] Paper Mail Still Matters to People Behind Bars

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 11 10:40:10 EDT 2018

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-08/paper-mail-still-matters-to-people-behind-bars

  Paper Mail Still Matters to People Behind Bars

By Victoria Law - October 8, 2018

*Pennsylvania’s prisons have started digitizing letters, to prisoners’
chagrin. *

October 8, 2018, 3:00 AM PDT

Mail call on Thursday, Sept. 13, was different from any other in Sheena
King’s 26 years behind bars. As usual, the unit officer came to her
door. But instead of handing her an envelope with a letter inside, he
handed her four photocopied pages stapled together. “The first page is a
copy of the front of your envelope,” King wrote in response to emailed
questions from /Bloomberg Businessweek/. “The second is a copy of the
back. The third page is blank and appears to be a copy of the back of
your letter. The last page is the actual letter.”

A sample of King’s photocopied mail.

Source: Sheena King

On Sept. 5, Pennsylvania became the first state in the U.S. to eliminate
personal mail in its prison system. The policy means that its prisoners
can no longer receive birthday cards, handwritten notes from Grandma, or
drawings from their children. Instead, their families send mail to the
offices of Smart Communications U.S. Inc.
<https://smartcommunications.us/> in St. Petersburg, Fla., where, says
Chief Executive Officer Jon Logan, employees inspect each piece of
correspondence before converting it into a searchable electronic
document. The company sends the digital files to the Pennsylvania
Department of Corrections <https://www.cor.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx>,
where prison officials can review the contents before delivering them as
black-and-white printouts to their intended recipients. Each piece of
correspondence becomes part of a searchable database, guaranteeing
prison officials perpetual access, even years after the recipients have
been released.

Prisons throughout the U.S. have tightened restrictions on what can and
can’t be sent through the mail, to combat the flow of drugs from the
outside world to incarcerated individuals. Some states have banned
colorful envelopes, greeting cards, and even computer printouts. But
Pennsylvania’s prison system is the first to fully eliminate personal mail.

Started in 2009, Smart Communications provides technology to
correctional systems, including e-messaging, a limited form of email
that King uses, and video visiting, a teleconferencing system that some
prisons have adopted in place of in-person visits. In 2016, Smart
Communications unveiled its MailGuard system, touting it as the first
system to fully eliminate postal mail in jails.

Today, Logan estimates that of the 100-plus state correctional agencies
and county facilities that contract with Smart Communications, about
half use MailGuard, and he’s in discussions with at least a half-dozen
more. To accommodate the increased mail volume, the company recently
bought a 20,000-square-foot warehouse and added 40 employees. Logan
wouldn’t comment on the company’s finances, but a copy of the contract
obtained by /Bloomberg Businessweek/ shows that the Pennsylvania
Department of Corrections has agreed to pay Smart Communications
$376,000 per month for its services through July 2021.

Prison spending has ballooned since the mid-1980s, when the incarcerated
population was less than a third of what it is today. Overflows in
state-run facilities led to contracts with private companies, which
provide services such as food, telephone, and medical care, sometimes
sacrificing prisoner comfort and safety for cost efficiencies. According
to the Corrections Accountability Project at the Urban Justice Center,
more than half of the $80 billion spent annually on incarceration flows
to private companies
<https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58e127cb1b10e31ed45b20f4/t/5ade0281f950b7ab293c86a6/1524499083424/The+Prison+Industrial+Complex+-+Mapping+Private+Sector+Players+%28April+2018%29.pdf>.

Bianca Tylek, director of the Corrections Accountability Project, calls
digitized mail services a “tremendous growth opportunity” for private
companies seeking to contract with prison and jail systems. Using
Pennsylvania’s 27 prisons and almost 48,000 prisoners as a gauge, Tylek
estimates the nationwide market for mail processing could be more than
$180 million annually. She also cautions, “Because it’s early in the
game, Pennsylvania is probably getting a better deal.”

For King, who’s been in prison since the age of 18 for a murder she says
she was pressured into committing, mail has been her lifeline. “Most of
our families are a great distance, and phone calls keep us connected,
but when your 15 minutes are over, that letter or card is what keeps you
grounded,” she wrote. “When I hold a letter from my children, my mother,
my niece, or my man, there is a connectedness that I feel just seeing
their handwriting. I won’t feel that with a lightly photocopied version.
What color was it? What kind of design was it? You can’t tell, because
it’s faded.”

BOTTOM LINE - With prisons struggling to stem the flow of drugs to
prisoners, the market for mail digitizing services is only likely to grow.