[Pnews] The Meaning of Parole

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 27 17:19:33 EDT 2018

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/letters/parole.html

  Opinion | The Meaning of Parole

March 27, 2018

*To the Editor:*

Re “Parole Must Mean Something
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/opinion/parole-meaning-sentencing.html>”
(editorial, March 19), about the New York State Parole Board’s decision
to grant parole to Herman Bell, who was convicted in the 1971 killings
of two police officers:

Since my retirement as a commissioner on the board, I have been
advocating for the release of long-termers who are now aged or addled
but transformed by time and maturity, and who pose no risk to the
community. I can do this because I’m not concerned about political
fallout and my job security.

So I congratulate the board for its integrity in granting parole to Mr.
Bell. The decision shows that the panel members understand their role:
to assess the candidate’s risk to the public after the person has served
the court-determined sentence and to grant parole, with continued
supervision in the community, /unless/ the parole panel can articulate
clearly why the person poses a threat.

This job does not include re-sentencing because of the nature of a
crime; your editorial is entirely correct that “vengeance is not
supposed to guide a system of justice.” Victims who call for eternal
lockup should also know that vengeance doesn’t heal.

BARBARA HANSON TREEN
OGUNQUIT, ME.

<https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/us/politics/george-nader-elliott-broidy-uae-saudi-arabia-white-house-influence.html?action=click&module=editorContent&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending>