[Pnews] Brutha Sitawa: CDCr and Soledad Prison retaliate with false reports to return me to solitary confinement

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 27 10:45:42 EDT 2018

http://sfbayview.com/2018/03/brutha-sitawa-cdcr-and-soledad-prison-retaliate-with-false-reports-to-return-me-to-solitary-confinement/

  Brutha Sitawa: CDCr and Soledad Prison retaliate with false reports to
  return me to solitary confinement

*/by Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa, principal negotiator, Prisoner Human Rights
Movement - 3/26/2018
/*

For years now, I have endured threats, both overt and covert, from the
mouths and hands of CDCr’s (California Department of Corrections and
rehabilitation’s) OCS (Office of Correctional Safety), ISU
(Investigations Services Unit) and IGI (Institutional Gang
Investigations), all of them paramilitary services that boast they are a
gang and call themselves the Green Wall. (See my article “Sitawa:
Exiting solitary confinement – and the games CDCr plays
<http://sfbayview.com/2016/12/sitawa-exiting-solitary-confinement-and-the-games-cdcr-plays/>.”)

This pressure has intensified ever since, following our 2013 nonviolent,
peaceful hunger strike, negotiations between Gov. Brown’s designated
CDCr high officials, such as Corrections Secretary Scott Kernan, Under
Secretary R. Diaz, Director K. Allison and others and the four principal
negotiators – myself, Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa (Dewberry), Arturo
Castellanos, Todd Ashker and George Franco – became seriously heavy.

And every prisoner who has been released to the general population (GP)
from solitary confinement, from January 2012 to the present, has
struggled with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – Solitary Confinement
(PTSD-SC). (See “PTSD SC: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Solitary
Confinement
<http://sfbayview.com/2018/02/ptsd-sc-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-solitary-confinement/>”
by me and Baridi Willliamson.)

It has been clear that the ISU and IGI personnel here at SVSP (Salinas
Valley State Prison, popularly known as Soledad Prison) knew this and
harassed, intimidated, tried bad jacketing (spreading false rumors) and
tried locking many of our class members back up in solitary confinement.
And they knew that I was the first principal negotiator who had been
released to a Modified General Population (MGP) yard. CDCr and its OCS,
ISU and IGI were keeping track of where we four principal negotiators
were housed and our movement overall.

      Every prisoner who has been released to the general population
      (GP) from solitary confinement, from January 2012 to the present,
      has struggled with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – Solitary
      Confinement (PTSD-SC).

On Oct. 13, 2015, I arrived at SVSP Receiving and Release (R&R). Upon my
exiting the CDCr Transportation bus and entering the R&R, I was met by
the wicked ISU-IGI Welcoming Committee, guards T.J. Smith, M. Hernandez
and DeAnza. They escorted me into a dark property storage room and let
me know that I was not welcome at their prison – a failed attempt to
intimidate me.

Now since that date, the “Green Wall” is alive and well here at SVSP. I
have been threatened by those older prison guards face to face, while
younger guards stood in their gun tower, hoping I would react to one of
those Green Wall guards so that they could say, “I got that Dewberry”
(i.e., Sitawa).

One such instance occurred in 2016 during the holy month of Ramadan.
While I and other prisoners were entering the mosque, there stood one of
those Green Wall corrections guards, named McClean, who threatened my
life while his supervisors – sergeants – and other old guards – Green
Wall correctional officers – stood by and listened. C/O McClean said to
me, “We will get you, Sitawa, off C-yard somehow. You won’t be around
here for long!”

My response was directed to the two sergeants standing nearby. I asked
them, “Are you going to discipline your guard?” They answered, “We’ll
talk to Officer McClean.” The other older Green Wall guard instructed
all prisoners to enter the mosque. Now I had to restrain the Bruthas,
because this guard McClean, along with his Green Wall buddies supporting
him, threatened my life!

      The “Green Wall” is alive and well here at SVSP. I have been
      threatened by those older prison guards face to face, while
      younger guards stood in their gun tower, hoping I would react to
      one of those Green Wall guards so that they could say, “I got that
      Dewberry” (i.e., Sitawa).

The above challenges are just a drop in a lake against me and the
revolutionizing work that the Prisoner Human Rights Movement has done
inside CDCr, especially over the past seven years, 2011-2018. Through
our movement, we have changed CDCr.

I stand with the prisoner movement that is currently challenging SVSP’s
Green Wall (ISU and IGI) guards’ eavesdropping on our legal phone calls,
racial discrimination, racial imbalance and worker discrimination, about
which prison officials have been notified through appeals, grievances,
complaints and letters between 2015 and the present. (Note to the
reader: Please stop and re-read the above once again. And allow the
above information to soak in before you continue reading!) This is a
classic case of retaliation, harassment, intimidation, and overt threats
and acts.

On Jan. 11, 2018, while I was waiting to be released for my work
assignment, I looked out the cell door and observed a guard, later
identified as Lt. J. Ortega of SVSP’s ISU, and his subordinate, T.E.
Flores, a K-9 officer, heading toward our cage. Lt. Ortega informed me
that he and Flores were conducting a “routine” cell search.

My response was, “Lieutenant, you guys don’t do ‘routine’ cell
searches.” Lt. Ortega escorted me to a table within the B-section
dayroom where our assigned cell was located. And while we were at the
table, Lt. J. Ortega observed me looking for his CDCr ranking label as a
Lieutenant of ISU. He stated, “We don’t allow outsiders to see our
ranking.” He went on: “There’s nothing personal about this cell search;
it is a routine search.

“I have to cross our t’s and dot our i’s, because we [ISU and IGI] know
that you’re the key negotiator in the Ashker v. Brown lawsuit. I heard
about you, Mr. Dewberry, when you first came. You were the first one of
the four representatives out of SHU and the last one back in.”

I realized at that moment that this cell search is in relation for the
Ashker v. Brown class action lawsuit, which was the true purpose of this
search. And this is a clear demonstration of retaliation coming from
SVSP’s ISU and IGI personnel.

Lt. Ortega left and walked over to speak with Flores, then returned to
the table where I was seated. He said, “Dewberry, you’re going to the
hole for investigation. I replied, “For what? There’s nothing unlawful
in my cell.” Ortega directed C/O Palacios to escort me to the holding
cage inside the mental health area.

Lt. Ortega and Flores brought my celly in shortly after me. These ISU
guards knew from the onset of this matter that I was innocent – with
nothing unlawful in my cell. Yet Ortega ignored this knowledge and wrote
a false lockup order to have me removed from MGP and put me in solitary
confinement (SC).

      I realized at that moment that this cell search is in relation for
      the Ashker v. Brown class action lawsuit, which was the true
      purpose of this search. And this is a clear demonstration of
      retaliation coming from SVSP’s ISU and IGI personnel.

I am now realizing that this Lt. Ortega (ISU) and his cohorts are driven
to illegally place me/us in solitary confinement – officially called
Administrative Segregation or Ad. Seg. – at all costs. I realized at
that moment that those two ISU personnel were about to commit a crime by
setting up myself and my cellmate.

Lt. Ortega and Flores have committed an unlawful act by planting
contraband in my cage to make a false accusation in order to justify
taking our property and later claiming they found dangerous contraband
inside that allows them to prolong my isolation. They have a history of
doing this at SVSP.

It was clear that Lt. J. Ortega’s superior was also informed of my
innocence, yet Ortega was clearly aware of what he and his squad of
ISU-IGI were doing: targeting me in retaliation for what I was doing to
change the ol’ Green Wall culture here at SVSP Facility C. Myself and my
cellmate were escorted to DI and placed in cage 228 Ad. Seg. with our
lockup order forms.

The following evening, Jan. 12, myself and my cellmate received our
personal property back from ISU-IGI, at which time they made no mention
whatsoever of any “dangerous contraband.” They even admitted that they
removed several Ashker v. Brown legal documents out of our property.

C/Os Franco and Flores from ISU both provided me with a CDC 128-B form
to sign in order to expedite my Institution Classification Committee
(ICC) hearing. I had requested a copy of the CDC 128-B but was denied.
They gave the forms to their supervisor, Lt. Ortega, who was required to
promptly provide them to his ICC superiors for my ICC hearing – but he
did not.

      I am now realizing that this Lt. Ortega (ISU) and his cohorts are
      driven to illegally place me/us in solitary confinement –
      officially called Administrative Segregation or Ad. Seg. – at all
      costs.

On Jan. 18, 2018, I went to my scheduled ICC hearing, where the
committee consisted of CC II Meden, Associate Warden Solis, and Captain
Gonzales. The ICC’s decision was to hold me in solitary confinement for
approximately 90 days. I notified them that on Jan. 12, I had signed the
128-B. The ICC informed me that ISU personnel did not provide them with
the 128B, which would have allowed them to make a more accurate analysis
and return me back to the MGP.

It was apparent that Ortega and his ISU-IGI personnel did not want for
me to be released to the MGP. And by withholding the mandatory CDC 128-B
information from the ICC, they knew that I would not be released by the
committee. The ICC informed me that they would be contacting the ISU-IGI
staff as to why my due process was being violated and that the ICC would
fast-track my case and place me back on the MGP. This ICC realized that
there was no other purpose for ISU-IGI holding me in solitary
confinement any longer.

On Jan. 19, 2018, Lt. Ortega appeared at my assigned cage door,
informing me that they (ISU-IGI) were issuing us (my cellmate and me) a
new lockup order. Now Ortega and his squad were falsely saying that they
found dangerous contraband inside the property they had searched on Jan.
11-12 and returned to us on the 12^th – a full week before.

I said to Ortega and his subordinate, ISU guard DeAnza, “Really. Come
on, Ortega. You are doing this because yesterday your ICC superiors
discovered that you withheld my signed CDC 128-B from the ICC so that
they could not release me. So they got on your case. And now you’re
bringing a new false lockup order claiming you found dangerous
contraband a week ago.

“But you did not, because you would have both reported it in writing,
and I let your ICC superiors know before yesterday’s classification
hearing.” Ortega shrugged with a smirk on his face. My celly told him,
“You knew he’s innocent from Day One. And you know it now. So why are
you ignoring this truth? Just to keep him locked up and from returning
to the GP.” We both refused to sign Ortega’s new lockup order, turned
and walked away from the door.

On Jan. 23, I learned that my first fake writeup, the lock up order by
Ortega and his ISU-IGI, was voided for due process violations. A new RVR
was issued. But nowhere in Ortega’s writeup report does he identify any
location in the cell where the “dangerous contraband” was supposed to be at.

This raises the question of how it was located inside Ortega’s ISU-IGI
office and not in our cell. And why he waited a week after completing
the search and returning our property – except my missing Ashker v.
Brown legal case documents – to suddenly produce that contraband. And
during that week made no mention of finding any “dangerous contraband”
whatsoever!

On Jan. 25, I went before the ICC again on Ortega’s latest lockup order,
at which time the committee extended my stay in solitary pending the
disciplinary hearing, after which they would bring me back for my
release to the MGP.

On Jan. 26, Ortega’s subordinate, Hernandez, sent the Ad. Seg. guard to
escort us to the office to speak with him. We both asked, “For what?
What do he want to talk to us about?” The guard shrugged his shoulders
and said he “Don’t know.” And we exercised our constitutional right to
remain silent and not talk to ISU/IGI.

On Jan. 30, while we were in the Ad. Seg. outside yard cage, Lt. Ortega
approached the front of the cage and said, in an attempt to intimidate
us: “You refused to talk with my officer?” We replied, “For what? What
is it that you want to talk about? We know what you’re doing to remove
me off the GP and try to keep me from returning. You have been
disregarding and ignoring evidence of my innocence from the start on
Jan. 11.”

Ortega said, “So you ain’t going to talk with us?” I answered, “For
what? The writeup you falsified to put me in here was voided.” He
responded, “I know, but if you don’t go talk with us, I will prolong
your stay in here.” He then turned and walked off with that smirk on his
face.

It was clear that Ortega and his ISU-IGI cohorts knew that they messed
up with their planned scheme to set me up, remove me from the GP and
keep me locked up in solitary confinement. And this is no single,
isolated case.

What many of you on the outside may not know is the long sordid history
of CDCr’s ISU-IGI-Green Wall syndicate’s pattern and practice, here and
throughout its prison system, of retaliating, reprisals, intimidating,
harassing, coercing, bad-jacketing, setting prisoners up, planting
evidence, fabricating and falsifying reports (state documents),
excessive force upon unarmed prisoners, stealing their personal
property, including religious and wedding jewelry, as identified below.

      What many of you on the outside may not know is the long sordid
      history of CDCr’s ISU-IGI-Green Wall syndicate’s pattern and
      practice, here and throughout its prison system.

Such as when the below-identified ISU-IGI-Green Wall “squad” ran into
our Northerner (on B facility) and Southerner (on C facility) cells,
assaulted and excessively forced them out, dragging them off the toilet
and out of their beds, naked, down the iron stairs onto the concrete
tier floor, degrading, humiliating and injuring them. And over just
these last few years, these ISU-IGI-Green Wall guards have run around
out of control, harassing and intimidating prisoners, especially those
of our Ashker v. Brown class action legal case.

Much of this is documented in CDCr’s Internal Affairs, Appeals Office,
and/or court cases – complaints, appeals and grievances, excessive force
and/or employee misconduct. Presently the Prison Law Office is
conducting an investigation of these ongoing patterns and practices of
overt and covert corrupt, unlawful activities by CDCr’s
OCS-ISU-IGI-Green Wall here at SVSP, especially Lt. J. Onega, Lt. M.
Stern, I.J. Smith, Sgt. J. Vinson, Sgt. M. Valdez, Sgt. G. Segura, T.
Flores, K.D. Melton, M. Hernandez, DeAnza, A-J. Franco, K. Castillo-Ruiz
and unnamed others. (See investigative reports and records of the Prison
Law Office and CDCR-SVSP’s Internal Affairs.)

And Gov. Brown’s designated CDCr officials – Secretary Scott Kernan,
Under Secretary Ralph Diaz, Director Kathleen Allison, Associate
Director Sandra Alfaro and Chief of the Office of Correctional Safety –
are all aware of the ISU-IGI-Green Wall out-of-control long history
pattern and practice of corrupt activities such as those I’ve described
here at SVSP.

CDCr’s Green Wall guards and employees were exposed by the U.S. Northern
District Court in the 1990s and 2000s. See Madrid v. Gomez, and “Report
on Powers” by John Hagar, Judge Thelton Henderson’s appointed special
master.

Yet, decades later these CDCr officials have not only allowed this
pattern and practice to continue here at SVSP, but are targeting the
Ashker v. Brown class members to remove us off the GP, place us back in
solitary confinement, and obstruct, interfere with and prevent those
like myself and others within the Prisoner Human Rights Movement from
our peaceful efforts to effect genuine changes, for rehabilitation,
returning home, productively contributing to the improvement of our
communities and deterring recidivism.

Any prisoners who have been subjected to harassment, retaliation,
reprisals, being set up, evidence planted on them or in their property
or work area, physical assault, excessive force such as cell extraction,
theft of their personal property, falsification of documents, such as
  RVRs, wrongful removal from GP to solitary confinement, denial of
meaningful due process and so on: Contact the Prison Law Offce, General
Delivery, San Quentin, CA 94964.

Concerned citizens and members of the public and California state
legislators can let high CDCr officials know that enough is enough and
join in this collective concern by contacting CDCr and Gov. Brown and
demanding:

 1. CDCr and SVSP shall cease their retaliations against Sitawa N. Jamaa
    (Dewberry) and the Ashker v. Brown class members at this prison;
 2. CDCr and SVSP shall immediately rein in and stop the out-of-control
    renegade Green Wall-ISU-IGI employees here at SVSP;
 3. CDCr and SVSP shall cease the acts, overt and covert, of
    retaliation, reprisals, intimidations, harassments, coercion,
    planting evidence, setting prisoners up, bad-jacketing, fabricating
    and falsifying reports (state documents), and withholding evidence;
 4. CDCr and SVSP shall hold their subordinates to account, including
    the chiefs of OCS, ISU and IGI, and Green Wall employees, including
    C/O J. Narvaez, C/O Sanquist, C/O Torres, C/O Guinn, Sgt. Howard,
    Sgt. Sandoval, C/O Santana, C/O Tonuto, C/O Vallejo, C/O Solnick,
    C/O McClean, C/O Sanitos and more;
 5. CDCr and SVSP shall cease its old culture and old thinking of
    OCS-ISU-IGI and Green Wall employees and order them to back off of
    Brutha Sitawa and those Ashker v. Brown class members working with
    him to change SVSP Facility C general population with rehabilitation;
 6. CDCr and SVSP shall conduct its departmental investigation into the
    above-stated OCS-IGI-ISU-Green Wall culture, code of silence and
    unlawful activities here at SVSP, and make their findings
    transparent and public, holding all involved SVSP employees
    accountable and responsible.

Also call the California legislature’s Public Safety Committee on
Prisons and let Sen. Holly Mitchell and her committee know that there
are a lot of prisoners affected by this longstanding corruption of the
ISU-IGI at SVSP.

I am one of many who have been and continue to be affected by
IGI-ISU-Green Wall’s blatant corruption!

In Struggle!

/Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa (Dewberry)/

/© Feb. 1, 2018, by Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa, Prisoner Human Rights
Movement principal negotiator. Send our brother some love and light:
Ronnie Dewberry, C-35671, SVSP C1-118, P.O. Box 1050, Soledad CA 93960./