[Pnews] From Family and Friends of Mutulu Shakur

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 26 11:00:47 EST 2018

*2018 was a big year for Dr. Mutulu Shakur and there's more in store for
2019! *
After a long time coming, Mutulu, represented by the Center for Human
Rights and Constitutional Law, the Post-Conviction Justice Project (USC
Gould School of Law), the National Conference of Black Lawyers, and the
National Bar Association, filed a federal court case
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=cc6b3ffe05&e=e9f3d86b9a>
challenging the government's interpretation and application of U.S. law
by the U.S. Parole Commission that has unjustly held him past his max
release date. Family and Friends of Mutulu Shakur (FFMS) will update via
Facebook
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=6e17a4dbac&e=e9f3d86b9a>
and Twitter
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=d51988267f&e=e9f3d86b9a>
as it works its way through the courts.
In April, Mutulu was honored at an event in Puerto Rico
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=15d4199373&e=e9f3d86b9a>
organized by the SAPP (Salud y para el Pueblo) Project
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=9d1c7dbae8&e=e9f3d86b9a>.
This project provides essential healthcare to underserved populations in
Puerto Rico, especially critical in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
Colleagues of Dr. Shakur-- Drs. Mario Wexu of Montreal, Walter Bosque
and Urayoana Trinidad of NYC-- represented him and their work at this
inspirational event. FFMS is assisting with a party to benefit SAPP to
be held in January in NYC, so stay tuned on social media for more
information as details are finalized.
In the fall, an Atlantic magazine article
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=5e0486d167&e=e9f3d86b9a>
and Jenna Bliss' 'The People's Detox' film
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=5610a67b19&e=e9f3d86b9a>--
both documenting the important history of acupuncture detox especially
poignant now that society is recognizing the opioid crisis-- were
released with contributions from Mutulu. Stay tuned for 2019 when a
feature-length documentary on groundbreaking work that healers,
including Dr. Shakur, accomplished in detox treatment and addiction
recovery is due to premier! We also want to give a shout-out to artist
Sophia Dawson who has been making waves with her #tobefreeproject
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=f999e54846&e=e9f3d86b9a>
featuring paintings of Mutulu. FFMS is grateful for and inspired by the
artists shedding light and bringing depth to community-based healthcare
and political prisoners.

We sincerely thank everyone who has already donated and who helped make
all of the accomplishments of 2018 possible and sustained Dr. Shakur's
spirit and strength all this year! As we move into 2019, funds are
needed for ongoing legal efforts as well as basic necessities to
supplement what a prison wage is able to provide for.

To make a tax-deductible donation to Family and Friends of Mutulu
Shakur*send a check or money order made out to Community Aid and
Development Corp. to P. O. Box 361270, Decatur, GA 30036-1270 with
‘FFMS’ as the memo. *
If you do not need a tax deduction for your donation, but would like to
become a monthly sustainer *recurring donations can be set up through
the FFMS PayPal
<https://jerichony.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=ae490b854f&e=e9f3d86b9a>*.
Even $1-5 per month would help immensely as we move into a new chapter
of juggling and struggling.
Again, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for being here with us
along this journey!
In the words of Mutulu, 'Go All Out,'
FFMS
p.s. If you are on Facebook and want to help spread the word, you can
create your own #GivingTuesday fundraiser, invite your contacts to
donate, and Facebook will match donations:

 1. Click *Fundraisers* in the left menu of your News Feed.
 2. Click *Raise Money*.
 3. Select "Community Aid and Development Corporation" in Decatur, GA as
    the non-profit recipient.
 4. Cut and paste the info above to fill in the fundraiser details.
 5. Click *Create*.