[Pnews] Imprisoned Humanitarian Activist Shukri Abu Baker of the HolyLand Foundation - Historical Reflection III

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 28 13:26:49 EST 2018

https://notesfromshukri.wordpress.com/2018/11/14/historical-reflection-iii/

  Historical Reflection III

November 2018 - Shukri Abu Baker

/*The Holy Land Five are: *Ghassan Elashi
<http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/ghassan-elashi-holy-land-five/>*,
co-founder and board chairman;*Shukri Abu-Baker
<http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/shukri-abu-baker-holy-land-five/>*,
president and CEO; *Mohammad El-Mezain
<http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/mohammad-el-mezain-holy-land-five/>*,
co-founder and California HLF office representative; *Mufid Abdulqader
<http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/mufid-abdulqader-holy-land-five/>*,
volunteer fundraiser and *Abdulrahman Odeh
<http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/abdulrahman-odeh-holy-land-five/>*,
New Jersey office HLF representative.
http://freedomtogive.com/the-holy-land-foundation/*/

/*The Holy Land Five were convicted 10 years ago.
*/

*9/11, A Perfect Setting*
________________________

The days that followed 9/11 were flashing by quickly, but the mordant
bitterness persisted. Public rhetoric grew even more bellicose, the mood
volatile, and the discourse divisive. American Arabs and Muslims sunk
into a state of self-abnegation, ironically, as the shortest cut to
self-preservation. I whirled in the midst of it, but I had more than
self and family to worry about. Rumors were becoming prevalent about the
Bush Administration intending to add new groups to its list of Domestic
Terrorist Organizations. My anxiety swelled. Not that I had sensed there
was something fundamentally folly with the HLF that would have warranted
a justifiable move against it. Rather, I had an instinct that 9/11 would
present itself as a perfect setting for the butchers to finally send HLF
on her way to the slaughter… and there was no better time, because to
eliminate your enemy without raising eyebrows you must first dehumanize
if not totally demonize him. But isn’t that exactly what a decade-long,
media onslaught had already done to HLF?

What’s more, after 9/11 a major shift took place in the doctrine of
political correctness, where Arabs and Muslims turned into boogeymen,
called out as enemies of the State, or would- be terrorists who were
capable of launching another 9/11- style attack on this already
disquieted nation. People like that with tongue-twisting foreign names,
as the revised doctrine would suggest, were a threat to society and
better to not let them walk free. Hence, why not just throw the book at
them, find them guilty, lock them up, and throw the keys in some deep
sewer main in NYC or Dallas! After all better be safe than sorry, right?
Now what jury in what American city wouldn’t fall for an argument as
such that was elegantly wrapped in the American flag and eloquently
raised in the collective voice of 3000 innocent victims of “Islamic”
terrorism?

*Anxiety Builds*
_________________________________

In the following weeks, the DTO list kept getting longer and longer as
new names were being added. Thus, reflexively, when HLF had survived a
day, its name absent from that deathly list, it was cause for
celebration. Still the whole experience of being on the brink started to
take a toll on me and my family. My stress level hit new heights, blood
pressure out of whack, and migraines longer and closer together. The
wife and the girls felt a bewildering loss of normalcy. Parents
helpless. Things had lost their appeal, from taking the kids out for
ice-cream to spousal intimacy. Amazingly, though, HLF itself didn’t go
into a spastic paralysis; work continued to pick up, plans drawn, and
programs implemented. My staff did not descend into a panic mood,
either_ but did exhibit signs of fatigue as anxiety piled on anxiety not
knowing what the next day had in store. Truth be told, it was quite a
trial for any to function under such mental punishment. For, often times
a prolonged anticipation of a sudden death can be more dreadful than
death itself. No one exactly knew when HLF would heave its last breath.

*Judith Miller Knew*
______________________________

When my aide, Dallel, called me on Monday evening, December 3, 2001,
sounding like she had just seen a ghost, and told me Judith Miller had
been on the phone with her and told her she had learned from reliable
sources that the HLF had been designated a terrorist organization, and
that a public announcement would be made sometime in the morning__ and
that she had requested an HLF response. Dumfounded, director of
emergency relief services answered by saying she was not authorized to
comment on unconfirmed reports. By 9:00 p.m., Ghassan, I, and a number
of other executives were gathered in the office discussing the
authenticity of Judith’s forewarning. Knowing who she was and how
well-connected she had been, I had no reason to believe she was spinning
us. In fact, when it came to this particular “journalist” I always
thought of her as Israel’s most trusted, accessed, and celebrated
operative in the US. “It’s going to happen,” I told the distraught
bunch. “If Judith said we’ve been designated, then we are indeed, and
we’re going under.” “Not necessarily,” objected Ghassan, who had been a
staunch believer in American justice. “This is a country of laws and a
constitution. What cause did the government have to list the HLF?” At
that moment I believed my good friend was simply in denial. “This is not
coming from Washington,” I said impatiently. “Think Tel Aviv, habibi (my
dear one). Think Tel Aviv!” Shortly after his position had softened a
little, Ghassan worked the phone to put the Board on point, while I
started to write a short statement, which was to be taped onto the front
glass door of the building as notice to the public in case the next day
was indeed Doomsday.

However, in the quietness of the short drive home a tearful voice in my
head was crying: ‘/yaa.rubbis.tor’/, (O my Lord, let it not be).

*I Said Goodbye. No Shame*
________________________________

On that ominous night, I didn’t exactly know why, but I had been rather
calm and composed, my thoughts streaming orderly. Perhaps I was finally
at peace knowing we had reached the end of a very long road after having
put up a good fight at every challenge, leaving behind thousands of
lives saved and thousands of hopes raised and countless souls touched by
some of the most amazing acts of generosity, selflessness, and tenacity.
Or maybe I had, indeed, resigned to the fact that my charity’s life had
come to a spectacular finale, and there was nothing I, or anyone, could
have done to stand between it and its preordained martyrdom.

Yes, sorrow and grief were starting to collect in mass, but no shame had
ever seen the light. Hard-earned honor; that’s all I had taken back with
me as I stepped out of my small office- at the right corner near the
main entrance of the HLF building, got in the car, and drove home. It
was around 11:30 p.m., less than 8 hour away from the time the men in
suits would knock at my door, come inside, and hand deliver me the
Presidential Executive Order that had named HLF a terrorist
organization. All my personal items: family pictures; framed
certificates; awards; boss-day gifts; books; personal notebook; even the
beautiful live plants my wife had bought and decorated my office with…
All remained uncollected, undisturbed; as though part of me wanted to
stay behind till the very end,  so in the event my charity had to go I
would have been there, lovingly, faithfully, and eternally holding its hand.

*HLF Death Certificate, Hand Delivered*
_________________________________

As it turned out: December 4, 2001 (the tenth day of the holy month of
Ramadan) was indeed Doomsday. At 7 a.m. several federal agents including
officials from the Office of Foreign Assets Control, OFAC in the Dept.
of Treasury, had already been in my house serving me an official notice
authorizing OFAC to immediately seize any and all HLF assets, tangible
and intangible. When they asked me to sign a document that said I had
been served the notice, I respectfully asked them to sit down and be
patient till I had called HLF’s lawyer, and I asked if they cared for
coffee, to which they said no, thank you. I spoke with the lawyer, who
had a question for the Feds. I turned the phone over to them. They spoke
briefly before they handed the phone back to me. Still on the line, the
HLF attorney told me I could sign the statement. The Feds. left my
house. I stood in the living area, my wife disturbed, her facial
expression saying, is this really happening?

My system flowed with Adrenalin. Now, all of a sudden I felt defiant.
Yes, earlier I had resentfully submitted to the notion that HLF had
little or no chance of making it alive, but It was very difficult to
notice ( and accept) the elation on the faces of the executors. It was
beyond heart shattering to actually see these men walk in and out of my
house so sanctimonious, so peacefully, so handsomely, so professionally,
and so indifferently__ when as far I was concerned HLF lay dead and not
buried yet, and it was my moral obligation to preside over her funeral.
I felt no animosity towards anyone. Hate was not my thing. I could live
forever without enemies, because I had no existential need for enemies.
It was late that night I finally crashed. My wife couldn’t soothe my
hurting. She too had her own hurting to process; hurting for her great
charity and hurting for her beloved husband because out of 7 billion
people on earth she knew more than anyone what HLF had meant to me.

* A Ghostly Visage*
___________________________

I woke up at dawn, offered my prayers, and drank my coffee before an odd
feeling took hold of me. I felt as though my feet had sunk into some
muddy ground and were sucked in so deep I couldn’t jiggle them loose to
be able to walk, much less run away. Life Now without the HLF was my new
reality, and I had to face it, fathom it, accept it, and move forward
past it. This was the only way I could set myself free. Within the next
3 days everything HLF had would be in government possession. The largest
American Muslim Charity will no longer have to its name a pencil, a
paper clip, a desk, a chair, a computer, a printer, a camera, or a
single document. All will be gone. Moreover, every hard-raised
charitable dollar HLF had in its bank accounts to fund its humanitarian
programs will be frozen; All three million of them will sit idle in the
cold hands of the Feds., while Muslim children and their parents starved
and withered like stubble. And had you walked into the – now a ghostly
visage HLF headquarters in Richardson, you would not have believed that
until a week ago this place was bustling with life, Imbuing with
vibrancy, bursting with energy, and teeming with men and women, young
and old: staffers, volunteers, donors as well; all working together as a
“Helping Hand for Mankind.”

*A Night of Solidarity*
____________________________

On Saturday, December 8, in solidarity, HLF friends organized a
community breakfast in the multi-purpose hall, at the Richardson mosque,
and wanted me to address the crowd and speak on the latest development.
My wife, daughters, and parents (who were living with me at the time,)
and I were ready to leave the house. Out of nowhere, my father, now
lividly gestured, screamed at me, “Shukri? Why are you dressed like some
miserable pauper?” Stunned by his outrage I asked, “What do you mean,
father?” He replied, “Are you afraid something? Do you feel shame or
self-petty or defeat?”  Baffled, I just stood speechless, my eyes
squinted. The talkative turned-taciturn man (due to his severe hearing
loss) took a quick breath, raised his right hand and said, “I swear by
Allah no one in this house- not even you- is going anywhere before you
change your clothes and put on your best suit and tie.” His voice
softer, an air of empathy in his breath, he lectured me:

“Son, if you’re afraid they’ll now come for you, you’re wrong, because
they won’t. That Son of a b***h, Sharon, (Ariel Sharon, Israeli PM at
the time, who eerily had been in meetings with Bush in the W.H only 3
day before HLF had been taken out) all he wanted was to end HLF and he
got what he asked for. Now that the genie is put back in the bottle,
he’s not worried about you. Everyone is counting on you to lift their
spirits. There is a reason you have been called a leader, son. You can’t
be or even look weak, Shukri.” And my father was absolutely right. At
the time, I was underdressed for the occasion, because I had been
feeling sick in the stomach, having lost a sense of purpose without HLF…
and the seasoned man read it as a sign of defeat and shame on my part. I
walked into my bedroom, changed, and I drove the family to the mosque.
Over 500 supporters had packed the hall. As I walked to the podium the
crowd started chanting raucously: HLF…HLF…HLF. I faced the audience and
spoke for 15 minutes. In closing I said, “At this time, I might seem
like a wounded eagle, but I promise you I will never become paranoid of
heights”.  Spirits hit the ceiling…and the night gave me the triumphant
jolt I so badly needed.

Little did I know then that 11 years later most people in that crowd
along with many others would gather in this selfsame place, except this
time they won’t be facing me. Rather at that gathering they would be
facing a simple plywood coffin, inside which lay a petite body, freshly
washed and shrouded with three white cotton sheets. Rows upon rows will
stand behind the Imam who will lead them in the pre-burial, funeral
prayer. The deceased will be none other but my own lovely daughter,
Sanabel… and I will be missing from that scene. In the following year it
will be the funeral of my father, Ahmed— and aging but not bowed, I will
be also missing.  It really hurts. O God, you know how much it hurts—
but I at least I had been there for my charity, and thank you God, I had
been there to the very end lovingly, faithfully, and eternally holding
its hand.

______________________________/
Related/

Days before September 11, 2001. Reflections I
<https://notesfromshukri.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/days-before-september-11-2001/>In
"Words For Thought"

9/11 Flashbacks, Reflections II
<https://notesfromshukri.wordpress.com/2018/08/27/9-11-flashbacks/>In